Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Announced

Previous  123 ... 567 ... 101112  Next
Author Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Announced
emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2015-08-22 06:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Samsung Now Offering 30-Day Galaxy Note 5, S6 Edge & S6 Edge+ Test Drive In The US

http://www.sammobile.com/2015[....]-s6-edge-test-drive-in-the-us/
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-08-22 10:47
Based on the Gsmarena review Note 5 looks li,e a great phone. Shame about the memory and the fact that is not available in Europe....oh well!

Really impressive battery life , can't wait for more phones with 14nm cpu's
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2015-08-22 11:06
The phone is gorgeous. I'm handled one here in Taiwan and i love the look and feel. I don't think Samsung should have shrunk the battery or given only 32 or 64gb options as storage points though. The 32gb comes with 25gb if usable memory and i am assuming that the 64gb comes with 57gb. For sure 25gb isn't much these days. There is also no option for 128gb of storage.
Unfortunately for me I don't have enough money with me to pick up of these phones at this otherwise I would have. However I should be getting one on the 15th of September.

Good phone, poor storage options.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-08-22 12:18
skblakee

Thanks for the feedback. How much does it cost if you don't mind me asking ? Does it not have regional restriction anymore ?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2015-08-23 15:18
What is going on with the multitasking in Samsung's 2015 line-up!? The new TouchWiz seems to have an extremely aggressive RAM Manager that kills processes after a short time.

Android Police just did a video of the S6 Edge+ vs. Nexus 6:
http://www.androidpolice.com/[....]sing-multitasking-performance/

The S6 Edge+ is acting exactly like an iPhone or iPad with 1GB RAM, yet it has 4GB!

The Note5 apparently suffers from the same, and the S6 and S6 Edge are the worst offenders.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-08-23 21:23
good to see my nexus 6 handling ram much better. hopefully this will be fixed on note 5 etc i wonder if it has to do with battery life?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2015-08-23 22:13
That is my 1st thought, Aussie. This must be how they achieve the battery life with a smaller battery.

Remember how in the early days of Android, people liked using task killers like Advanced Task Killer and Manager? and you could set them to be very aggressive? Its like Samsung has programmed their RAM manager to be like that.

If that is what it is, then Samsung are in trouble, as many tech reviewers, bloggers etc.. are talking about this, and if Apple catch wind of this they will point it out at the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus launch that their new phones with 2GB RAM can keep more apps in memory/multitask better than their closest competitor who has double the RAM.

With the new iPhones said to be coming with 2GB DDR4 RAM and Multiwindow, I bet Apple will have a bit to say WRT multitasking. Samsung have dropped the ball at the worst time.
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-08-23 22:50
To be honest tsepz if this is battery life related I would much rather have a less stellar battery life with better multi tasking. I imagine constant reloading gets tiring quite easily . Now the iPads are slightly better but I remember when it was happening , it was quite frustrating . I really hope they fix this , with the new quick ways to charge battery they don't need to sacrifice the overall user experience. Especially at these astronomical prices they are charging
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2015-08-23 22:53
Aussieland
I don't know whether the regional restrictions are in place. The prices I saw were US$796 or about $23,000 Taiwanese.
To me Samsung is doing an overall poor job with an otherwise great phone. Poor job in terms of not selling in the EU, not enough available ROM for power users, not all colors available in all countries. They are beginning to look like a new start up company trying to get their footing.

I want to get the Titanium Silver and don't know where to find it. Poor job Sammy.
[ This Message was edited by: skblakee on 2015-08-25 12:09 ]
iPad Air 16GB
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-08-23 23:44
Thanks skblakee

Hopefully that price is for the 64 gb version? If you end up buying it it should show on the box. I am surprises the silver version is not easily available - as you said Samsung should make more effort

Although I wouldn't have bought it I am still disappointed Samsung is ignoring EU- I would much prefer Note 5 to Edge 6 plus. I think Edge is a good choice to have but should not superseded note . Anyway I am a bit over it. It is a shame as it seems to have a few nice features. Signing the pdf is certainly a smart function

If you end up getting one it would be interesting to hear your thoughts
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2015-08-24 00:29
I will definitively get one. I left Taiwan yesterday and just got home three hours ago. Ill let you know when I get it. It should be in two weeks.
iPad Air 16GB
emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2015-08-24 05:45
Samsung Galaxy Note5 Battery Life Test

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsu[....]ttery_life_test-blog-13670.php
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2015-08-24 19:44
That is weird, PhoneArena said it did better than the Note 4 at battery, yet GSMArena have found that it falls behind both the Note 4's runs:

Note 4 KitKat:

Note 4 Lollipop:
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2015-08-25 08:23
It's not weird, it just shows that different testing methods can give slightly different results.
Both PhoneArena and GSMArena use their own settings when testing battery life so the difference probably comes from the methodology used and not the device itself, although it is always possible that they used different S/W versions and one had optimized battery life while the other didn't.
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-08-25 10:14
I also don't think it is weird. There is no bullet proof scientific test for battery so I am not surprised the results are different . also as said above a number of factors could influence the test result . Still with a smaller battery than Note 4 the results achieved are great
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 101112  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic