Posted: 2019-10-22 14:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I was just about to ask what it is.
Ppl
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-10-22 18:18
Just when we thought Sony learned their lesson and were not gonna succeed their flagship after 6 months. Here comes the X1 PE.
I wonder what they mean By "Professional".
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-10-22 19:27
At least it does not seem stupid like car branded phones.
Hope that trend dies.

In case this product exists, please vote for what you think this device could mean or you desire to see:

A) Xperia version of Samsung Note with desktop mode + wireless little xperia keyboard
B) Very high end tablet
C) 1/1.5" exmor , same DAC of Axon 7, front speakers tuned by Walkman team, Bionz X processor instead of software, 5040 x 2160 HDR oled, X1 Extreme instead of software , 4500mAh
[ This Message was edited by: Hawk12 on 2019-10-22 18:42 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2019-10-22 20:50
pro will probably just mean 5G and upgraded specs. nothing really significant. i'd put money on it.

also, all this camera talk but sony still lags behind apple and google and even samsung when it comes to image and video quality. yes sony does really well with stabilization under certain situations and does great in low light video, but it's lacking in many other aspects. In particular, sony's auto mode is just poor. this needs to change.

who knows if sony is consciously limited the performance of its camera phones to ensure their actual camera sales don't suffer, but if that's their intent then it's pretty ridiculous considering they don't really sell that many phones and the markets are very different.

moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-10-22 21:51
Camera behaves exactly like Alpha.
If someone is by the window against the light, the auto mode of any camera wont show you the outside with blue sky.
No camera will give you bright foreground without overexposed background.
You fix by editing.
Excess of HDR used by Samsung and Goolge leads to colour issues in daylight.
I have seen many photos of cloudy days by Samsung with blueish gray sky.

There are situations that background is indeed overexposed, since none of these tech sites use a camera as target, we cant know which phone is doing right.
If you pay attention to outdoor news, you will see camcorder has blown out background in many cases.

Apple and Google dont have 4K HDR.
8bit video cannot ever match 10bit.

Since they have now the Cinema Pro, the regular 4K probably wont get love.
Ppl
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-10-22 22:55
You should be clearer when criticizing, lags in quality or just poor are pretty vague. X1 has many areas to improve but calling it poor seems not fair. I've seen enough videos, reviews and comparisons to see what its strengths and weaknesses are. Computational photography, mainly HDR performance is lacking but the RAW noise reduction does pretty well in low light against others, especially S10. Detail level across the frame is pretty good too, compared to Samsung. (See whatgear's video, S10 has night mode with blurry details while X5 is sharp but with overexposed light sources)

Using a real camera you expose dark for highlight retention then you crank up shadows in post. You can do so easily in big cameras because of hardware dynamic range is greater. Half of the bit depth goes to highlights. Google does exactly this but to compensate the small sensor and poor dynamic range they stack multiple underexposed images and up the shadows in post. AI does creative decisions for you. Sony clearly doesn't want to do that. They should offer a mode for those who want it though.

Maybe they used to limit Xperia cam performance but not anymore. RNR alone is a big deal. X1 camera can be the RX100 of the smartphone world with some improvements in hw and sw. Don't forget these are the first fruits of the new vision and they are a huge leap compared to what Sony offered just a year ago.
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-10-23 00:23
I agree with few points. There are stuff I would like them to fix.

- Night photos have warm colours since xz2. Even under white lighting.
- AF is far worse than X Perf. Motion Eye was supposed to improve AF by huge margin, just like a9 wipes floor with other mirrorless. But weirdly AF has got worse since XZP.
- Steadyshot of 4K is much worse than Z series.

They clearly follow a different approach.
I rembember someone said it reminds a lot results of rx100, with different quality of course.

If I had a Note 10, I would only use manual mode.
Too vivid colours, foreground brighter than reality and too much NR at night.
It does not fit my taste.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2019-10-23 02:07

On 2019-10-22 21:51:11, Hawk12 wrote:
Camera behaves exactly like Alpha.
If someone is by the window against the light, the auto mode of any camera wont show you the outside with blue sky.
No camera will give you bright foreground without overexposed background.
You fix by editing.
Excess of HDR used by Samsung and Goolge leads to colour issues in daylight.
I have seen many photos of cloudy days by Samsung with blueish gray sky.

There are situations that background is indeed overexposed, since none of these tech sites use a camera as target, we cant know which phone is doing right.
If you pay attention to outdoor news, you will see camcorder has blown out background in many cases.

Apple and Google dont have 4K HDR.
8bit video cannot ever match 10bit.

Since they have now the Cinema Pro, the regular 4K probably wont get love.

all i just read are excuses. i said automode needs to be improved. exposure compensation for HDR should be faster in videos. Apple can do it, why can't sony? There's no excuse for it. Sony has the tech and know how. They should be on par or superior to other OEMs in every area. Anybody can take a pic/video and go to post processing to make it better. The point is other OEMs do it AUTOMATICALLY so you don't have to fiddle with it later.

moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Ppl
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-10-23 07:26
https://sumahoinfo.com/?p=36021

Are they tanking 11 on purpose?
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-10-23 12:09
All you need to do is click on the HDR if you want to record (still cam app).
Everything is done. 10bit video, wider gamut, much better exposure.

Apple has the best SDR videos, but SDR cant beat HDR.

The X1PE is out in Japan.
There is a Sony Imaging Edge mobile app, usb to ethernet , transfer and tagging.
Just stuff to help photographers to do their things quickly and easier.

Sales start on friday. Price is $ 1320.

Something weird. They say it also brings landscape home screen.
I think it was already there since android 5.
Mine is android 7, I have this.
[ This Message was edited by: Hawk12 on 2019-10-23 11:40 ]
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2019-10-23 20:37
The professional did not bring 5G.

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony[....]unched_in_japan-news-39768.php

It brings tweaks to the display, camera and the added support for LAN connection via the Type-C port, unfortunately, Sony does not include the required adapter in the box.

Support for 10-bit signal and a better-calibrated display based on the viewing setting for the company’s Master series reference monitor line with an Illuminant D65 color profile.

On the camera front, Sony is bringing the Imaging Edge Mobile app which allows upi to wirelessly transfer images and videos from Sony cameras to the phone. There’s also the Transfer & Tagging add-on which allows photographers to input tags and voice captions to photos.

Core spec sheet remains unchanged with the Snapdragon 855 and 6GB RAM with 128GB storage. Battery wise we have the same 3,330 mAh cell and the phone ships with Android 9 Pie out the box.

The Xperia 1 Professional Edition costs JPY 143,000 ($1,320) and goes on sale in Japan on October 25.

[ This Message was edited by: ascariss on 2019-10-23 19:37 ]
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-10-23 21:54
Anyone ever heard why Sony buys 120Hz screen if they have no intentions of letting us use?
60Hz ones are cheaper, so they would lose less money.
To android authority they said the it was about battery endurance.

Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2019-10-24 02:09
Some thoughts from an oldie on these boards ...

40TH Anniversary of the Walkman brand! To me this is epic and I LOVE Sony and how they stuck to their guns about audio quality in the mobile space. Sure they followed a tiny few trends for sales, but at it's core this specific brand, Walkman, was born from the former CEO wanting to listen to music on long plane flights and back in 1978 he pushed engineers to fit a Cassette player into his suit pocket/belt. 1979 the iconic debut and spawned new generations not only to run more but ENJOY listing to music while fully being mobile! THIS is the kind of thinking Sony Mobile CEO MUST acquire to fully push beyond the 'humdrum' of releases.

Ahem PS: for you kiddies that may not know what an actual cassette is, it's the icon for voicemail on your mobile phone because tape recorders were first used to record your home phone voice mail, and in studios lol.

We need engineers like this mad-scientist and tinkerer to drive innovation at Sony (like we've seen in the WH-1000XM3's and WF-1000XM3's (I own both) .... but he's driven Walkman to a whole elite or premium level.

IER-Z1R Signature Series In-ear Headphones video: https://www.sony.ca/en/electr[....]er-z1r#product_details_default

When can we see next level headphones for ALL Sony smartphones in package. Sony kills it in mobile photo sensors, but we need audio both in speakers and headphones in a total package to shift the thought, image, and paradigm of smartphones beyond just 'thinner bezel' or 90hz refresh screens or notch conversations; ugh.

The SmartWatch! What the F happened Sony?! You CREATED the mass market space here ... you set definitive staples:
Bluetooth connecitivity,
Messaging,
quick glance at information,
fitness (paired with pre-installed 3rd party fitness tracking app on SW2)
1 WEEEK battery life !!!! My Apple Watch 4 cannot go past a full 20hrs!
the large 46mm screen still is king today - that's over 7yrs ago for SW2 yet everyone forgotten!
(yes I know the MBW-150 was the initiator over a decade ago).

Sony ... stop using confusing alpha-numerical numbers in your smartphone naming schema ... it alienates a LOT of users (XSENEN3-32- blah blah) ... there is no warmth or human attachment from conversation to relevance ... and this has been lost since Z5 series. People are holding onto devices for 2yrs minimum now ... make their hard-earned dinero spent worth their time. Make them carry on the torch and association of warmth with your products with services that best SUITS THEIR needs and your BRAND and family of products/ecosystem!

Stop following Apple and others with 'Plus' to name the top end devices, see reason just above. Use Premium but make the device and bundled accessories (pre-order deal or in box) TOP quality premium products!

I'm hoping to find some rumours in 2020 shape up close to the ideals of what I've mentioned above.

PS: private message me if anyone has official and reliable global links to purchasing XZ1 Compact at reasonable price thx.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2019-10-24 02:18

On 2019-10-23 21:54:18, Hawk12 wrote:
Anyone ever heard why Sony buys 120Hz screen if they have no intentions of letting us use?
60Hz ones are cheaper, so they would lose less money.
To android authority they said the it was about battery endurance.

^ battery endurance makes sense if no 3000mAh battery. You pay for what you ask for with a hit in anything.

Everyone wants '5G' yet does NOT think about what it gives them beyond Data Speeds.
1. you want to download data at 5Gb/seconds (not actual just throwing a number here), BUT ... you're on a mobile device.
Putty, Bittorrent up/down, online file storage can fully use that kind of speed or much faster. Did anyone think about streaming? Audio/Video and the main component in smartphones ... Browser!
Audio/Video streaming will only improve in buffer being non-existent (no latency) or when switching channels etc, BUT faster speeds beyond LTE (non-congested networks) will not show you ANYTHING better because you're still human watching the movie listing to audio at it's regular playback pace. Who watches an entire movie at 120fps/900fps beginning to end? Exactly. It's like taking a 2019 Ford GT (LeMans winning supercar) and running the Autobahn flat out for 20mins and you have no fuel left and barely went 100miles; not exact math but you get the idea!

2. Faster data speeds means modem will use more higher frequency's and battery drain ... not to mention HUGE heat issues on your phones. No thanks nobody wants that. Sony is smart NOT to rush in and have phones BURNING it's customers hands. There is NOT enough networks and coverage yet in any country to fully enjoy this.

5G ... connected cars, shipping containers, transport trucks, cargo holds in trains, military drones or commercial drones at low height levels will get this first ... bring cost of modems down. efficiencies in battery life. I'd rather that first.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2019-10-24 13:02
@Supa_Fly

you're asking for a lot. yes, i think sony needs to return to the crazy innovation days, but sony neither has the money or resources to do that. Especially in mobile. Maybe it's japanese thinking or whatever, but it seems pretty clear to me that they do not want to take their high end products from other divisions (audio/photo) and put them inside a smartphone. they'll stick in re-branded "mobile" versions and claim that they do the same things, but we all know that hasn't been the case.

as for bundling top accessories, they did offer the WH-1000XM3 with preorder of the x1 in a lot of countries, though not all.

like you, i wish for the return of sony innovation. but the sad truth is that sony limits themselves in a lot of ways and are quite content at targeting a niche market with overpriced devices instead of the global mass market with more reasonable prices. sony's always come with a premium price, but it's been a long time since many of their products, not just phones, has earned the right to demand their starting MSRP.

moogoo
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 121314 ... 130131132  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic