Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy S8 Announced

Previous  123 ... 567 ... 91011  Next
Author Samsung Galaxy S8 Announced
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-04-22 21:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
bravo for samsung adding HDR. doesn't matter if it's software as long as it works. probably doesn't provide the same level of HDR a native hardware HDR screen can provide, but it's good enough to be certified by the UHD alliance. It's not a lie, it is what it is. Using software to upgrade/modify display content is nothing new. everyone does it.

I was impressed by the jerryrigeverything video evaluating the S8+(or maybe it was just s8? not that it matters). everything was metal and the glass was imbedded into the frame providing structural integrity. galaxies have always been plastic and fragile so it's nice to see samsung upping their game in this area.

still seems like software can still be improved. with such powerhouse specs it doesn't blow away the XZs, which has lower specs, which is a testament to how well sony optimizes its software or how light sony's skin of android is.

S8 is a nice device for sure. but it's not for me. i don't like how it looks and it's really just that simple. call me crazy but i like the balance of Sony's design even if there are larger bezels. S8 just doesn't look balanced to me. the aspect ratio is just so unconventional it throws me off, i guess. but i'm sure it is amazing for web browsing and document reading.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-04-23 08:41
Errrmmm, Samsung has been building their phones like that since the Galaxy Alpha in 2014.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-04-23 13:00
errrmmm.. no. the glass has not been embedded into the frames, which is a very important design distinction providing structural integrity. S6 didn't have this. neither does the s7 edge. flagship devices. s8 seems to be the first flagship device that does this.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-04-23 16:44

On 2017-04-23 13:00:49, moogoo wrote:
errrmmm.. no. the glass has not been embedded into the frames, which is a very important design distinction providing structural integrity. S6 didn't have this. neither does the s7 edge. flagship devices. s8 seems to be the first flagship device that does this.

JerryRigEverything mentions it multiple times in multiple videos that S7 has the glass embedded into the frame, e.g. in the bend test of HTC U Ultra at 5:00 he talks about it:
https://youtu.be/oNmLUEE-YAk

GRANEDE
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2017-04-24 13:11
Looks like people are already disappointed with dex dock-
https://www.androidheadlines.[....]-with-galaxy-s8s-dex-dock.html

Like I predicted before dex dock will be a failure. Most people will be disappointed with it while few people will actually use and like it. There is noway a phone will provide a better desktop user experience. The feature looks good on paper but in real situation come short. Other manufacturer tried it before and failed and this time samsung will fail.

Unless we have a full surface phone with real windows 10 desktop OS, this "phone can turn into real desktop computer" feature will be a marketing gimmick.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-04-24 13:46

Samsung Galaxy S8+ expected to be more popular than Galaxy S8

Reports in South Korean media are suggesting that the Samsung Galaxy S8+ is expected to surpass sales of the standard Galaxy S8. These reports are citing a Yuanta Securities report which says the annual sales of both flagship models combined is expected to hit the 50.4 million mark.

The report further says that of the total 50.4 million units, the 6.2-inch Galaxy S8+ will have a share of 53.9%, or 27.1 million units.

The Verge have a great right up on the S8 UI (Samsung's Android 7.0 UI that is also now in S7, S7 Edge)

No more TouchWiz jokes: Samsung's software has caught up to its hardware
There’s a cohesiveness to the Galaxy S8 user experience that’s unprecedented among previous Samsung, LG, Sony, and even HTC phones. No major phone manufacturer has skinned Android this well or this skillfully. The glyphs for the Android navigation keys have the same style as the outline shapes used in Samsung’s app icons, all of them refreshingly unique, distinctly colored, and striking the right balance between abstraction and specificity. 

And

Even with some vestigial shortcomings, TouchWiz 2017 is a major leap forward. I find all the small design touches in this new software coalesce into a unified user experience that lives up to the high standards of, and synergizes with, Samsung’s great hardware. Take the S8’s iris scanner as an instructive example: it requires both great hardware and software to work correctly, and I’m astounded by its accuracy on Samsung’s new phone. It has detected my half-closed eyes in total darkness and even just one eye when I was trying to unlock the phone while sipping a drink. The ease of unlocking using this method mostly makes up for the appallingly misplaced fingerprint sensor on the back of the S8.

I like that I’m concluding this article by hitting on a bit of hardware-software synergy with the iris scanner. That’s the future of awesome Samsung design that is yet to come. Not just brilliantly attractive devices, not just cleverly designed interfaces, but a combination and integration of the two that makes for a device that’s more than the sum of its parts. 

http://www.theverge.com/2017/[....]y-s8-touchwiz-android-software

Awesome stuff.

The Verge is a website that some around here claim is Apple biased
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2017-04-24 14:08
I am surprised people prefer the larger more expensive S8 plus to be honest . And unlike Apple plus only gives larger screen . Anyway hopefully it will sell well (i like having a choice of large screen phones ). By the way i think for the first time in ages that the touch Wizz looks better , normally i used to replace it with Njva launcher
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-04-24 15:00

On 2017-04-24 14:08:29, aussieland1 wrote:
I am surprised people prefer the larger more expensive S8 plus to be honest . And unlike Apple plus only gives larger screen . Anyway hopefully it will sell well (i like having a choice of large screen phones ). By the way i think for the first time in ages that the touch Wizz looks better , normally i used to replace it with Njva launcher

Erica Griffin has both the S8 and S8+ for review, in the beginning she was sure she would prefer the normal S8, but when she started using the S8+ she found that despite being bigger it's actually easy to handle, she even found that the Finger Print Scanner was easier to reach thanks to better wieght distribution on the S8+, seems it's not as top heavy as the smaller S8.

One really has to try them both out apparently, the S8+ is comparable to the S7 Edge in size
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-04-24 17:56
This is really cool:

Galaxy S8 iris scanner may soon be used for financial transactions
The Galaxy S8′s iris scanner might soon be used for much more than just controlling access to the device. According to a new report out of South Korea, credit card companies in the country are looking to utilize the iris scanner to enable safer financial transactions on the mobile device.

Samsung Card Co. is reportedly looking to start using the iris scanner through its mobile app so that its customers can authenticate financial transactions by using the iris scanner on their Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+.

More here: https://www.sammobile.com/201[....]ed-for-financial-transactions/

Speaking of Security has anyone actually paid attention to the extra layer of security Samsung Knox has become? I remember Knox simply being a nuisance to those who want to Root, but for those of us who actually use our Smartphones for Business and have important data, it seems Samsung has a similar model going as Blackberry, the difference is that BB is locked from the moment it boots up, while Samsung has made it an optional.

Check this out:

So you can choose if you want to sort of "Sandbox" your apps, that explains the whole Secure Folder option in Samsungs from last year and this year, absolutely brilliant.

I believe Samsung and Blackberry are the only Android OEMS who offer this sort of solution.
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2017-04-24 18:22

On 2017-04-24 13:11:53, GRANEDE wrote:

Like I predicted before dex dock will be a failure. Most people will be disappointed with it while few people will actually use and like it. There is noway a phone will provide a better desktop user experience. The feature looks good on paper but in real situation come short. Other manufacturer tried it before and failed and this time samsung will fail.

Unless we have a full surface phone with real windows 10 desktop OS, this "phone can turn into real desktop computer" feature will be a marketing gimmick.

Dex or even Windows implementation isn't meant to be a desktop replacement. That's absurd no matter what the product description says. It supposed to be an easier way to use your phone especially if it's a workhorse for you. I've been using SideSync and it makes things so much easier. Dex has a great potential.. And it will succeed as long as Samsung continues to improve it unlike Windows.
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-04-24 19:18

On 2017-04-24 18:22:23, Ranjith wrote:

On 2017-04-24 13:11:53, GRANEDE wrote:

Dex or even Windows implementation isn't meant to be a desktop replacement. That's absurd no matter what the product description says. It supposed to be an easier way to use your phone especially if it's a workhorse for you. I've been using SideSync and it makes things so much easier. Dex has a great potential.. And it will succeed as long as Samsung continues to improve it unlike Windows.

Glad someone addressed that drivel

Nobody ever said DeX was meant to be a desktop replacement, so I have no idea where he got that.

Indeed, much like Continuum, it's meant for those of us who depend on our phones heavily and want where possible to connect our phone to do a document or presentation quickly on a large Display.

I think the mere fact that Microsoft happily built apps and partnered up with Samsung to continue to develop this is fantastic, what we see in DeX is a good step up from SideSync which was in itself brilliant.

I can't wait to see what they do with DeX in the Note 8 with the SPen, now THAT will be very interesting.

I'm glad Samsung are exploring this area with DeX, unlike some other manufacturers who build what is essentially the same thing each year with a different SoC, at least Samsung are trying to look forward and make the lives of those of us who use our phones for more than just taking pictures more useful.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2017-04-24 18:22 ]
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2017-04-24 20:43
Agreed with tsepz and ranjith , I think it has potential and no one said it it meant to be a desktop replacement .

In other news pre orders in US are quite good- let's hope no more exploding batteries 😊

http://m.gsmarena.com/galaxy_[....]ing_for_samsung-news-24703.php
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2017-04-25 02:13
Also, but the time Dex is into its 2nd generation or so, we will be having phones with even more powerful hardware. There is so much potential!

@aussieland apparently S8s initial sales have beat the S7! That's what Samsung says.. Let's wait for the real numbers soon
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-04-25 06:50
Samsung confirms Galaxy S8 pre-orders outpaced Galaxy S7 by 30 percent
Samsung today confirmed that the Galaxy S8 is now its best smartphone launch ever as pre-orders for the new flagship outpaced pre-orders for theGalaxy S7 by 30 percent. It’s an amazing result for Samsung given that this is the first flagship smartphone it has launched since the disaster it suffered because of the Galaxy Note 7 last year.

Samsung Electronics America president and chief operating officer Tim Baxter says that the company has recommitted itself to innovate with new products and services.

He points out that the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ are a result of that recommitment and that the market has responded by enabling an over 30 percent year-over-year growth in pre-orders versus record pre-orders for the Galaxy S7 last year.

https://www.sammobile.com/201[....]paced-galaxy-s7-by-30-percent/

Samsung's Galaxy S8 hits sales records despite the Note 7's flameout

https://www.engadget.com/amp/[....]ng-galaxy-s8-pre-order-record/
[QUOTE]

The Galaxy S8 costs more to build than the iPhone 7

Every Galaxy S8 that flies off the production line costs Samsung an eye-watering $307.50, which includes the price of materials and manufacturing, reveals an estimate released by renowned analytics firm IHS Markit on Thursday, April 20. For comparison, that’s $82.70 more than the iPhone 7 and $52.40 more than its predecessor, the Galaxy S7.

It’s hardly difficult to see why the Galaxy S8 (no figures were provided for the Galaxy S8+) is an expensive device to manufacture. At the end of the day, a quality product rarely comes cheap — and this is a prime example. The handset’s innovative design, gorgeous display and beefy internals all bump up the basic manufacturing costs and bill of materials quite considerably.

https://www.sammobile.com/201[....]re-to-build-than-the-iphone-7/

aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2017-04-25 07:05
Good news - I think Samsung was smart to release the phone now and not at the same time with HTC and Sony- I reckon the closer we get to summer the less inclined are people to purchase phones . It is a shame Sony Xperia XZ premium is not available now too as it is an awesome phone - by releasing it so late Sony is loosing sales

Speaking of DEX I think Samsung should work on improving it and the fact that some people sold theirs (received as a bonus for pre order ) could also be just an attempt to make quick money as purchasing a new one is quite expensive . Anyway Samsung needs to work on it and market it otherwise it might become a flop
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2017-04-25 06:10 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 91011  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic