Forum > General discussions > Rumours > Sony Xperia Rumours 2016

Previous  123 ... 373839 ... 122123124  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2016
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2016-03-08 07:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@pmugghc, This is what Sony is trying to say, at least their regional representatives and some other guys also...

If that's true, and they're launching the X Performance with a flagship price, then they're don't want to fight, they want to loose, While XP is a high-end, it's no where near a "flagship" device, it's look like just a stripped down flagship from all the premium features, just keeping the main SoC platform intact for those who don't want those fancy premium tech.

if that's the case... Sony want to fight with the Software side... they knew they never was competitive in the software side... from a perspective of features and functionality...
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2016-03-08 12:01
The truth is that if Sony made a device equal to or better than the S7, it still won't sell as many just because of the Samsung brand today, I would argue that the Z5P is the best phone of last year but you know that it can't match sales. That doesn't mean they will quit making high ends, they will without a doubt make a flagship and compact for IFA. Selling small volumes of expensive devices will make them more profit than their mid range because you're counting on them selling crap loads of them and that won't happen because the whole industry is slowing. Another thing is that if you can't increase your sales significantly you have to cut costs which they have done by cutting staff but more importantly, making their own factory that will massively reduce unit price. That means a greater profit from each device at the same price and the option of cutting prices to boost sales. I think they are being smart. The X series will come done in price as soon as its released paving the way for the new flagships.
pmugghc
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2016-03-08 12:53

On 2016-03-08 12:01:12, badassmam wrote:
The truth is that if Sony made a device equal to or better than the S7, it still won't sell as many just because of the Samsung brand today, I would argue that the Z5P is the best phone of last year but you know that it can't match sales. That doesn't mean they will quit making high ends, they will without a doubt make a flagship and compact for IFA. Selling small volumes of expensive devices will make them more profit than their mid range because you're counting on them selling crap loads of them and that won't happen because the whole industry is slowing. Another thing is that if you can't increase your sales significantly you have to cut costs which they have done by cutting staff but more importantly, making their own factory that will massively reduce unit price. That means a greater profit from each device at the same price and the option of cutting prices to boost sales. I think they are being smart. The X series will come done in price as soon as its released paving the way for the new flagships.

I'm not so sure having their own factory will "massively reduce unit price", Apple doesn't have its own factories. It's the volume that can drive down prices. The problem for Sony, Samsung, LG, and HTC is that the Chinese brands are coming up fast with much better designs than they used to have with quite attractive prices. Just look at Huawei internationally as well as Xiaomi, Lenovo, and Meizu. I think they will force down prices, including Apple's eventually.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2016-03-08 14:22
I completely agree with badassmam.

China and South East Asia are probably the cheapest places to produce hardware. There is easy access to the raw materials and chips required to do so. Sony does probably still have its own manufacturing plants in Japan but even so, for many reasons, it's still cheaper to manufacture abroad.

Apple is a different animal altogether. Right now, people will pay almost anything for an iPhone and be happy to do so, even though specs and performance is similar to the best of the rest.

I think IFA will see the equivalent of a Z7 Compact, Z7 and Z7 Premium because this, for the reasons badassmam gave above, is the range the Sony does best.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2016-03-08 13:23 ]
funkadopest
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
PM
Posted: 2016-03-08 20:13
good read about what's going with android oem's and where Sony stands...
here
nightwing369
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2016-03-08 20:17
Seeing as the Xperia X Performance is not coming to the UK, when does the Xperia X release?
Check this for the latest on the upcoming Sony phones for 2013: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AreyfktYnDHtdHN0bVFPdUFJd0ZiNzZQcjMwV1I5M0E#gid=0
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2016-03-09 00:07

On 2016-03-08 20:13:49, funkadopest wrote:
good read about what's going with android oem's and where Sony stands...
here

Good article, thanks. Explains a lot.
Shino03
S700
PM
Posted: 2016-03-09 00:25
Why did it took so long for them to understand that but good to see that they're getting better.

I hate it that companies even Sony are too afraid of low volumes. If you give quality products to your consumers, your company should have the confidence that people will be loyal to you.

Well, I guess you can't help it that many oem's would do everything *cough* even dirty works like paying reviewers just to sway the consumers to them.

But still, Sony needs to firmly believe it can especially now that their goal has changed.
[ This Message was edited by: Shino03 on 2016-03-08 23:34 ]
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2016-03-09 00:48

On 2016-03-09 00:25:54, Shino03 wrote:
Why did it took so long for them to understand that but good to see that they're getting better.

I hate it that companies even Sony are too afraid of low volumes. If you give quality products to your consumers, your company should have the confidence that people will be loyal to you.

Well, I guess you can't help it that many oem's would do everything *cough* even dirty works like paying reviewers just to sway the consumers to them.

But still, Sony needs to firmly believe it can especially now that their goal has changed.
[ This Message was edited by: Shino03 on 2016-03-08 23:34 ]

Ah man.

Quality products ... build or fit and finish is NO longer enough ... hasn't been for 30yrs.
Buying a product is like buying a diamond ring: real diamond vs Synthetic (moisenate) All that glitters the saying goes ... but down the road if that syntetic cracks wherever it may lie/be ... it's no longer worth it's weight. Not to mention the fakeness of it having poor resale value.

Maybe that is a poor example.

Let's say a 2013 Audi vs 2013 Inifinit
both have glorious models of quality build, performance, features and accouterments! Both have varying ranges equal to one another of fuel economy - which in 2013 would heavily matter more than the second half of 2015 (Oil crash)! However when it comes down to own it for the life of the product ... the Support from the manufacturer under warranty and especially thereafter along with accessories (having a wide range) and compatibility to extend its features beyond teh product: Stereo/portable/home/car systems, headsets (wired/wireless), home automation and security, warranty claims and shipping costs NOT extended to the buyer, etc etc etc.

^ THIS is what I personally see complained about on the boards of existing or previous "Z" models of the past more than ANYTHING ELSE!

THAT is what sells ... reliability and assurance plain and simple. This gives you more than a 2mth spike in sales ... it gives you sustainability and a core following of loyal customers ... but you much ALWAYS care for them and appease to their needs and cravings to have much more do more see more etc to upgrade.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2016-03-09 10:57
Sony is doing better than LG we know this ( If we take X Performance price as example we will know why ), It's a Sony habit after all, even not in Mobile segment ( TV for example, I bought mine for $2300 2 years ago, while other same spec. brands retails for less than $2000, and just after I bought it of 1 year, it dropped to under $1600 )

The bad thing about Sony's view is that they're doing the low sales thing with too many devices... this mean high R&D, Support & Software update costs duo to high number of devices.. even the same device has many variants with different ROM's ( Single and Dual variants have different ROM's with a major time gap between them in terms of software updates )

The best practice I saw in the market is with Apple, they only have three variants ( C, Main & Plus ) and with high volume and high ASP they have the best business

Samsung is just a mess, while they have very high volume, they have a lot of devices, with just few of them has a long term support.. some Samsung devices might just receive 1 update in it's timeframe duo to the very low price and profit... what the different now between them and Chinese devices ?

HTC is doing well, but not that much... Their main flagship is the best, but it's the only one good enough they have... if you took the M9 Plus as example you will see less powerful SoC than the M9 flagship while it ships with bigger and higher res. screen !!

I just hoped for Sony not to cancel their flagship portfolio, 4.x + 5.2 + 5.7 with almost identical flagship spec. is the perfect mix for the needs of current users, and can include a phablet @ 6.0", tablet mini @ 7~8" and tablet 10" if market needs these.. they just need to perfect the spec. more in all terms and focus more on what they're good at: UI, Camera, Audio, Display & Design... and to focus on these they need to better align their products launch. forget the 6months cycle, make it 1 year with smart alignment of products launch time for every one
nightwing369
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2016-03-09 17:22
What's the Xperia X release date?
Check this for the latest on the upcoming Sony phones for 2013: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AreyfktYnDHtdHN0bVFPdUFJd0ZiNzZQcjMwV1I5M0E#gid=0
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2016-03-09 17:54
Even if Sony's estimates here are incorrect and the will release less devices, it still leaves space for more devices in their roadmap.

As I posted earlier, a 60% reduction of 7 platforms is 3 platforms, P10, SD650, SD820. For FY2016, starting April 1st, we should have around 30 variants show up until March 31st 2017. Currently we have the following devices for FY2016.

Xperia X (F5121, F5122)
Xperia X Performance (F8131, F8132)
Xperia XA (F3111 and F3112 F3113, F3115 and F3116)

so 9 variants, meaning 21 or so are left to go?
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2016-03-10 00:40
Interesting! Have someone actually counted how many platforms they had last year? Was it really seven?
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2016-03-10 15:07

On 2016-03-10 00:40:15, motvikt wrote:
Interesting! Have someone actually counted how many platforms they had last year? Was it really seven?

This is what I gathered.

SD810 (Z5 line, Z4, Z3+, Z4 tablet)
SD615 (M4 aqua)
Helio X10 (M5)
MT6752 (C5 ultra, C4)
MT6732 (E4g)

The E4 has the MT6582, but that came out in March 2015, so FY2014, this is why I am not counting it.
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2016-03-10 17:44

On 2016-03-10 15:07:07, ascariss wrote:

On 2016-03-10 00:40:15, motvikt wrote:

This is what I gathered.

SD810 (Z5 line, Z4, Z3+, Z4 tablet)
SD615 (M4 aqua)
Helio X10 (M5)
MT6752 (C5 ultra, C4)
MT6732 (E4g)

The E4 has the MT6582, but that came out in March 2015, so FY2014, this is why I am not counting it.

Okay so 5 maybe 6. If we count e4 and the 810 without modem which was used in z4 tablet we get 7.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 373839 ... 122123124  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic