Forum > General discussions > Rumours > Sony Xperia Rumours 2020

Previous  123 ... 678 ... 130131132  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2020
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2019-09-22 01:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Current 5G rollout worldwide is limited so far, so yes it is coming but I feel Sony needs to focus on their phones first, and add 5G later. Sony magically announcing a 5G won't save them. Connectivity and networks is not something holding back Sony's phones and their sales.

As for leaks, those that recall, Sony did send out a memo to employees to crack down and minimize on leaks. i don't recall when this was but for sure after the Z1 was released, the the lack of leaks is nothing new.

Sure cad drawings come out and they will but specs are not always correct.

I remember when I posted the WH-1000XM3 photos on my blog I found on a retailer's site more than a week early from IFA, and Sony were very quick in telling me to remove them. They monitor a lot of sites for these types of leaks.

As for renders, they can't really do anything since it is a render and not a photo from Sony directly like an official photo or press photo.

Sure leaks are great, especially if any leaks from certifications has full or partial specs or even photos. But these do not always show off the actual device and how it will look like, since many time these are pre-production models or even prototypes not with final materials.
[ This Message was edited by: ascariss on 2019-09-22 00:20 ]
Ppl
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-22 06:59
Leaks doesn't have to be accurate. They need to use it to stay in the news feed.

Take Xperia 1 for example, the render leaked and that was pretty much it. And then they announced the device which wasn't gonna be out for another 3 months. Instead of announcing it if they kept it hidden but teased features until it was available, or controlled leaks about what it can do it would have had more press coverage. But they announced it and anything coming after that didn't make it into tech news. (the slides comparing pics, the superior night stabilization, cine alta etc)

Even the short film they shot on it wasn't featured in many sites. Which was after release, if they released a film before announcement that would have made a bigger impact imo.

It's controlling the narrative. It's mostly free and they need it.

I agree about 5G, Sony has a prototype they are testing with carriers. That's the right thing to do instead of blindly jumping right in just for the sake of it. Maybe next flagships will be 5g only?
[ This Message was edited by: Ppl on 2019-09-22 06:00 ]
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-22 10:23
The last sumanho article has screenshot of weibo post that says flagship amd midrange 5G.
I dont know if just SD 7xx series is getting 5G or 6xx too.

I hope they put 632 for "L4" and 7xx for 10 duo.
To sell them 5G in Japan.

I want to see next phone with rear panel of X1.
Top and bottom looped.
So the phone can stand.
[ This Message was edited by: Hawk12 on 2019-09-22 09:26 ]
Ppl
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-22 11:54
Have you seen the mi mix alpha? That's loop design with a futuristic touch. Note 10 also has loop and Huawei has trimmed the top and bottom which look like z1 and loop at the same time.

If they use loop now, it'll look like a copy. They surely wasted a lot of design. Arc is the savior
Lonewolf223
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-22 14:57
Arc is an impractical design i think

They have to adjust the internals to a great degree and would result in wasted spaces too.

They can continue the current philosophy or switch to loop design
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-22 15:02
Now we will see how bias are tech sites.
I highly doubt they will say these phones are sharp corners like they did to xz amd xz1.
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2019-09-22 17:35
It has been a very long time since I last was here. I almost lost hope in Sony after they have exited MENA market. Though they're still my #1 Android maker.

Is there's any rumour about returning to any market from which they have exited?
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-22 19:37
I do not see them coming back to places they have left unless sales start to grow a lot.
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2019-09-22 20:25

On 2019-09-22 06:59:37, Ppl wrote:
Leaks doesn't have to be accurate. They need to use it to stay in the news feed.

Take Xperia 1 for example, the render leaked and that was pretty much it. And then they announced the device which wasn't gonna be out for another 3 months. Instead of announcing it if they kept it hidden but teased features until it was available, or controlled leaks about what it can do it would have had more press coverage. But they announced it and anything coming after that didn't make it into tech news. (the slides comparing pics, the superior night stabilization, cine alta etc)

Even the short film they shot on it wasn't featured in many sites. Which was after release, if they released a film before announcement that would have made a bigger impact imo.

It's controlling the narrative. It's mostly free and they need it.

Except inaccurate leaks can be quite damaging to an unreleased device. It might turn off potential customers and make them consider other brands.

Some of the comments I've read on pages when a Sony device leaks, photos/specs or both, are quite alarming. Either people decide to post their own specs of what they want/think a flagship should be or the comments go on to criticize Sony on the specs or design. Maybe these are just super hardcore sony fan boys who are impossible to please.

I agree, Sony should have a better marketing strategy and PR division for xperia and perhaps things will change now that mobile has been integrated more but I don't doubt it. I guess the fall in sales and cuts to the mobile business have hit the marketing team as well. With Sony losing the rights to the next Bond, will be interesting if any Sony products are used in the film at all. Bond is holding some kind of phone here, but it could be anything .

Spoilers for the next bond in the link, so caution.
https://timetobond.blog/no-time-to-die-set-pics/

Sony should have marketed the xperia 1 a lot more in areas where it sold and of course announcing it and then waiting months for a release is stupid. Sony used to do this a lot with many of their devices in the late 90s and early 2000s. Announce something and then 3-4 months later it is released. Sony should control the narrative as you put it and of course they need it but seems that the culture at Sony is not that easy to change.

I don't recall seeing anything about the xperia 1 being sold in Canada, or even the xperia 10, and looking at their products on their site shows nothing, not sure if an error or maybe Sony will be leaving the Canadian market a well soon. Maybe this is an error on the site, who knows.

https://www.sonymobile.com/ca-en/ca/products/phones/

The fact Sony has announced their latest devices at IFA but some go on sale in November, December or January is quite ridiculous. Supposedly Sony wants to capitalize on the Christmas shopping season which is understandable, but last time I checked January falls outside the Holiday shopping season. Even in previous years after IFA Sony had most the stuff on sale by November the latest, more so October, so this change is weird and silly.
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-22 22:37
They may not have Bond, but have Peter Parker ... 😏
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2019-09-23 04:18
Separated from the Marvel universe.

But that is not the point. I feel most people learn about new phones either from ads, be that in magazines or tv, but more likely from carriers in their countries who advertise the phones in store and on tv and other places like a bus stop, malls, etc.

Another source for new phones is from friends who buy that phone and of course celebrities on social media etc.

Perhaps Sony needs to do more creative marketing, but if their phones are not popular or even offered in the carrier's store, no one will know about them.
[ This Message was edited by: ascariss on 2019-09-23 03:59 ]
Ppl
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-23 07:19
Sony mobile's biggest problem is marketing and release strategy imo. If Huawei sells more in Europe without Google sony should sit down and think.

I read gsmarena's note 10 review, no mention of sony. But they say it's a little uncomfortable in hand. But if the roles were reversed they'd say samsung everywhere. (xz3's design). It's Sony's fault, if they had a more recent loop phone I'm sure more people would have noticed the resemblence.

I'm a Raimi Spider-Man fan. Had more heart and soul, they were iconic. Better than any marvel formulaic garbage which only entertain. Sony doesn't need marvel, they'd make more money even if they made a Spider-Man 4 now.
hgautam
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2019-09-23 09:14

On 2019-09-23 07:19:25, Ppl wrote:
I'm a Raimi Spider-Man fan. Had more heart and soul, they were iconic. Better than any marvel formulaic garbage which only entertain. Sony doesn't need marvel, they'd make more money even if they made a Spider-Man 4 now.

Off topic but same here....
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-23 10:35
I think they are trying to change.
They invited tech sites to Italy because of X1.
Gsma and iphone arena did there their reviews.

Mr. Buks has a post that in China pre-sale of X1 were 4x better than XZ3.
I know it is not much, but is already a positive number.

Someone made this concept mixing XZ and X5 but with ugly hole.
https://sumahoinfo.com/?p=35220

Sharp Zero Two has 240Hz oled.
X1 2020 needs to match.
Even if it is locked to 60.
[ This Message was edited by: Hawk12 on 2019-09-25 12:08 ]
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2019-09-25 19:16

On 2019-09-23 10:35:51, Hawk12 wrote:

Sharp Zero Two has 240Hz oled.
X1 2020 needs to match.
Even if it is locked to 60.
[ This Message was edited by: Hawk12 on 2019-09-25 12:08 ]

Why? Because sharp zero 2 has such a screen, Sony has to follow? 60hz is fine for a consumer phone, some are going for 90hz now and fine, but 240 is overkill and not needed for a normal phone. Yes a higher refresh rate will make the screen OS transitions/effects look smooth, but if the hit to battery life is significant, then I am fine with 60hz.

I'd rather Sony opt for a screen that can do variable refresh rates, say up to 90hz when required and 60hz for most the time and lower for times when a high refresh rate is not required to save battery.

High refresh rates don't make sense on cell phones, or any other battery limited device. Laptops with 120hz or higher refresh rates exist because most people are connected to AC power and those are gaming oriented and most consumer non gaming laptops/ultrabooks do not use such high refresh rates and generally use 60hz.

Instead of 240hz screens, Sony should be focusing on cameras like samsung will be and go for a design like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myLO0ijp05A

Side mounted, but with thinner devices, this might limit the size of the sensor unfortunately.

There is this article
https://finance.yahoo.com/new[....]es-return-geeky-210000625.html

Hopefully the engineers are Sony will go back to creating something unique and exciting in the near term.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 678 ... 130131132  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic