Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Announced

Previous  123 ... 91011  Next
Author Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Announced
Tibagy
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2016-08-03 07:20
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Note 7 is already a powerful device and got better being first smartphone to support HDR streaming finally liked too that new phablet.
[ This Message was edited by: Tibagy on 2016-08-03 06:25 ]
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2016-08-03 09:50
Note 7 is not an upgrade to S7 edge it is silly to think this, it is an upgrade to Note 5 and definitely not a meh one

And while owners of s7 edge have no reasons to upgrade to Note 7 unless they love s pen but for new buyers it is no brainers I think especially if you like phablets - note is larger, has s pen, usb type c, more powerful software , more memory
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2016-08-03 10:22 ]
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2016-08-03 11:45
They gave it edge screen because of the success of S6/S7 Edge so it makes sense but the problem with that is its very similar to the S7 Edge even in size. Specs wise they are quite similar which isn't a bad thing but to me the only differentiating factor is the S-pen. Note fans and power users will be happy because its quite significantly better than the Note 5. Personally I don't like the extreme shininess, makes it look more bling than professional so perhaps if it had a frosted glass finish then it would be easier to tell it apart from the S7 Edge.
Shino03
S700
PM
Posted: 2016-08-03 12:52
I agree it appears to not have its own character apart from the S7. I know this is intended BUT some people appreciate unique design especially after some time. Designs gets boring after being used repeatedly.
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2016-08-03 13:03
I think that with regards to design manufacturers seem to be in a bit if a slump....look at Sony, Apple Samsung etc To be fair S7 edge was only released thus year so it is not an overly used design but I agree that by next year they will need to change it more significantly
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2016-08-03 16:12
Brilliant Power Saving, I must say. Most of it was there in previous Samsung but the downscaling of Screen Resolution is new.

Note 7 Power Saving Mode scales down display resolution and performance

http://www.androidauthority.c[....]te-7-power-saving-mode-707558/
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2016-08-03 16:44
The P9 has this option too, rather than full HD it can lower the resolution to 720p.
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2016-08-03 17:45
As Zlatan Ibrahimovic said about Pep Guardiola, 'he bought a Ferrari and drove it like a Fiat'. £700 for a device to throttle the CPU and diminish the screen quality....I don't think so and power users will agree. Now before people say lowering the screen res its a genius idea, people were criticising the Z5 Premium because 4K wasn't used everywhere in the UI. Power saving mode is basically when they admit the battery won't last that long. I'd rather have 500mA than the iris scanner or perhaps another 1000mA for a few extra millimetres in thickness, that goes for all companies.
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2016-08-03 18:59
I don't see the connection between the power saver and the full resolution not being used everywhere in z5 premium. You don't have to use this power saver obviously, this is just to extend the battery life .

I agree though that I would trade iris scanner and a few mm for extra battery
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2016-08-03 22:51

On 2016-08-03 17:45:42, badassmam wrote:
As Zlatan Ibrahimovic said about Pep Guardiola, 'he bought a Ferrari and drove it like a Fiat'. £700 for a device to throttle the CPU and diminish the screen quality....I don't think so and power users will agree. Now before people say lowering the screen res its a genius idea, people were criticising the Z5 Premium because 4K wasn't used everywhere in the UI. Power saving mode is basically when they admit the battery won't last that long. I'd rather have 500mA than the iris scanner or perhaps another 1000mA for a few extra millimetres in thickness, that goes for all companies.

Let's get real here, even if you buy a BMW M3, you won't max it out everywhere....and here's where the car analogy totally falls apart, most cars come with a feature where they can turn off cylinders when they are not needed, for when you "drive it like a Fiat" as most cars including Ferraris will be driven.

Your Z5 Premium example makes absolutely no sense, as the Note 7 allows you to use the highest Res everywhere, Samsung has allowed the user to decide, it's called choice, the very core of Android, allowing me to do what I want with MY phone, Sony on the other hand made the decision for you, completely different situation there.

So are you saying Power Saving shouldn't be there at all? Last I checked even Sony have a Power Saving setting (Stamina Mode), a feature many seem to rely on heavily, so I guess they to admitted the battery won't last long.

Let's go back to the car example, where even Supercars these days are about saving fuel, many of them coming with big battery packs, turbocharging and a smaller motor, they all tend to have an Eco Mode in them.

Someone may buy the Note 7 and decide that they couldn't careless for the QHD display, but everything else, or let's gets even more practical, many of us have those days where we either forget to charge our phones and we end up needing it to last that extra bit, OR you have a power outage (becoming common with some of the extreme whether we have in many parts of the world), I'd like to have a Power Saving option to allow me to go that bit further.

I personally will prob leave the Res alone, but I do like CPU throttling, as same with my car I don't need the power all the time, so it sits in Eco Mode, which can get me 2.5weeks on 1 fill up, my phone will get me further without really having much impact on performance.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2016-08-03 21:54 ]
McKinley
K750
PM
Posted: 2016-08-04 00:23
The more I read about the Note 7, the more I find this to be bigger leap forward compared to the previous Note iterations.
I loved my Note 3 with my heart and I am definitely going to buy this so it seems after all
Onyx Black looks really beautiful. I am imagining Onyx Black with always on feature.
[ This Message was edited by: McKinley on 2016-08-04 00:40 ]
GH688, T28, T39 and T68
Nokia 6110, 8110, 8850, 6230, N82
Moto V525 and RAZR V3
Samsung T100, S300 and E700
T68, T610, Z600, T630, K700, S700, V800, K750, S600, M600, S500, P1i, K850, X1 X10, Vivaz
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2016-08-04 01:07
I forgot that you'd be hardcore on this thread

You're over-complicating things and over-analysing my comment. I was talking about Zlatan who Barcelona bought for a massive sum (plus Eto'o) and then Pep never played him in the correct position. It turned out to be a waste money resulting in his bust-up with Pep and his comment. Its about making the most of such a talented player or not buying him in the first place.

Agreed Sony made the decision for you for the res but consider this, can you tell the difference or not if the screen is 4K or HD in the phone app, settings menu or when you check your messages? You can't so switching to HD at that point is legitimate and if the phone does it then that's better. An average user with the Note 7 will be blissfully using high res on everything which will waste battery as well as put more strain on the processor etc. in which case, if the phone could adjust the res for you when you switch apps from qHD to HD without you having to do it then that's just great and exactly what Sony did.

I didn't say not to have any stamina mode, I easily got 2 days from my Z1C and I can guarantee no 2016 phone can manage that on a normal day's use which is unacceptable. Yep, everyone has settled for shit batteries and they think that stamina modes can replace large capacity batteries but hey, my phone is thin because nothing else matters. What you say about Eco mode in your car is fine but what about when you need the extra boost, I just put my foot down then I'm gone. If I want to conserve fuel on a long journey then I drive accordingly but that doesn't mean that I just coast all the way.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2016-08-04 06:59

On 2016-08-04 01:07:46, badassmam wrote:
I forgot that you'd be hardcore on this thread

You're over-complicating things and over-analysing my comment. I was talking about Zlatan who Barcelona bought for a massive sum (plus Eto'o) and then Pep never played him in the correct position. It turned out to be a waste money resulting in his bust-up with Pep and his comment. Its about making the most of such a talented player or not buying him in the first place.

Agreed Sony made the decision for you for the res but consider this, can you tell the difference or not if the screen is 4K or HD in the phone app, settings menu or when you check your messages? You can't so switching to HD at that point is legitimate and if the phone does it then that's better. An average user with the Note 7 will be blissfully using high res on everything which will waste battery as well as put more strain on the processor etc. in which case, if the phone could adjust the res for you when you switch apps from qHD to HD without you having to do it then that's just great and exactly what Sony did.

I didn't say not to have any stamina mode, I easily got 2 days from my Z1C and I can guarantee no 2016 phone can manage that on a normal day's use which is unacceptable. Yep, everyone has settled for shit batteries and they think that stamina modes can replace large capacity batteries but hey, my phone is thin because nothing else matters. What you say about Eco mode in your car is fine but what about when you need the extra boost, I just put my foot down then I'm gone. If I want to conserve fuel on a long journey then I drive accordingly but that doesn't mean that I just coast all the way.

Considering the past Notes were delivered great battery life while running at Full QHD resolution I think the Note 7 will be fine, the battery is a big leap from the Note 5's 3000mAh, unlike most OEMs, Samsung went up in Battery capacity, vs. the predecessor.

I'd rather adjust the res myself, thank you very much, if I want an OEM to make decisions like that for me I'll get an iPhone, at least you see the benefits of them making some decisions for you. The Z5P still had average batt life despite a much larger battery than its competitors.

aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2016-08-04 09:31
Still I think the Ibrahimović analogy is poor choice because

1) Note 7 might have great battery life
2) users have the choice to change the resolution

I personally prefer a true qhd screen then a half baked 4 k screen (working only in certain parts). I think Samsing approach is the best (allowing users to choose ). Implying users are blissfully ignorant by sticking to qhd resolution everywhere is a bit ignorant on it's own - people should be able to choose what they think is best for them nit what we think, and in various forums people will say they can tell the difference between full hd and qhd. Again changing resolution is only for battery saver not meant to be a permanent thing

Anyway price here in UK has been announced to £699 which is quite high. I wonder if this will push people to buy s7 edge instead . As much as I like Samsung phones I never quite got their choice in available phones
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2016-08-04 08:33 ]
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2016-08-04 12:29
@Tsepz_GP

Ok, this is going nowhere productive. I'm not here to bash a device I've never had, my comments stem from my current S7 Edge work phone. It was given to me for specific tasks and it cannot do it because the flipping battery drains so fast, not so much performance (that's a discussion for another day). I had the same problem with the S6 and S5. I use my personal device and my personal Windows tablet PC now. Our collaborators over in Singapore have the same issue with the Note 5, again they have to carry a tablet as a backup.

My challenge to you is to see whether the Note 7 will get better battery time than it and by how much. It has an updated processor but a similar battery capacity. My guess is that the S7 Edge will be better but the difference will be minimal. Put on the power saver with HD throughout and see the difference, it will be much much better but still not up to 2 days. I'll wait for someone here to buy the phone and test it. Please don't post that Samsung battery test because that is pure fraud, no GSMarena or Phonearena either.

My point is that you have settled with crap battery times and these software tricks are not enough. If Samsung or whoever comes up with a new technology that massively extends battery life then I'll be over the moon because others will adopt it. The other option is to make batteries bigger and everyone refuses to do that.

@aussieland1

1) Note 7 might have great battery life - which probably won't be good enough for my work group
2) users have the choice to change the resolution - we are the ignorant users who don't give a damn because we just need the thing to stay alive long enough

You're correct that people have the right to choose but I say that no matter how hard we have tried to squeeze out more battery life, we just couldn't do it.

Peace out.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 91011  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic