Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > Server IP Addresses

Author Server IP Addresses
Skaff
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-03-22 12:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I, like alot of other people keep getting 'Cannot connect to server' messages when I try to send/recieve email from my T39m.
The only thing I haven't tried (and I've been through the settings about two dozen times!) is setting the POP ans SMTP servers to IP addresses. The thing is I don't know the mail server IP addresses (they're not listed on either ISP websites) so can anybody tell me the IP addresses for:

pop.freeserve.com
smtp.freeserve.com
or
mail.freenetname.co.uk
smtpmail.freenetname.co.uk

Also is there any problem with Vodafone GPRS service in the UK that would prevent me connecting and collecting my pop3 mail?

I have even tried the email configurator at

http://www.sonyericsson.com/uk/spg.jsp?page=M8&B=ie&noredir=1

and still it doesn't work!

Any help greatly appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: Skaff on 2002-03-22 12:26 ]
bjassal
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-22 12:47
@Skaff

Welcome to Esato boards!

Your IP addresses :
- pop.freeserve.com : 195.92.195.154 or
- smtp.freeserve.com: 195.92.195.153 or

The easiest way to find out (from Windows) is to Start -> Run... -> Type in 'cmd' at the prompt -> From the newly spawned command window type nslookup pop.freeserve.com.

This will trace out the steps required to contact the server... Often the first item listed will be your ISP's proxy, however it will eventually list the IP address of your specified site, if it is recognised by the Doman Name Server (DNS).

I'm unsure about Vodafones policy w.r.t. POP3/SMTP, however I think you're trying to fix the wrong thing.

For any Wap related issues including mail, I would recommend that you first try alternative WAP gateways (I use Sony-Ericcson's). Once you can access the web through here, you should then be in a position to configure your email.

I know the Sony-Ericcson allow ports 110 and 25 which are POP3 and SMTP respectivley.
From the URL you specified earlier, I would use the WAP configurator first. Upon successful dial up, I would then use the Email configurator.

Hopefully, this should get you going....

Good Luck!

peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-03-22 13:08
bt internet is the same. It only works with the address in full even on a bt local rate connection

This post was posted from a T68

Skaff
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-03-22 13:26
Thanks bjassal, I'll try the IP settings you gave me.
Just one 'newbie style' question: What is the Sonyericsson WAP gateway? How do I change it on my phone? Will it replace my current Vodafone gateway? Will it mean that I will be billed by a different service provider?
Hang on that's four questions! Sorry I just got carried away.

Anyway if someone could give me the info I would be chuffed (happy).

These forums sure are vital when you're trying to get your head around WAP, Gateways, APNs, etc.etc.

Skaff
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-03-22 13:57
Sorry it's me again bjassal.

I replaced the Freeserve mail DNS names with the IP addresses you gave me AND IT WORKS! So thanks very much for that.

I did an 'nslookup' on the Freenetname ones and the SMTP search result was a long string of IP addresses. I presume the last one in the string is the actual smtp server IP?

I just looked at that sonyericsson WAP configurator and it asks me to choose a WAP service provider.
At present I am connected with Vodaphone GPRS if I choose the Ericsson WAP from the configurator am I still going to get a GPRS speed connection to the network? Can I store both services on the phone and choose either to connect to as I wish?

I hope it's not going to take you all weekend to answer these questions!
Cheers
bjassal
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-23 10:23
Hi Skaff,

Unfortunatly, my wonderful network has not yet enabled GPRS services.... We all love one-2-one for that!

Anyway, I couldn't comment on which is the most suitable GPRS service. On the WAP configurator, I would try using something alternative to the Vodafone GPRS WAP gateway if you're still having email problems. It should not replace your existing settings... Once you fill in the appropriate details You'll receive a text message with WAP configuration settings.... It's at this point you can choose to append to your phones existing settings or replace them. Therefore you can choose NOT to overwrite your Vodafone settings (At least I hope so.... I'm not familiiar with the T39)

In terms of the list of IP addresses, you should be able to use any. Web sites often choose to register multple addresses to load-balance the number of users using any one server. It's predominatly for performance reasons, so feel free to choose any IP address for the list you feel is suitable.

Cheers.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi