Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > iPhones to regain speed with IOS 11.3

Author iPhones to regain speed with IOS 11.3
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2018-01-25 10:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
iOS 11.3 will let iPhone users switch off Apple's performance throttling 'feature'

APPLE HAS SHOWN OFF iOS 11.3, a hefty software update coming to iPhone and iPad users later this year.

The most notable incoming improvement is Apple's battery health indicator, which follows the firm's confession that it slows down the performance of older iPhones in order to prevent processors from demanding too much power from older Lithium-ion battery packs, which degrade over time and struggle to deliver the peak currents and battery life they could when new.

With iOS 11.3, Apple will show users the health of their iPhone's battery and notify when it needs to be serviced. As promised, the new feature will show users if Apple is hamstringing the performance of their handset, and will enable users to toggle the throttling 'feature' on and off.

Apple's battery health indicator will be coming to the iPhone SE, iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7 and 7 Plus. There's no word yet as to whether it'll be coming to the iPhone 8 or iPhone X.

iOS 11.3 will also equip devs with a new and improved version of ARKit. The update to ARKit 1.5 means it's now able to recognise vertical surfaces such as walls and doors, as well as map objects that are irregular in shape, such as a circular table

"Using advanced computer vision techniques to find and recognize the position of 2D images such as signs, posters, and artwork, ARKit can integrate these real-world images into AR experiences such as filling a museum with interactive exhibits or bringing a movie poster to life," Apple explains.

"The view of the real world through the camera now has 50 per cent greater resolution and supports auto-focus for an even sharper perspective.

New Animoji will also be coming with Apple's spring update, including new bear, dragon, skull and lion, er, things, as will a new Business Chat feature for Messages that will let users chat directly with companies including Discover, Hilton, Lowe's and Wells Fargo. This likely will be a feature exclusive to the US at launch, but this has yet to be confirmed.

continued;
https://www.theinquirer.net/i[....]performance-throttling-feature

cheers!
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2018-01-26 10:41
I didn’t notice any difference in the first place. I rather have longer battery life. Not that it’s bad.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2018-02-07 04:53

On 2018-01-26 10:41:26, hihihans wrote:
I didn’t notice any difference in the first place. I rather have longer battery life. Not that it’s bad.

Are you on beta? This has yet to this date not been publicly released as of yet, I don't think.

Good battery life you'll probably not see it as the "fix" apple deployed in the last 3 publicly released builds will be turned off automatically.

I think this is quite funny:
Apple finally has an excuse to ship a buggy or corrupt iOS software that can by default allow iPhones with faulty or degraded iphones to suddenly shut down ... and this was BEGGED and PLEADED by the masses of their users, and the press! Get it?! It's gotta be hilarious.

Still Apple should've made a public announcement first, posted on their site, AND in the notification of the update, leaving it OFF by default. This would've been a non-negative issue. Then more time and focus could've been done to A) launch Homepod on time in Christmas, b) to boost their revenues for Q1, and c) most importantly to RETOOL an FIX Siri's joke of a working AI.

|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi