Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Help! Should a 10 year old have her own phone?

Previous  1234  Next
Author Help! Should a 10 year old have her own phone?
lor
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-03-28 17:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
a 10 year old kid with a phone? oh cmon, that's utter nonsense. She shouldn't be out that long so you can worry. [addsig]
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-28 17:33
she's only 10 wait 2more years
bjambean
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-03-28 17:49
There are kids much younger than 10 with phones now days, and I am all for kids getting the latest technology at early ages but the only concern is for safety I'm not sure what its like in Norway but over here there are loads of muggings for phones some people are shot and stabbed and one little girl was shot in the head just for phone.
kimmjio
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-28 17:51
Well dun u ppl have pagers services over there ? Get her a pager and see if she can manage. If alls well and she behaves ... promise to get her a handphone till she is 13 ?
Linkinpark17UK
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-03-28 19:24
Don't give in, wait a few months, shell probably forget and want something else, lend her one of your old phones, she'll get bored fast.
n|ck_xp
P900
PM
Posted: 2002-03-28 20:02
Say No!
She is just 10 years old come on!!!
Say wait 5-6 more years!!!
Just buy to her something else!!!
arroyootje
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-28 22:53
Ok, I teach little children in a school and almost all of them have mobiles... I had a FOUR year-old in my class with one!!!!! I think it's a bit pathetic, most of the kids don't even know their own number

BUT, times are changing and we have to accept that too... if all her friends have one, i suppose it's alright... but I don't think I would get one yet...

(also they drop them all the time and you'll be buying a new one before you know it )
lor
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-03-30 11:16
Cmon guys, I mean. She's a 10 year old kid. What does she need a phone for?

She shouldn't be out that long for you to worry about her. Do you allow her out the whole day or something? I'm not against anyone owning a phone, but does she really need it?

And she doesn't need one just because everyone has one. And children younger than 10 year old having a cell phone? now that's just stupid, they should be playing outside or whatever, not making calls on cell phones. And hell, they're not even working yet. You planning to pay their cell phone charges till they start working?

It's a very stupid idea, unless you have a kid that's always on the run, here one second, in zimbabwe the next...

heh, i wouldn't give my kid a phone. you can spoil em, but there are limits... [addsig]
prefer
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-03-30 16:51
This is ridiculous. Giving a 10 year old kid a cell phone just to get in touch? I'm not that old... only 22, so I hope I'm not being old fashioned, but when I was 10, I have brain enough to GET TO A PHONE and call my parents to tell where I am.

From the kids perspective, it's just something she wants just because her friends has. The cell phone is just one of the "in" stuff among other toys. A 10 year old don't see the usefullness of a cell phone, neither how to handle it as a valuable property.

From the parents perspective, they feel that with a cell phone to their kids, they'll be able to reach them wherever they are. But what if the kid drops it somewhere?

What I'm trying to say is that if a kid is being raised correctly, you'll stay in touch and know what your kid is doing, even without a cell phone. Giving them whatever they want will just make them spoiled.
Wings_Talons
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-04-04 12:34
Hey,

You are right, when we are 10 year old we all want so many gadgets and gizmos. But tell me would you have been a better person, or atleast one who knows value of costly things, if you had been given everything that you asked for?

Forget the health hazard or being in touch and all other arguments. Ask yourself if giving your daughter will actually help her to build her character. After all isn't that the parents first duty... to mould your child's character?

Think over it...
Lusipher
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-04-04 12:38
No!
wait till she is 12
ferrarista44
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-04-04 12:55
get her a nice, dandy phone.
something like a motorola v101.
check it here. http://www.howardchui.com/modules.php?name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=71

it's for her safety.
the world is getting more wicked everyday.

marc
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-04-04 13:03
i think that the pager idea was a good one you can still get in touch with her and there is not the same worry with the radiation as you wouldnt normally hold a pager against your head! if it was kept in a bag it would be safer than a mobile in terms of theft they arent seen as attractive with all of todays more modern phones.
Xeleven
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-04-04 13:20
Hey guys, and thanx again for your opinions! The pager idea is not bad, but unfortunatly this service as far as I know has been terminated in Norway ( because everybody's got cell-phones ). I really appreciate all the good advice, and have decided not to give her a phone for at least another 2 years.
roadrunner
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-04-05 20:43
I dunno why you ppl say it's better at 12. I myself was 27 when I could afford a cell phone - buying and keeping it. (Being a telecom engineer since 24 with better than avarage salary, still had to save money for more important things.)
I wonder why noone asked how comes the parents of the other girls let them have it, use it and show it. If I was you I'd ask the other parents to tell their children to keep it in their bag, or simply not to take it to school. If they're 10, I assume they don't really go out, just to school and back home.
Or if they desperately have to show-off with it, -and you and everyone you know can afford it- subscribe for hotline service or some barring so she can only call you. The big deal is having one, not to call each-other while they're in school. No sms, no chat.

I agree it can sound very demagog (hope this word exists in english), that when we were kids, there were no cell phone at all. But there was skate-board, sinclair spectrum, commodore64, and dozens of pre-nintendo lcd gadgets. Could we have them all?

My daughter is 7 months, I wonder what will be the case in 10 years though.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi