Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > POP3-problems with my T68

Author POP3-problems with my T68
tobbeman
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 09:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all,

I really need some help! I canīt get my pop3-client to work. My client canīt find the server. It seems to be a regular problem of the T68 users.
I have tryed everything I think.

I have a wap-account, Campuz mobile(Europolitan). When I will check my email I connect with this account. I have tryed 3 different pop3 accounts but with no result.

What could be wrong? I donīt think itīs the pop3-accouns thatīs wrong. Canīt I use my wapaccount to connect and check email. Or do I need a ISP to call?

Plz give me some help and advice.
pinolo77
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 09:42
I have the same problem,i am on orange switzerland.I already tried with the ip address,but can't manage to read my yahoo mails.Any help?

This post was posted from a T68

tobbeman
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 12:09
I mailed Ericsson about the problem and they told be that my wap provider most support to send/get mail with pop3.
So probably this is the fault I think
mrNoodles
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 12:40
It works for me, but Im on Comviq, and has Tele2 as ISP. Might be that?!
Scuppered
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 13:08
I'm on Orange UK so this might not apply to you, but I had a similar problem...it was to do with the APN setting of the GPRS Data Comm setup. I needed to have a new (seperate from my WAP GRPS) mail GPRS connection set up, using the APN "orangeinternet" (no quotes) rather than "orangewap" for the WAP setup. I spoke to Orange customer services and they talked me through it. Took about 3 attempts though. I had to get the person that knew what he was talking about.

Hope this makes sense.
ferrarista44
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 13:33
the problem that filipino users had lay on the smtp server....

instead of:
smtp.mail.yahoo.com

it was:
smtp.globenet.com.ph

(globenet being the network's)

maybe the other networks use their own smtps.
just maybe.

arnoldc
Sony Xperia V
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-19 13:38
I have to emphasize and support the post of Scuppered that some operators require two APNs. One for WAP over GRPS, and one for Internet over GPRS. So, if you're trying to access mail via the data account for WAP over GPRS, it will not work. You should use the data account for Internet over GPRS.
Scooter1me
T68 grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-19 14:21
If you want to do a Firmware update for your t68 in the US you first have to call Sony Ericsson at 1 800 374 2776 to get a reference number. You then call Sony Ericsson Service Center in Minnesota, 651 229 5826 with your reference. They promise a 3-4 day turnaround from the day they receive the phone. Following info I found on Esato, I was able to retrieve my pop 3 mail account (earthlink) from iStream using GPRS. I was not able to retrieve my e mail account through data GSM settings. I am sure it has to do with the older version software my phone came with. After speaking with Ericsson in England yesterday, they advised me to get the firmware update in order to correct these issues. The new t68i will be available shortly. AT&T is already marketing the phone in certain areas - although I prefer to stick with Voicestream service. I hope this helps.
Svedge
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 14:45
What you'll need is a GPRS/GSM Data account. The email client will however not work with a normal WAP account (depnds on your network).

I had the same problem untill I got the Data account.
peaceboy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 14:57
Yes, getting a data account does work.
However, as with alot of other people, you can receive but not send. I'm having that problem. I was told to use IP address instead of smtp. But what if I do not know the Ip address? The ISA doesn't want to tell me. Any other way to solve this?
tobbeman
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 15:06
Hi,

I check the ipnr in the Chatprogram Mirc.
When you are connected to a server type /dns hostname and you will have the ipnr.
tobbeman
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 15:08
My ISP isnīt supporting GRPS yet. I only have a wap account. So I canīt check my mail without a GPRS account?
P
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 15:09
I found I couldn't connect at first when I put in the server addresses. So I got the IP address of the servers, and put that in instead. It now works fine. I'm using a standard WAP dialup number and it connects through it. I'm on genie using 915000 if anyones interested.
If you want the IP adress of a mail server, use tracert in dos and it will resolve the name. To use it, just load up a dos shell (command.com), and type 'tracert [server name]'. It will display the IP address as long as its valid. Then just put the IP into your phone. And make sure you get the ports correct too, as that could cause problems. (110 for POP3, 25 for SMTP).
Hope this helps,

P
khaled
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-19 16:11
Or use the tools here: http://www.amnesi.com/

to find the IP address - sometimes a reverse lookup on the IP address reveals some other servers you can try.

Quote:

On 2002-03-19 15:09, P wrote:
I found I couldn't connect at first when I put in the server addresses. So I got the IP address of the servers, and put that in instead. It now works fine. I'm using a standard WAP dialup number and it connects through it. I'm on genie using 915000 if anyones interested.
If you want the IP adress of a mail server, use tracert in dos and it will resolve the name. To use it, just load up a dos shell (command.com), and type 'tracert [server name]'. It will display the IP address as long as its valid. Then just put the IP into your phone. And make sure you get the ports correct too, as that could cause problems. (110 for POP3, 25 for SMTP).
Hope this helps,

P

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi