Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Mobile Device Waterproofing - gimmick, niche or genuinely useful?

Author Mobile Device Waterproofing - gimmick, niche or genuinely useful?
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2015-08-27 03:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
What do you think?

Personally I thought it was gimmicky at first and couldn't see a real use except for accidental damage assurance, like being pushed in the pool whilst on holiday.

Than I got an Xperia Z and found it incredibly useful to be able to wash it under the tap when it gets dirty, because the phone always rings when you're elbow deep in meat marinade, answering it isn't a problem. Being caught in the rain isn't a problem. My one year old kids vomiting, hiding my phone in the washing machine (the drum lit up like a disco ball when I rang it), flushing my phone, isn't a problem. Just rinse and go.

On a scale of 1-10 gimmick to necessity as a feature (being able to make a call being the only real 10) I'd give it a 6.5. Not really necessary and not as important as say texting abilities or a internet connectivity options, but definitely useful.

On a scale of importance as a marketing feature it rates higher. Being the pioneer (I use the word lightly) of waterproofing in modern smartphones, the small group of people who need waterproofing do't have much else on offer. Sony have to keep it, especially when other companies are dropping it.
zxcorr
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2015-08-27 06:55
It's a very useful feature for me.
I know it's not recommended but I brought my Xperia Z1C to the ocean and went snorkeling a few times.
Recording little fishies swimming around me. Very nice.

And yes, since other companies are dropping it, Sony should keep it as one of their main differentiating factors.
I hope they keep it as long as possible and even improve it.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2015-08-27 09:56
Insurance companies will tell you that a very large proportion of smartphones are last through water damage, that in itself shows that it's a useful feature - without a doubt!

Personally, its handy for me. I've used my phone in the rain and my tablet in the bath, having a nice read or watching a TV program on it propped up behind the taps ha ha.

My Z3 Tablet I've had for a while now and it's waterproofing is till in tact.

Any company, that strives to make all it's smartphones and accessories water resistant is on the right path. We do, after all have to live, work and play in the rain.
aussiefella
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
PM
Posted: 2015-08-27 10:11
I wonder if people realise you can buy new flaps if they brake. I did for my z1 compact and its fine now!
Dont blame God for all the religious idiots making Him look bad.
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2015-08-27 11:52
Elaborating on my post from the rumors thread:
In the long run sony will do better with less ip rating (something like ipx3) no matter where you live because of a few reasons:
1. Super high quality front stereo speakers and better sound recording are more desirable features.
2. It is just too damn risky putting such expensive device in water even if it is ipx8 because no one promise that the phone will be 100% protected.
3. If the phone is damaged from water then no warranty will cover for it and it will result in paying a lot of money for repair and in worst case it turns to a brick.
4. When i think about sony one of the things that comes to my mind are top audio quality, not waterproofing. I want "wow" and "one sony" to be resembled in front speakers quality and sound recording.
5. Better heat dissipation.
6. With ipx3 it still has water protection (!) against:
a. Dripping water - Dripping water (vertically falling drops) shall have no harmful effect.
b. Dripping water when tilted up to 15° - Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position.
c. Spraying water - Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect.
IP Code for more info.

Bottom line: There is no viable reason to keep ipx8 because ipx3 still has very usable and suffice water protection (maybe even slightly higher ipxx then 3 won't interfere with sound?) and you get 3 pluses - top speakers quality, better sound recording and better heat dissipation. I can't think of a better solution then this for the overwhelming majority of consumers.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2015-08-27 11:03 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2015-08-27 13:33
That might be the case but really, how good can the sound quality actually be from a pair of smartphone speakers. It will always sound tinny in real world usage. Would a downgrade in the IP rating really mean that there could be any noticeable upgrade in speaker quality?

There are plenty of portable speaker options out there that you can just tap once with NFC to connect.
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2015-08-27 14:06
@goldenface
Good enough to differentiate htc one devices from the crowd with a much more desirable and usable feature then ip68 while being ipx3 certified.
They are not meant to replace your home theater speakers but sony with their audio knowledge can increase the quality of sound in a noticeable way.
Yes, htc m9 has ipx3 and the best front speakers on the market.
Portable speakers are simply irrelevant to this matter because we are talking about flagship smartphones, the ultimate and most premium all in one daily driver.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2015-08-27 13:08 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi