Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 787980 ... 122123124  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2016
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2016-07-22 21:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@moogoo As of now yes the tech is too big for any smartphone but in a few years who knows where this tech will be in terms of development so I'd never say never as 2-3 years in the smartphone industry as we know feels like a lifetime.

According to the website an hours worth of exercise will be enough for upto 5 hours worth of standby time which I think is fairly impressive.
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
supercoolman
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2016-07-22 22:12

On 2016-07-22 21:10:09, XperiaJunkie wrote:
@moogoo As of now yes the tech is too big for any smartphone but in a few years who knows where this tech will be in terms of development so I'd never say never as 2-3 years in the smartphone industry as we know feels like a lifetime.

According to the website an hours worth of exercise will be enough for upto 5 hours worth of standby time which I think is fairly impressive.

would be more impressive if we can connect all gym equipment to generators feeding into grid
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2016-07-23 13:39

On 2016-07-22 22:12:17, supercoolman wrote:

would be more impressive if we can connect all gym equipment to generators feeding into grid

You know, I've been looking for a stationary cycle with built in generator so it can be used to charge stuff like our smart devices...
Sadly there's only DIY or custom stuff of this kind I saw a news in one country than in jail you get a chance to do so in order to get good habit points which leads to early release... Generated power helps the jail power needs

I saw a custom one also on YT video to power a toaster with tge help of olympic cyclist.. just a test though...

Any way, going back to thread...AFAIK we're too far from a revolutionary way for any battery tech. There's promising thechnologies but these are decades away for any mass production applications
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2016-07-23 16:29
Will Sony be moving away from Qualcomm because of the heating issues?
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2016-07-23 18:15
I don't think Sony can move away from Qualcomm, at this moment going to MediaTek would be considered a step down in performance (whether it is or not), which leaves only Samsung chips (if they'll sell them to Sony) or Intel. I'm not sure Intel has a decent enough chip in a compact enough format.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2016-07-23 18:27
Intel and Samsung would gladly sell their SoCs to Sony, the problem though is price. I'm pretty sure Samsung sells their Exynos SoCs at a much higher price, and considering they help Qualcomm with the 820, they earn money whether an Exynos or Qualcomm device is sold.

Intel on the other hand, I am not sure whats going on with their SoCs.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
maiaramdan
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2016-07-23 19:19

On 2016-07-23 18:15:27, Ricky D wrote:
I don't think Sony can move away from Qualcomm, at this moment going to MediaTek would be considered a step down in performance (whether it is or not), which leaves only Samsung chips (if they'll sell them to Sony) or Intel. I'm not sure Intel has a decent enough chip in a compact enough format.

honestly i used the Meizu pro 6 with helio x25
it's amazing
and honestly lil quick than the sd820
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2016-07-23 23:18
Intel stopped their mobile SoC business days ago ( maybe 1-2 weeks )...

Samsung does not give it's best SoC to competitors until it uses it in their flagships and some time passes...

@maiaramdan only one phone and different manufacturers does not provide a clear view on performance, Sony already uses MediaTek SoC on their low to mid-range phones and performance is good, but they never used any high-end SoC...
hello1000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2016-07-24 09:11
Don't you forget that Sony have IBM that make Cell proccesor back then? Cell proccesor is Sony own architectuur and can easy make a design a sock or CPU for its phones or tablets if they wants.

And Sony never use Samsung socket or CPU becouse so good is Samsung not, qualcom is far better design their socket and cpu-gpu than Samsung copy and past strategy.

And intel can always produce if Sony support them.

supercoolman
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2016-07-24 10:27

On 2016-07-24 09:11:48, hello1000 wrote:
Don't you forget that Sony have IBM that make Cell proccesor back then? Cell proccesor is Sony own architectuur and can easy make a design a sock or CPU for its phones or tablets if they wants.

And Sony never use Samsung socket or CPU becouse so good is Samsung not, qualcom is far better design their socket and cpu-gpu than Samsung copy and past strategy.

just like sony worries about mobile sensor impacting their compact
intel has been shooting themselves in the foot most likely due to worry about mobile cpu impacting their desktop/low-end server

intel winning in mobile is not going to happen unless they go for the right direction for both world
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2016-07-24 10:39
Cell is a server/workstation grade architecture which first appeared customised in PS3 use but it is based on Power Architecture which IBM created first... that's why even XBox 360 uses the same Power Core ( slightly modified one )...

Redesigning it for mobile applications will be a hell of a task, Sony making it's own ARM based SoC ( native or custom ) is much much easier than going Cell route.. hell even telling AMD to do the game is easy though AMD will need more work as they don't have any experience working on mobile ARM processors... though Sony will just have to rely on another partner for the radio part

x86 needs a very long way to be as successful as how ARM is now, like how ARM is struggling to grip a foot in the Server market...
McKinley
K750
PM
Posted: 2016-07-24 11:16
I know we probably don't have to worry about seeing CELL ever again.
According to the game developers of PS3, it was a freaking hard architecture to make things run well. So I don't think anyone would ever want to deal with all the hassle Cell architecture brings.

I would rather see Intel and Sony conjure up something together but that is very far-fetched as well sadly.
Intel definitely has the know-how and probably the best R&D. They just need someone else to view on things differently than just the typical Intel kind of way.

nVidia is another company I think would be awesome to collaborate with. By far the best company as far as GPU goes, unfortunately that will probably cost more than it would pay off. Possibly the greediest company of them all next to Apple.
[ This Message was edited by: McKinley on 2016-07-24 10:19 ]
GH688, T28, T39 and T68
Nokia 6110, 8110, 8850, 6230, N82
Moto V525 and RAZR V3
Samsung T100, S300 and E700
T68, T610, Z600, T630, K700, S700, V800, K750, S600, M600, S500, P1i, K850, X1 X10, Vivaz
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2016-07-24 12:20

That is hilarious considering the Exynos7420 destroyed the Snapdragon 810 last year, the 8890 owned the 820 this year, and so has been the case since the 1st SoC, known as the Hummingbird in the Galaxy S1.

By the way, Samsung helped Qualcomm with their SoCs, it happened with the S600, and again with the current 820 series, so you are contradicting yourself
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
hello1000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2016-07-24 15:53

On 2016-07-24 12:20:10, Tsepz_GP wrote:

That is hilarious considering the Exynos7420 destroyed the Snapdragon 810 last year, the 8890 owned the 820 this year, and so has been the case since the 1st SoC, known as the Hummingbird in the Galaxy S1.

By the way, Samsung helped Qualcomm with their SoCs, it happened with the S600, and again with the current 820 series, so you are contradicting yourself

Ï do not agree, the exynos is also have problems,only people never talk about it, it always qualcom get the negative and not a woord about Samsung becouse its Samsung and you know verry good what I mean.

My old Z2 and Z3 is allready faster than any Samsung devices after couple of months, that means qualcom has far more quality over time ( even their 810 has problems) faster means not better, the trick is make the socket trustfull
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2016-07-24 16:32
The real cost is not the soc itself but the modem. Qualcomm doesn't just sell the soc, they sell the complete package. Modem and cpu in the same soc, they also handle patents and have good relations with carriers (that must certify the modem for their network) and authorities etc. Qualcomm is a modem company first and foremost.

Say Sony wants their own soc. They pay AMD or IBM x billions and get a competitive cpu. Now they must also develop or buy a competitive modem. Developing it will cost billions and require hundred of patents so that will never happen. They must buy it. That leaves Qualcomm and Intel which has modems to sell. Qualcomm is a lot better so perhaps they will choose Qualcomm anyway. They pay Qualcomm 60$ for their modem and now has a phone with their own soc and EXTERNAL modem which takes more space and draws more battery. They also spent several billions on a soc with no modem. Divide that cost with devices sold, 5-10M? (Flagships) The cost will be huuuuge.

Instead they can just buy the complete package from Qualcomm for ~80$ and be done with it. Which is why they will always choose Qualcomm.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 787980 ... 122123124  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic