Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung reports record $9.7 billion profit

Author Samsung reports record $9.7 billion profit
Tsepz_GP
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Joined: Dec 27, 2006
Posts: > 500
From: Johannesburg, South Africa
PM
Posted: 2017-07-27 10:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

First, the numbers - Samsung made $12.7 billion of operating income and $9.7 billion of pure profit last quarter, the highest in the company's history. That's net income of about 18% on $54.8 billion of revenue, and a very healthy margin for a company that is in the fickle consumer electronics business. That's not the division where most of the profit originated, though, but rather Samsung logged a stellar quarter because of growing demand for its memory chips, OLED display panels, and other humble components it has been building capacity for in the last decade or so. Even with the company's head Lee Jae-yong awaiting bribery trial in detention, Samsung still managed to revamp its inner workings enough to satisfy all demand for its wares

Buoyed by voracious requests for DRAM and NAND memory chips for everything - from servers to IoT connected devices - Samsung's semiconductor division alone was responsible for the whopping $7.2 billion in operating income on sales of $15.8 billion. That's about 60% of the total profits made by what analysts are already calling a "memory super cycle," but there was a decent contribution from something that is near and dear to our hearts as well - the mobile department.

It made Samsung $3.7 billion in operating profit, riding on the coattails of robust Galaxy S8 and S8+ sales that Samsung said are 15% higher than the ones of the S7 last year.

https://www.phonearena.com/ne[....]y-a-memory-super-cycle_id96428

Makes me wonder where those "analysts" are who claimed S8 and S8+ sales are lower.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2017-07-27 09:21 ]
Samsung Galaxy Note8 Exynos +128GB MicroSD + DeX & TouchPro Keyboard + U Flex LEVEL BT Headphones
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
Joined: Apr 04, 2005
Posts: > 500
From: bonnie scotland
PM
Posted: 2017-07-29 17:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
half of the $54.8 revenue comes from the mobile division.so i think the s8/s8+ might be a wee bit of a success.
samsung also became the worlds largest chip maker in Q2,overtaking intel.
galaxy note8
Tsepz_GP
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Joined: Dec 27, 2006
Posts: > 500
From: Johannesburg, South Africa
PM
Posted: 2017-07-30 10:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2017-07-29 17:46:15, daviep wrote:
half of the $54.8 revenue comes from the mobile division.so i think the s8/s8+ might be a wee bit of a success.
samsung also became the worlds largest chip maker in Q2,overtaking intel.



Truly amazing, I just saw the article about them being the largest chip maker in Q2.

What I like with Samsung Electronics business is how diversified it is, and at this point all the major divisions are making bank, all that investment in R&D is paying off. It's great to see a business who's income is not just focussed in 1 area, but multiple key areas in their industry.

These guys are a damn could business case study.
Samsung Galaxy Note8 Exynos +128GB MicroSD + DeX & TouchPro Keyboard + U Flex LEVEL BT Headphones
Shino03
S700
Joined: Dec 22, 2008
Posts: 444
PM
Posted: 2017-07-30 15:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
An awesome feat for Samsung!
I just wish all the other mobile makers make a profit too this year. Samsung and Apple have become too big that competition is getting poor.
[ This Message was edited by: Shino03 on 2017-07-30 14:41 ]
Supa_Fly
Sony Xperia Z5
Joined: Apr 16, 2002
Posts: > 500
From: Toronto, Ontario
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-08-03 02:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2017-07-30 10:24:56, Tsepz_GP wrote:

On 2017-07-29 17:46:15, daviep wrote:
half of the $54.8 revenue comes from the mobile division.so i think the s8/s8+ might be a wee bit of a success.
samsung also became the worlds largest chip maker in Q2,overtaking intel.



Truly amazing, I just saw the article about them being the largest chip maker in Q2.

What I like with Samsung Electronics business is how diversified it is, and at this point all the major divisions are making bank, all that investment in R&D is paying off. It's great to see a business who's income is not just focussed in 1 area, but multiple key areas in their industry.

These guys are a damn could business case study.



More like their damn good government setup; Oligarch. (I maybe off on the term but this goes back some 60yrs and with government deals way back allowed them free rain to expand with little competition within Korea - along with trade exceptions with neighbouring countries). All in all great power and it's NOT just the Electronics business but the other 6 main parts of Samsung in the early 30yrs allowed Electronics to thrive today.

Key Information:
Remember those few Samsung S60 devices of yesteryear that made BARELY any sales and money? I recall reading a Bloomberg article specifically about the INNOV8 release - their (& world's FIRST) OLED screen in production and shipping for retail sale. The article noted just how important that OLED would become!!
|AppleTV2|iPhone6S 64GB|Mac Pro 2013_TrashCan|Golf GTi ClubSport 9mths away
Tsepz_GP
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Joined: Dec 27, 2006
Posts: > 500
From: Johannesburg, South Africa
PM
Posted: 2017-08-03 17:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2017-08-03 02:26:33, Supa_Fly wrote:

On 2017-07-30 10:24:56, Tsepz_GP wrote:

On 2017-07-29 17:46:15, daviep wrote:
half of the $54.8 revenue comes from the mobile division.so i think the s8/s8+ might be a wee bit of a success.
samsung also became the worlds largest chip maker in Q2,overtaking intel.



Truly amazing, I just saw the article about them being the largest chip maker in Q2.

What I like with Samsung Electronics business is how diversified it is, and at this point all the major divisions are making bank, all that investment in R&D is paying off. It's great to see a business who's income is not just focussed in 1 area, but multiple key areas in their industry.

These guys are a damn could business case study.



More like their damn good government setup; Oligarch. (I maybe off on the term but this goes back some 60yrs and with government deals way back allowed them free rain to expand with little competition within Korea - along with trade exceptions with neighbouring countries). All in all great power and it's NOT just the Electronics business but the other 6 main parts of Samsung in the early 30yrs allowed Electronics to thrive today.

Key Information:
Remember those few Samsung S60 devices of yesteryear that made BARELY any sales and money? I recall reading a Bloomberg article specifically about the INNOV8 release - their (& world's FIRST) OLED screen in production and shipping for retail sale. The article noted just how important that OLED would become!!



The INNOV8 used a regular TFT, I remember it as I wanted it but it never made it down here. Nokia N85 was the first phone with AMOLED Display, AFAIK. You are thinking of the Samsung I7110 which was announced just after N85 in late 2008.
Samsung Galaxy Note8 Exynos +128GB MicroSD + DeX & TouchPro Keyboard + U Flex LEVEL BT Headphones
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi