Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > How can i communicate with my computer?!?!?!

Author How can i communicate with my computer?!?!?!
Oaklants
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-05 17:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I want to be able to manage my pics and melodies on my computer but the only ways i konw of doinf this are via bluetooth or infa red. What software and hardware do i need for each and how much do they cost? £'s wise. I think bluetooth sounds pretty pricy what about infa-red do i need a special ericsson IR port or can i use any? where can i get em from? thx
Oaklants
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-05 17:33
oo and a nother quick question ..... wtf is bluespoon
mrNoodles
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-05 17:44
Is it an LapTop or an stationary computer? If its a Lap it probably has a IR, or else you could buy a data cable DRS-10/11.
Should work.
ganeshk
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-03-05 18:43
Hi,

You can also buy a infrared adapter for your standard desktop PC. There are 3 main types (you don't need any special Ericsson hardware, just standard ones):

1. serial-IR
2. USB-IR
3. Motherboard IR adapter

The motherboard IR adapter is probably the cheapest (around £12-14 at dabs.com), but your motherboard needs something called an IR header. Most new motherboards have one. However, you still need a wire coming from your motherboard to outside your computer, or some way of attaching the adapter within your case.

I personally have a actisys serial-IR adapter. Got it at http://www.expansys.com for £25. I've heard people say that you can buy IR adapters for even less in computer fairs, but I went for the actisys one because I wanted one that works with Linux as well. Maplin sell a serial-IR adapter for £39.

USB-IR adapters are in the same price range as serial-IR adapters - probably a bit more expensive.

Windows 98 onwards has built in support for serial/usb-IR adapters (aka IR dongles). Drivers are provided for Win95. I'm using mine with Win95 OSR2 (driver came on disk from actisys & from Ericsson Communications Suite).

So, there are your options if you want an infrared solution. Alternately you can use a cable (DRS-10/11), as stated before.

-Ganesh

[ This Message was edited by: ganeshk on 2002-03-05 18:46 ]
bjambean
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-03-05 18:46
bluespoon is a bluetooth headset not yet released bery light 9g and very technically clever and has won awards blah blah if you wanna know more goto any internet search engine and type bluespoon
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi