Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > About Sonyericsson P800 and the Nokia 7650. Which is the best?

Author About Sonyericsson P800 and the Nokia 7650. Which is the best?
lor
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-03-10 06:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
We shouldn't really start worrying about the p800, it's not even released yet and god knows what will happen in september.

They might change it for the better, nothing to say till it's out though. [addsig]
Yellow-Hollow
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-10 11:14
I doubt SonyEricsson have the time to make a new look ion the P800. I think we'll get it as it is now. I think it's a pitty though.

So todays releaseinfo-date is september?
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-11 17:32
DARK > the SE-model you gave the link to, is the prototype shown on Comdex Fall last year.
It should only be a prototype,..but of course one could hope that SE will do that one

Yes it does have Sony Memory stick and should have 65000+ colors.

Jan

Yellow-Hollow
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-11 18:55
WOW..That's a lot of colors. Nice resolution etc. or?
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-11 20:36
Yep,..would look something like an Ipaq H3870, same numbers of colors,..very neat

Thats why I hoped that this prototype would come.

BTW: the NEC 515 has got 65000 colors too I believe

Jan
Middelkoop
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-12 12:10
"Some people say that you can remove the keyboard. But then you'll get the feeling of walking around with an incomplete cellphone, and maybe the feeling what you've payed for stuff you don't use anyway. And, of course, one of the most important parts; why buy a phone you're not satisfied with? I mean, if you remove the keyboard-flip, you're probably not satisfied with the phone. And you shouldn't have bought it in the first place."

That's just plain silly. The keypad isn't worth that much. Also, a Palm m505 comes with a leather screen cover, hardly anybody uses those. Those that mean that we're "not satisfied with the pda"? This argument is nonsense. If the p800 is good without the keypad, then who cares.

"Another thing that is worth mentioning; if you remove the keyboard -- doesn't the big screen behind it broke when you have it in your pocket etc? It doesn't have any cover at all. It may be broken fast if you choose that solution."

Screens have become stronger the past years, unless you bash it against the floor or wall it won't break, and I don't think the 7650 will survive that either. A simple screen protector will prevent scratches and dirt from making a mess. I've been using pda's like this for years and no fatality so far.

"Personally I think Nokias solution on the keyboard is better, you just slide it down from behind. And that feature cuts the phone in two peaces. I like it, but I hope they have made it stable to hold -- and I hope we don't get the feeling of that the keyboard will fell of or feel loose."

For phone usage, yes. For pda usage it is almost worthless. For decent text input you *need* a touchscreen or decent keyboard. The 7650 doesn't even have decent pda functions, the p800 does and fortunately it also has a touchscreen.

"SonyEricsson did the oposite thing. They made the phone bigger just to have enough space for the keyboard. The width of the phone is too big to, after my opinion."

The 7650 and p800 are just about the same size. 1mm won't mather. Also, for a phone alone (or even a very advanced phone) I think the 7650 and p800 are too big. This is why I wouldn't even consider the 7650. The p800 however is capable of replacing a pda in some cases, which might actually make the size worth it.

"I think it's possible to make a phone smaller and still have a big enough screen."

It's not just the size, it is also what kind of screen that mathers.

"Be honest with yourselves? Do you really like the look of the P800?"

No, but it can replace my pda and phone, and that's what I am looking for.

"Well, I'm not going to buy it in the first place. I want something stylis, like the Nokia 7650."

There is more to it than "style". You obviously don't need a pda, so going for the p800 doesn't make much sense. The arguments you've given so far don't make much sense, and have a big chance of insulting people rather than getting your point across.

"Untill now when I got my nice T68, I love it. Nokia have to much bugs, and I think we'll be without the bugs in the P800. But, the looks on it make me doubt on which phone to bye next time. The 7650 or the P800?"

If the T68 does what you need it to, then why not keep it? The only reason I sold my T68 and am now waiting for the p800 or some other pda & phone in one device is because I've got too much stuff to carry around all the time. A digital camera, mp3 player, phone, pda, keys & wallet. And I've only got three pockets to put them all in.

"In fact I think that the P800 is better on the inside than the 7650."

Yup, same size, more memory, better input method, more functions, "fuller" version of the same os (symbian 7), triband etc etc.

"Therefore I think Nokia will make a new phone directly after releasing the 7650, just to keep up with Ericsson."

I highly doubt it. The p800 has a pda os, pda input type, pda size and phone functionality. Nokia already has all this with the 9210, just in a different way. They could release another device to counter SE, but I highly doubt they will. They didn't bring out a competitor for the T68 (yet).

"Another thing that might happend is that Nokia delays the release of their new phone, just to install the new features. Then SonyEricsson will be out with it first anyway."

The screen would have to be completely changed, the flap out keypad might as well be removed, the software would have to be changed, they would have to make a different design, which would basically mean a whole different phone.

"But, ooooh. I can't believe you prefere the look of the P800 before the 7650. I think almost all of you like the 7650 best, but you can't tell it loud:) You just can't commit that Nokia made a better looking phone."

I have no use for a keypad, and am I the only one who finds the screen on the 7650 just too damn small compared to the size of the overall device? The p800 might have a gayish color, but I do like the design.

You're arguments make you sound like a highschool student or something similar.

"I'm neutral though. I'm sick of Nokia, and I love my new T68."

I don't understand how you could have trouble with this decision.
- You love your T68 so there is no real reason to change here.
- If you want a buffed up phone with a camera and flip out keypad, get the 7650.
- If you would like to have a pda or device with pda functionality (which almost always means a touchscreen) and a phone at the same time get the p800.

If you're just looking for something cooler than the T68 you only need to wait. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some better 7650-like phones out soon.
Ne0
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-03-12 12:12
The kaypad is just to make it easier. U can most likely dial a phonenumber on the toutch-screen too
Nokia DISconnecting people
SonyEricsson F**King with people
Motorola HURTing people
Your face, your ass...what's the diffrence!
peterelder
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-03-12 12:19
for me the p800 is the best i just can't wait until its out
mcastro
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-12 12:25

would the P800 somehow look like this if Sony didnt come into the picture???
peterelder
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-03-12 12:28
probably
mhorton
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-12 13:21
For me to the P800 looks the better phone,
Yellow-Hollow
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-12 15:11
Middelkoop:

What I did was to put up many different features for the Nokia and the Ericsson cellphone. Just to make a nice discussion out of it. Therefore I wrote negative and positive sides for both phones.

Perhaps it was a little invidious to use "I" and "I'm" as own thoughts when I wrote.

You certainly know many things about me, after I've wrote stuff about cellphones.
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-12 16:04
Middelkoop > You have to remember, that none of us have really tried out any of those phones,..people are just giving their opinions/ideas/good versus bad things on these new phones/pda's.

You might wanna add, that you are just giving your opinion. Your opinion/ideas might be right, and they might be wrong.

If I dont agree with another persons opinion, it doesnt neccesarily mean, that I'm right.

And none of us knows how these phones work in real life.
On paper the features look very nice, but they might not be that good once one tries them out.

I hope that the P-800's screen is of better material than the T68. If it isnt, it will scratch very easy, as a lot of people have encountered.

Jan

Bobby68
T650 Green
PM
Posted: 2002-03-12 23:37
I have to try the 7650
StoneRoses
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-13 07:22
In my openion N7650 has better design but N7650 don't even have touchscreen, which is the most important input for the PDA function of the phone.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi