Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Motorola > Any Suggestions?

Author Any Suggestions?
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2015-01-29 08:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all,

last week, my Moto G got official OTA update of lollipop 5.0.2, which I installed happily. After using it, I was very impressed by it.

Now the trouble starts. For the sake of clear installation, I decided to do factory reset, so all clusters, junks would go away from previous software KitKat 4.4.4. After doing so, when I installed my games, which were running smoothly on KitKat and lollipop (before factory reset), some games were refused to install. I checked everything from security options but still no help. Again I did reset and firstly I installed that game which was not installing. To my surprise, game installed but then the official games from play store stopped installing. Weird, isn't it??
So I decided to reinstall lollipop. For that, I needed to downgrade to KitKat 4.4.4. For that, phone's boot loader needs to be unlocked. I did that and downgraded to KitKat successfully. Now, on start-up screen, instead of Motorola logo, there's a warning about unlocked bootloader and void warranty. I knew about the void warranty. But then, I was not able to lock it. I searched google found that its almost not possible to lock it and get rid of that warning screen. Still, my phone was running on KitKat.
Yesterday, I went to Motorola service center. they have reinstalled the KitKat but warning still persist so, in my guess, bootloader is still unlocked. I showed that to the technician. He said, for that to go, phone's motherboard needs to be changed. And he agrees to do it for free, under warranty. He added, the unlocked bootloader won't effect much on phone and if it is okay with me with that warning screen, I should continue to use the phone.

BTW, today morning, I got OTA update again which I installed with all my games installed. Till this moment, phone is running normal.

I want to know what effect of unlocked boot loader might have on phone??? Should I go for motherboard change under warranty??? At present, I don't want to indulge in rooting or using custom ROM.
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2015-01-29 09:35
Difficult questions, I can't believe it's hardware.
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2015-01-30 17:20
Okay... Decision taken. I have given my Moto G to service Center for motherboard replacement.

Now my fingers are crossed. As the local service center has taken the phone saying it will be changed under warranty. I have inquire about the procedure. Its like they will take out the motherboard and send it to the company and get the replacement board and fit it in service center. Now, i really hope that company would send the replacement. Though here local service center has taken the phone mentioning it will be cover under warranty but on motorola website it is clearly mentioned that once you unlock your bootloader,your warranty will be null and void. Such warning message also displayed on the screen when you start it. I have shown it to technician as well. Then also they have taken it. Now, really hope that motherboard gets replaced.

BTW i have searched on net and found that motherboard costs around 80% of the phone's cost.
ESATO Most Loved & Best Asian Member MMX & MMIX
February : Shoot The MUSIC
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2015-01-30 17:46
I sincerely hope with you. Did you get a receipt Where the warranty is mentioned?
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2015-01-30 18:57
Unlocked bootloaders are like old CID Brown phones.

Did you try relocking the bootloader with:

fastboot oem lock

?
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2015-01-31 05:21
@hihihans
No. I've got nothing mentioning that on paper but you can see it all over internet and official motorola site.

@tranced
Yes. I did try that. From the best of my knowledge that I learnt a couple of days back that that command wont work alone. You have to initiate the locking then flash the original firmware and at the end, you have to give that command. Correct me, if I am wrong.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2015-01-31 13:58
I read something similar. I was lurking at Motorola website and for more info. I think you need to download a "signed image" for your mobile.

I found a thread at XDA that could help a bit regarding the images.

EDIT
I'd say go with the motherboard change if you don't mind.
[ This Message was edited by: tranced on 2015-01-31 13:02 ]
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2015-01-31 15:22
@tranced

Thanks for your reply and link.
I have already given my phone for motherboard change. Read my posts above.

Btw the link you posted to thread of xda site, I have been there for last few days.
[ This Message was edited by: ceaser2008 on 2015-01-31 14:25 ]
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2015-01-31 18:27
That's why I edited my post saying to go for the motherboard change. Good luck
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2015-02-03 05:17
@tranced

I know you're using android phone for very long time almost from its inception. Can you clear some doubts of mine?
1. Can we root the phone with stock firmware? Or we have to use custom rom like cwm or twrpt ?
2. How good the rooted phone will be, if we are not going to tweak the stock parameters like clocking, cpu speed etc?
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2015-02-04 03:31
Of course!

1. Yes, you can root with the stock FW. Root basically means that you will be granted permissions as admin(like in Windows for example). CWM and TWRP are recoveries. Tools used to flash the roms, kernels and some apps.

2. It won't affect performance. If you have a stock firmware you will see no difference from a custom one. A custom rom will always be what it is: custom. Whether it is good or bad.

I hope that I have cleared your doubts a bit...at least.
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2015-02-04 05:13
Thanks for that little illuminating explanation. Up till now, I was thinking cwm and twrp are custom rom like stock firmware but it has some additional features like various shutdown options from powerdown button itself, etc etc.
I know a bit about rooting that you can put the language that your phone didn't support, out of box. You can change font styles etc etc, right?
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2015-02-04 13:27
Well, adding languages, fonts, etc. can be done from a file manager app that supports root. You just copy and paste the files you need.
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2015-02-04 16:17
For accessing the root directories, you need to root the phone first, right?? Otherwise i am using ES file explorer with root access, but i cant access that because my phone is not rooted. Correct me.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2015-02-04 18:20
You're right!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi