Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > Please tell me...

Author Please tell me...
synch
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-01 19:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello there!

I've just bought T68 because I could get it for half the price. I went from Siemens C25 to T68, and it is a huge diffrence. I have never been very interessted in cell phone stuff.. But now when I have this great phone, I'm hooked. I want to learn everything:)

I almost got it all, but there are a few things that I still need some help to understand.

Here it goes:

-Bluetooth and IR- I understand both of them are cards(?) which I can install in the computer. Then I can transfer sound and pictures/backgrounds through the air to my phone. But what is the difference between BT and IR, what should I buy? And I've seen someone talked about headphones together with bluetooth, what is the deal about that..?

-The magic word- Does the magic word only work when I connect handsfree? I don't have handsfree, and I've tried to say "the magic word", but the phone wouldn't listen...

Would have been great if someone could tell me!
arroyootje
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-01 20:01
Hi,

Bluetooth connects to another device WITH bluetooth, through the air up to ten metres. Infrared is about thirty cm from another IR-port. you can have an IR-port on your laptop or something...
THere is a bluetooth handfree set, that means that it's not connected to your phone with a wire, but through the air...

The magic word is active when you are using handsfree and you say something and then your handsfree picks it up and activates the voice command option.

C U

synch
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-01 20:12
Thanks for prompt reply!

So what you are saying is that bluetooth connects pc-phone with a wire unless I have a bluetooth handsfree set. Then it will be wireless and the sound/pictures goes through the air?
Wouldn't IR be a better choice then? I've heard it's cheaper, and it's no wire in the way with IR, right?(I wonder why they say "and Ericsson have BLUETOOTH", with lots of excitement then..)

I have a lot of tunes and pictures on my pc, and I'm looking forward to send them to my phone. I just want to know what kind of "transfer device" I should buy..

Thanks again
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-01 20:25
actually, you must have misunderstood something, somewhere!

Both bluetooth and IR dont use any cables/wires. The only difference is that with IR the two units have to be pointed at each other, for it to function correctly. WIth bluetooth, you could have the phone in your pocket, and still have data transferring back and forth.

Ideally Bluetooth is better, because of this, but bluetooth, at the moment is much more expensive. However there wil be more and more bluetooth gizmos and gadgets released as time goes by...

its up to you wheter you wanna invest so much this early on... and it really depends what you are using it for..
if its only sounds/pictures, i recommend IR, mainly cos its cheaper
psikey
W960
PM
Posted: 2002-03-01 20:26
IR is an old technology now which will ultimately be replaced by bluetooth.

IR has slower transfer speed, needs line of sight between phone & PC IR card and is more prone to bad connection (in my experience especially from flourescent lights & direct sunlight).

Bluetooth is short wave radio based so you only have to have the PC & phone in the same area. Typically should work if PC is downstairs & your upstairs with your phone.

In my opinion, bluetooth is the way to go.
synch
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-01 21:00
Thanks guys! Now I understand...
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-01 21:02
Just glad we could be of assistance
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-01 23:21
Might wanna have a look at this topic I did on bluetooth,..(I do bluetooth headset design) :

http://esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=1694&forum=18&2

For bluetooth products and prices, you can check this site out :

http://www.expansys.com

Jan

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi