Previous  123 ... 349350351 ... 385386387  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2018
yuunanase
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2018-08-02 07:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

Ois isn't good?

Of course OIS is good! Thats why Sony has been using them in the A7 series! But sony has found a way to overcome the need for OIS and be competitive. But of course adding OIS will make the camera even better!

Imagine having iso 6400 with a shutter speed of 1 second and be very stable! You can basically capture stars hand held!

Dont tell that oled is inferior to lcd pls

No they are not. Nor is oled better than lcd. They just have different strengths. Maybe in a generation or two, oled will be much better.

Lcd is much cheaper and sony is making profits from using lcds on their flagships

Er... never know that Sony is a non-profit organisation... and I guess that means maximizing the profit is a must?

Oleds have better black levels

Agreed

sunlight legibility

Again, not all oled panels are equal, nor are all lcds. XZ2 is brighter than S9+ which is in turn brighter than iphone X, but XZ2P is just bad

are thinner and lighter panels than lcd

Not really my concern. If someone who makes a phone who uses a lcd pannel, but overall thinner than its competitor, then its a winner. And in the current situation, I doubt that if they use a oled pannel on the xz2, the phone will be much thinner anyway.

provide better battery life

Yes, if you are looking at a black screen. But how about a white screen?

By the way, you are missing the point that OLED has a higher response rate than LCD.

And oleds are currently the most color accurate displays in the market (samsung panels), sony lcds are not at all accurate.

As I said eariler, it depends how the manufacturer tunes their screen. You can be using the same panel, but display different results. I know, both Samsung has spent a lot of time calibrating their screens, so their screens are great, and Sony has spent ages calibrating the LCD panel.

And FYI iphones are the not only phones with good oled displays
My frnd still has a galaxy s5 from 2014 still in perfect condition.

Yup, so was my walkman X (2009) ps vita (2011) which I don't use as much, and Xperia T, which I still uses every day has no such problem. and FYI, LCD can also cause a burn in.

Samsung diaplays are the best like it or not.
Iphones are second to samsung

Wow! As I said many times, there are always advantages and disadvantages, and currently, OLED are more or less on par with LCD or might be a little better, but its definately not miles ahead. That said, I would really love to see a Xperia with a good OLED screen, not an half baked effort like the LG V30 or Pixel 2
[ This Message was edited by: yuunanase on 2018-08-02 06:35 ]
venus, kiki, vulcan, rachael, anzu, akane, nozomi, hikari, hayabusa, tsubasa, yuga, togari, honami, sirius, leo, ivy, surime
XperiaX
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 08:11
Agree - OIS is not really needed. Better to keep working on improving the lens, sensor and particularly the software. Their new sensors for A7-series can shoot really high ISO without noise, so hopefully they can bring the same technology to their phones and allow low SS and high ISO without compromising quality. I think that is the way forward for Sony and we will probably not see OIS. Increasing the number of pixels with quad bayer array (new IMX586) is also interesting - potentially allowing for much better zoom performance while also improving low light.

Would love if they also implemented some sort of small interchangeable lens interface like a small E-mount - but probably quite costly to develop with only few customers.

On 2018-08-02 07:03:18, skyXperia wrote:

Yes. Samsung do own top-notch OLED and NAND flash. Now they cooperate with Frjifilm for the CMOS. While JDI still fighting for resources. SONY SEMI still working on their own. Sharp IGZO is expensive and quality still not there. However, Samsung will keep the best bin for themselves, just like SONY. LG is the only choice for SONY now. I guess SONY is already give up on waiting JDI to start the production line.
Apple can use Samsung OLED just because they can afford it. Chinese brand can get some with low price are really rubbing quality.

Don't get me wrong. OIS is great, especially in tele lens. All good tele DSLR lens have build-in IS. However, it won't really help you to take a blur-free pictures. What really helps you is high ISO, large aperture. I personally own a a5100 with 1670 OSS. The oss almost useless in video. That is why we have handheld stabilizer. Still photo does help but not much. I still pushing ISO and Aperture and Shutter Speed. However, S9+ adjustable aperture approach is creative but not really help.

Take a look with this:S9+ Footage, XZ2 Footage
Warping is shown on S9+ when he is walking. LG is even worst than this. XZ2 is way better.

Again. I am happy if they add the OIS. However, it don't really make a different. I am not here to protecting Xperia, say all the good things. Xperia now should work harder on their Camera software rather than throw in more feature.
[ This Message was edited by: skyXperia on 2018-08-02 06:06 ]

skyXperia
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 08:50
If they made a Tri-stacked version of IMX586, than Xperia may use it.
Now, even the future of Xperia is unclear. It looks like a tools for semi department promote their new innovation. I really doubt it will happened.

I heart that AUBE actually is a very early version processor for Aphla camera. I don't know. I hope some big things may coming.

Zackbuck: XZ2 is the last Xperia with LCD Screen.
Onleak: 2K OLED 5.9" screen

[ This Message was edited by: skyXperia on 2018-08-02 08:09 ]
hgautam
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 09:17
Same camera with OIS takes better pictures than without OIS. It can be seen in reviews of Xiaomi phones where flagship having OIS has good low light performance but same camera put in a mid range without OIS has poor performance in low light.

As for videos, samsung just uses a different algorithm for stabilization which might not be as good as sony. Sony's experience here much more than anyone else here. But others with ois and eis are not far behind. People take more photos so that matters more. Sony can have a clear lead if they add OIS.

As OLED, these burn in issues are exaggerated too much. My cousin whom I meet every week had a Note 4 since last 4 years and there are no issues in the display. Now he has the 9+ and the display is just better than any lcd I have seen. The black levels is enough reason that oled looks so much better than lcd. Yes the curves are hate worthy.
xpr
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 09:18

On 2018-08-02 03:57:43, Nevewolf wrote:
Sony will not use OIS, i read that on an interview yesterday, i can't find it, but they said that.
OIS in phones isn't efficient as you may think due the limited space.

It would be great if you could find it. Sounds interesting.
hgautam
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 09:20

On 2018-08-02 08:50:56, skyXperia wrote:

Really hope that's true. I can finally upgrade then....

Please post link to source as well.
Archdragoon
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 09:30
That's interesting information. Hope it's true.
Device : Xperia 1 II
Headphone : MDR-M1ST + MUC-S12SB1, ATH-DSR9BT, WH-1000XM4
DAC/AMP : PHA-2A
skyXperia
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 09:30

On 2018-08-02 09:20:01, hgautam wrote:

Really hope that's true. I can finally upgrade then....

Please post link to source as well.

That Weibo Post
xpr
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 09:41

If they made a Tri-stacked version of IMX586, than Xperia may use it.
Now, even the future of Xperia is unclear. It looks like a tools for semi department promote their new innovation. I really doubt it will happened.

I heart that AUBE actually is a very early version processor for Aphla camera. I don't know. I hope some big things may coming.

Onleak: 2K OLED 5.9" screen

On the one hand, Sony's LCD panels produce an excellent image and I prefer XZP's 4k LCD to Samsung's OLED - the colors look more natural. On the other hand, Sony have shown with Bravia that they can tune an OLED to look amazing.

Would be great if Sony would put it on an Xperia:
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo[....]ress/201805/18-049E/index.html

On 2018-08-02 09:17:44, hgautam wrote:
Same camera with OIS takes better pictures than without OIS. It can be seen in reviews of Xiaomi phones where flagship having OIS has good low light performance but same camera put in a mid range without OIS has poor performance in low light.

As for videos, samsung just uses a different algorithm for stabilization which might not be as good as sony. Sony's experience here much more than anyone else here. But others with ois and eis are not far behind. People take more photos so that matters more. Sony can have a clear lead if they add OIS.

As OLED, these burn in issues are exaggerated too much. My cousin whom I meet every week had a Note 4 since last 4 years and there are no issues in the display. Now he has the 9+ and the display is just better than any lcd I have seen. The black levels is enough reason that oled looks so much better than lcd. Yes the curves are hate worthy.

OIS helps produce better images of stationary objects in low light. However, OIS can't be as good as a tripod so if you want top quality, it won't help you. In simple terms, one could say that OIS is good for mid quality photos in low light scenes of stationary objects or people. There's also no denying that for most people, exactly those "medium" photos are the ones that matter. Most people won't use a tripod and most people probably don't even know the basics of photography.

Anyway, if we're trying to capture a moving object in low light conditions, a bigger aperture might help a bit, but youre going to need a higher ISO. I don't see any other way around it. Obviously better results with higher ISO also means that you can substitute exposure time for ISO (up to a certain degree) - that means that those mid quality images I mentioned before will be just as good.

Regarding OLED vs. LCD, well, just as was mentioned here before, if you want a black screen then yes, OLED is, of course, better - so I guess that "Always on" is better on an OLED screen by definition. But maybe you exaggerate its importance. Samsung tends to make their displays produce a slightly oversaturated, too vivid picture - that might be more visually appealing but it's not more realistic and it doesn't mean it covers a wider color gamut.

From what I hear, people say that XZ2Ps 4k HDR MLCD+ is a monster of quality.
[ This Message was edited by: xpr on 2018-08-02 08:47 ]
skyXperia
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 09:55

On 2018-08-02 09:17:44, hgautam wrote:

Ha. If onleak source is true, the screen will curve.
Lonewolf223
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 10:10
Xpr
Samsung has a dedicated mode for accurate colours.
It is as colour accurate as a display can go.
Sony lcds are poor in terms of colour accuracy
They are not up their with the top crop phones like galaxy and iphone x.
Please read some reviews.
Lg made oleds are poor and samsung one's are industry leading in terms of colour accuracy.
In samsung phones u can either have the accurate colours or a over saturated one. There is a dedicated srgb mode in those phones.
Average delta e of xz2 after custom white point adjustment is 2.9

S9s average delta e is 1.8 in srgb mode (gsmarena)
U check other sites for further info.
Sony display is a step behind samsungs.
U are only talking about adaptive display mode in samaung.

As loyal fans we should be properly informed.
hgautam
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 11:06
Xpr

Nobody uses a tripod and that's exactly why ois is important.
Suppose I am taking a picture in low light and the auto mode decides shutter speed 1/8, then I mostly end up with blurred image. But when I use wife's iphone or brother's galaxy this problem doesn't happen.

As for OLED, are you talking about galaxy s3 or note 4??? Because they had poor colors. The current ones are excellent in colors.

My xperia has as oversaturated colors as much as the galaxy and the colors are too blueish. It's a gift that xperia has option to calibrate white balance. I like puncy colors in display but white balance I like natural. Sony can easily tune that if they put oled in phones.

On 2018-08-02 09:55:24, skyXperia wrote:

Ouch....
[ This Message was edited by: hgautam on 2018-08-02 10:09 ]
xpr
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 11:41

On 2018-08-02 11:06:07, hgautam wrote:
Xpr

Nobody uses a tripod and that's exactly why ois is important.
Suppose I am taking a picture in low light and the auto mode decides shutter speed 1/8, then I mostly end up with blurred image. But when I use wife's iphone or brother's galaxy this problem doesn't happen.

As for OLED, are you talking about galaxy s3 or note 4??? Because they had poor colors. The current ones are excellent in colors.

My xperia has as oversaturated colors as much as the galaxy and the colors are too blueish. It's a gift that xperia has option to calibrate white balance. I like puncy colors in display but white balance I like natural. Sony can easily tune that if they put oled in phones.

On 2018-08-02 09:55:24, skyXperia wrote:

Ouch....
[ This Message was edited by: hgautam on 2018-08-02 10:09 ]

As I've said myself, few people use a tripod, but they exit. And btw, if you want to compare two smartphone cameras, at least part of that test has to be done on a tripod. Otherwise, you're just comparing ease of use.

Again, from what I hear and read, XZ2P has an excellent display, by any standards.
pigletsquid
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 11:54

As I've said myself, few people use a tripod, but they exit. And btw, if you want to compare two smartphone cameras, at least part of that test has to be done on a tripod. Otherwise, you're just comparing ease of use.

Again, from what I hear and read, XZ2P has an excellent display, by any standards.

Lol what percentage of people do you think use a tripod? Probably like 0.00001%
So no, tests shouldn’t be done with a tripod as it’s literally irrelevant for nearly all end users. Not to mention it defies the whole point of mobile photography - which is the convenience of having a camera in your pocket so you can capture shots wherever, whenever. If you’re making the effort of specifically taking a tripod with you to do photography then you might as well take a dedicated camera.

Obviously smartphone cameras can perform better with tripods, but that’s like saying they can produce better results with optimal lighting conditions so tests need to include studio lighting too
Moe87
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-08-02 12:38
Yes, everything has PROS and CONS
OIS has just one benefit, the chance to use slower shutter.
But even 1s can be too much for phones with OIS.

About screen.

Someone said somethung true. Color reproduction is up to the company, the way they want.
OP5 has oled and near 8000K while S6 has about 6500K.
Z3 has a very cold screen while XA1 shows something between 6400-6500K.

OLED is better when you have more blacks but it uses more power whern screen shows white.
LCD is thicker and heavier but it has longer life.
Sunlight contrast ratio can be high on LCD too, HMD Nokia 8 is above 4.0 and some phones with oled not.

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4265343888966810

Look at these pics, XZ2P x iX ( screen comparison)

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 349350351 ... 385386387  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic