Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Apple Reports Q2 2018 Results: $13.8B Profit on $61.1B Revenue, 52.2M iPhones

Author Apple Reports Q2 2018 Results: $13.8B Profit on $61.1B Revenue, 52.2M iPhones
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2018-05-03 02:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Apple Reports Q2 2018 Results: $13.8B Profit on $61.1B Revenue, 52.2M iPhones

For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $61.1 billion and net quarterly profit of $13.8 billion, or $2.73 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $52.9 billion and net quarterly profit of $11.0 billion, or $2.10 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. The revenue, profit, and earnings per share numbers were records for any second fiscal quarter in the company's history.

Gross margin for the quarter was 38.3 percent, compared to 38.9 percent in the year-ago quarter, with international sales accounting for 65 percent of revenue. Apple also declared an increased quarterly dividend payment of $0.73 per share, up from $0.63. The dividend is payable on May 17 to shareholders of record as of May 14.

In addition to the increase in the dividend payment, Apple says it will start a new share repurchase authorization of $100 billion and the company says it expects to wrap up its previous $210 billion repurchase authorization by the end of the current quarter.

“We’re thrilled to report our best March quarter ever, with strong revenue growth in iPhone, Services and Wearables,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “Customers chose iPhone X more than any other iPhone each week in the March quarter, just as they did following its launch in the December quarter. We also grew revenue in all of our geographic segments, with over 20% growth in Greater China and Japan.”

source Apple:

https://www.apple.com/investor/earnings-call/

^ Investors Earnings Call.

Seems the iPhone X is selling more than what analysts originally had thought. And earnings are showing all but the computing division is increasing revenues.

Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2018-05-03 11:56
Fantastic results, I expect nothing less from the Apple and the Juggernaut that they are.

Wish I had shares in them.

What was the situation with the average selling price of iPhones this past quarter?
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2018-05-03 12:09
I think that the reduction in average price indicates that iPhone X has not sold as well as expected . Not that it matters too much ...Apple makes so much profit !
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2018-05-12 04:29

On 2018-05-03 12:09:54, aussieland1 wrote:
I think that the reduction in average price indicates that iPhone X has not sold as well as expected . Not that it matters too much ...Apple makes so much profit !

Incorrect. This was talked about adnaseum on Bloomberg, Brightstar, and various analysts.

iPhones available for sale (as new or on contract) globally starting with least average selling price to highest:

iPhone SE
iPhone 6S - few countries up until recently
iPhone 7 / 7 Plus
iPhone 8 / 8 Plus
iPhone X

Now reverse the order for the most profits per model.

If Apple sells Less of the iPhone SE to the iPhone 7; then the average selling price will increase.
If Apple sells MORE of say the iPhone 7 or 8 proportionally to the the previous quarter then the average selling price will drop. The number of iPhone X models could stay the very same, but the mix of phone models sold could increase for the lower cost models. But the review, and thus profits WILL increase. Take into account a subsidy on the SE to the 7 occurs at the providers as they get those models at a slightly cheaper than full retail pricing to move inventory. Apple is relunctant on huge discounts of course.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2018-05-12 04:45
PS: Apple stock, traditionally over the last few years - up until the last 2 reporting quarters (3 if you include this one) ...

has dropped in price 1-5%+ before and on reporting day ... then rises slowly over the next few days.

Anytime a major report of huge share buy backs, and investments like what Warren Buffet's Birkshire co did (another 75K shares) just 24hrs prior to reporting (the official reporting by FCC regulations came in 24hrs before, the purchases where done roughly 30 days prior) ... then BOOM sky rocket like any other stock would.

Dividends have increased ... which for me on the Canadian dollar makes it VERY close to the top 4 major national banks dividends.

My personal plan for the next 60 days will be Banks, Apple as for me their somewhat affordable.
Apple has been and still seems to be a "trading stock" not a buy and hold stock.

Honesty: I sold my 2 shares in Apple Monday morning. Nothing I've stated has NOT yet already been stated via Bloomberg tech channel over AppleTV TVOS app via daily videos. Meaning I'm just surmising or repeating verbatim across the last week. Anyone can search Bloomberg.com ... select Technology and then filter by APPL or Apple. I despise and do not participate in pump and dump tactics.

Cheers.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2018-05-13 18:19
supa_fly

Even using your own logic it still means that Apple has sold more phones at cheaper price point compared to last quarter which is surely not something that they planned !

Not that this is relevant to while world but here in UK where iPhone is very popular I still don't see a lot of iPhone X -majority is still 8,7 etc
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2018-12-07 11:13
The graph says this to me:

Mac sales are steady in a declining market.
iPad sales are falling due to a saturated market. iPad is a long term device.
iPhone revenue improved when Apple expanded their range by keeping old models around longer at lower price points and again when the high price X model came out. Smart move!
Services increases over time as the user base increases. The new Mac App Store should increase this further.
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2018-12-07 10:14 ]
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi