Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Ordered my T610 from Carphone for £210 simfree =D

12  Next
Author Ordered my T610 from Carphone for £210 simfree =D
LiL_MJ
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 22:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
went in2 CPW 2day and wos looking around and then i saw my neighbour which worked there. waited inline and came our turn and we ended up with him at the till. we asked about if they had the fone and he sed not instock but he can order for us with 30% discount
£90 off and we paid £210. the fone should b with my on tuesday morning. Reeli hope its problem free with no hissing

wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-06-08 22:46
Nice1 - I hope no more than £150 with my discount ;-)

This message was posted from a T68i

LiL_MJ
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 22:50
anybody ordered there t610 from carphone within the last few dayz? i want to know if its hiss free or isit random? as im kinda woried it'll hiss. than il hafta keep takin back 2 exchange.
Marcos
T630
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 22:52
Can you sort me out with a discount, with profit to yourself of course
TheWhizz_68
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 22:52
Had 3 last week from CPW , all hissed m8...
The last one i got from them 03w20 was a bit better , but its still annoying!!!

Good luck dude!!
vassago
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 22:56
You can get it online on Orange payg for £144.99, then you can get it unlocked for £20 by Orange, so thats £164.99 for a sim-free!
LiL_MJ
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 23:04
thats not called sim free m8! thats still not factory unlocked. wont be the same as a simfree handset. sorry m8! cpw workers only get 2 discounts on simfree handsets per year. done me one alredi and dont wana take d piss. he would rather earn the profit himself reeli! sorry!
vassago
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 23:06
Oh so when orange get the SE factory unlock code that does not make it unlocked, must be my mistake then!
LiL_MJ
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 23:09
its wos still locked to orange m8! ders a difference.
thats y the big difference in price m8.

vampyriaerotica
P1
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 23:10
The price vassago got is really tempting but I reckon after unlocked, the orange welcome message will still appear not forgetting to mention the ugly orange logo on the front bottom face-plate.

Could someone whom done it confirm this?

Thanks.
m for momo
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 23:10
Actually for the T and Voda users why bother to unlock the phone? If you don't have to use the hone on other network
vassago
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 23:11
You will have to explain this to me, as you have lost me. What is the difference between an unlocked phone and a sim-free phone?

I would prefer to save a little money and spend it on something else and have a phone that takes all sim-cards!

[ This Message was edited by: vassago on 2003-06-08 22:12 ]
LiL_MJ
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 23:15
firstly i believe in trying to sell the fone will be far less. as it wos pay&go and locked previously. In a simfree wun bcos it is more the fone will get a higher price in sale. som ppl prefer sim free fones.

also as stated upbove the startup logo will get anoying after a wile and the logo's r bit of a pain 2 get rid of if not known how to remove it properly.

m8 let me try get a full explanation if ther is a proper wun.
im sure thers a difference or the price wouldnt b this big gap lolz

[ This Message was edited by: LiL_MJ on 2003-06-08 22:18 ]
vassago
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-06-08 23:20
Go for it. Although u have me stumped why any one would pay so much more, for what seems the same, apart from the aesthetics!
suicidebob
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-06-10 03:33
Ok, this is my understanding on the subject (but I may be totally off target)

Operator locked phones usually come with restrictions for their use, below are some of the customisations that have routinely been mentioned on Esato:

• asthetic modifications to the cover of the handset with logos (eg. Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile are such cases of this)
  • customisations of the user interface - Vodafone with their "currently" unmodifiable or deletable menu icons and Live, T-mobile with icons and T-Zones menus (unsure whether modifiable)
  • customisation of the handset design - some phones are only specifically available to certain operators due to contracts/agreements between the manufacturers and the operators, case in point would be Vodafone and their Sony J6 (almost identical as Sony J5 in all but colour scheme)
  • Exclusive handsets such as Orange SPV or the Sharp GX10 (Vodafone) - can be a good thing if you like the handset but not sure if they can be unlocked to use on other networks which is a potential bad thing
  • Operator locked features. Because a contract phone handset's cost is usually subsidised by the operator, they don't want to lose out by having you changing to other operators easily and hence get a handset considerably cheaper in the process within a few months of a contract being started. By locking features the operators can prevent this loss. Downside is that some features may be missing, or in the case of AT&T handsets in the US, firmware upgrades must be AT&T specific ones and they won't unlock your handset at all (in the event that it is possible to unlock it to use another operator, you'd probably still be customised with all the AT&T stuff as they may have wanted their customers to only be able to use services they provide and no other competing ones)
  • software customisations - phone settings such as data accounts and being preinstalled to the handsets. Unlocking a handset would not remove these settings - possible that master reset would not remove these settings either due to being hard coded into the handset eeprom chip.

Sim-free phones on the other hand means just that, the phones have not been provided for use to any one specific phone operator, and therefore they do not contain any customisations that operator locked phones may have. The firmware on the handsets are only customised to the region that they are made for eg. European, US, Asia etc. Upgrading the firmware of the phone does not need to be operator specific as is the case for some handsets (albeit very few - again AT&T in the US comes to mind).

Sim-free handsets do cost a lot more, but for the privilege, you don't have most of the above customisations of the operator locked/unlocked handsets. Technically, an operator unlocked phone will work on other carriers but then you have to put up with customisations that your new operator doesn't use/support.

One word of caution for Sim-free handsets though, I believe that they can also be pre-customised to specific settings at the request of the store you buy from. For example, some CPW sim-free handsets have been programmed with MViva data accounts preset (MViva happens to be the mobile internet service provider that CPW own) and master resetting the handset does not remove this account - I guess it enables them to have another income stream via this service. I would assume that some other sellers of Sim-free phones may also be requesting the manufacturers provide handsets with customisations specific to the store - although I would need clarification of this.

The only way to guarantee a full Sim-free handset would be to buy a phone direct from the manufacturer but they tend not to be competitive in price to some of the Sim-free phones in store or online.

@LiL_MJ
Can you tell me if your Sim-free T610 from CPW has been set with the MViva account as default? I would like to know whether master resetting the phone would erase this account too, but I don't want you to go out of your way unless you want to find out for yourself because you may not be able to save or upload some of the ringtones/picture messages/themes again.

Hope the above info helps... if I got any info incorrect, my apologies

SuicideBob
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi