Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > TrackID shutting down in mid-September

Author TrackID shutting down in mid-September
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
Joined: Dec 07, 2004
Posts: > 500
From: Saudi Arabia/India,Cochin
PM
Posted: 2017-07-07 06:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://www.gsmarena.com/sonys[....]in_midseptember-news-25978.php


Really sad to see it go. I have been using TrackID since 2005 or so with my W800i untill now on my S7E. I have history saved from 2012 too! It is such a simple and awesome app..wonder why are the pulling the plug on it
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Joined: Dec 17, 2003
Posts: > 500
From: Liverpool City Centre
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-07-07 07:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Bit of a stupid idea IMO. They should be developing it further not shutting it down, the idiots. Do we know if there is any sensible reason for them doing this?
moogoo
Sony Xperia Z1
Joined: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: > 500
From: Philly/DC
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-07-07 08:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Probably cost to keep it maintained. This field is dominated by Shazam. Track ID was superior in my opinion but people never knew about it. Shazam took the market.

That's my guess for it shutting down.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ
Website: Coming Soon
Supa_Fly
Sony Xperia Z5
Joined: Apr 16, 2002
Posts: > 500
From: Toronto, Ontario
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-07-08 02:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2017-07-07 08:44:03, moogoo wrote:
Probably cost to keep it maintained. This field is dominated by Shazam. Track ID was superior in my opinion but people never knew about it. Shazam took the market.

That's my guess for it shutting down.



VERY sad to see this go!

Cost to maintain is most likely the reason vs the lack of mindshare and revenue keeping the program/service alive not generating sales to Sony's music.

Personally I feel Sony squandered on such an amazing gem here!

First MAJOR lead into mobile music access and phone access! (even for Apple's partnership with Motorola - which failed = Motorola + iTunes)
No push for SE phones in the USA market - sure we had the Z520, K810, K850 on Rogers Wireless in Canada but with less than 7 Million customers that's NOT enough! No USA carrier no foothold to establish large mindshare.
No push for streaming music at ALL in North America and if you recall Sony was FIRST in this almost a decade ago - but even in Europe wasted that opportunity!

Wasted opportunities!

Will Sony allow the code to be open-sourced for someone else to take the realms?!
Shazam, SoundHound, SoundCloud and moreover Spotify took the world by storm!
|AppleTV2|iPhone6S 64GB|Mac Pro 2013_TrashCan|Golf GTi ClubSport 9mths away
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
Joined: Dec 07, 2004
Posts: > 500
From: Saudi Arabia/India,Cochin
PM
Posted: 2017-07-10 10:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Its the best music reconition app I have ever used. Never bothered to try out anything much even. The last few major updates had also brought in some nice features.
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
Root
W995 Black
Joined: May 17, 2016
Posts: 3
From: Cape Town
PM
Posted: 2017-07-10 18:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Such a shame, and i still use it. [addsig]
DarkKrypt
Sony Xperia S
Joined: May 15, 2007
Posts: > 500
From: Melbourne,Australia
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-07-11 23:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Shame like alot here I've been using it since K610 /w810 2006 and heaps with the w880 that was a thin phone back in the day.
Alternatively are what options?
Pocket Daily
[-] history GA628,T105,K610,W880,W910,K550,P1,G900,C905, Satio, x10 mini, arc, XS, XZ, XZ3, XZ5P
Tsepz_GP
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Joined: Dec 27, 2006
Posts: > 500
From: Johannesburg, South Africa
PM
Posted: 2017-07-12 05:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I had no idea TrackID was still around, think the last time I used it was on my SE Xperia X10

On 2017-07-08 02:06:57, Supa_Fly wrote:

On 2017-07-07 08:44:03, moogoo wrote:
Probably cost to keep it maintained. This field is dominated by Shazam. Track ID was superior in my opinion but people never knew about it. Shazam took the market.

That's my guess for it shutting down.



VERY sad to see this go!

Cost to maintain is most likely the reason vs the lack of mindshare and revenue keeping the program/service alive not generating sales to Sony's music.

Personally I feel Sony squandered on such an amazing gem here!

First MAJOR lead into mobile music access and phone access! (even for Apple's partnership with Motorola - which failed = Motorola + iTunes)
No push for SE phones in the USA market - sure we had the Z520, K810, K850 on Rogers Wireless in Canada but with less than 7 Million customers that's NOT enough! No USA carrier no foothold to establish large mindshare.
No push for streaming music at ALL in North America and if you recall Sony was FIRST in this almost a decade ago - but even in Europe wasted that opportunity!

Wasted opportunities!

Will Sony allow the code to be open-sourced for someone else to take the realms?!
Shazam, SoundHound, SoundCloud and moreover Spotify took the world by storm!



+1, Very well said.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2017-07-12 04:43 ]
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Exynos +128GB MicroSD
Apple iPad Air 2 64GB LTE
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
Joined: Dec 07, 2004
Posts: > 500
From: Saudi Arabia/India,Cochin
PM
Posted: 2017-07-12 06:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2017-07-11 23:51:05, DarkKrypt wrote:
Shame like alot here I've been using it since K610 /w810 2006 and heaps with the w880 that was a thin phone back in the day.
Alternatively are what options?


Shazam is the first pick I guess. Google has a music recognition feature built-in but it doesn't save history or have any of the features that TrackID did.
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
DarkKrypt
Sony Xperia S
Joined: May 15, 2007
Posts: > 500
From: Melbourne,Australia
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-07-12 10:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Thanks @ranjith
I thought the same ~ shazam, soundhound, sound search by google which looks like has history now for discovered songs ; just had a look.
Also you have music identifier which uses the gracenote api, which I believe track id uses or I know it used to use it.
Food for thought, we don't have many options

Just found another musicID
[ This Message was edited by: DarkKrypt on 2017-07-12 09:57 ]
Pocket Daily
[-] history GA628,T105,K610,W880,W910,K550,P1,G900,C905, Satio, x10 mini, arc, XS, XZ, XZ3, XZ5P
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
Joined: Mar 09, 2005
Posts: > 500
From: Sweden
PM
Posted: 2017-07-12 16:25
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2017-07-07 07:52:29, goldenface wrote:
They should be developing it further not shutting it down, the idiots.

Could not have said it better my self m8.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi