Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Apple posts the biggest quarterly profit in history

12  Next
Author Apple posts the biggest quarterly profit in history
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-01-28 10:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Apple reported a net profit of $18bn (£11.8bn) in its fiscal first quarter, which tops the $15.9bn made by ExxonMobil in the second quarter of 2012, according to Standard and Poor's.
Record sales of iPhones were behind the surge in profits.
Apple sold 74.5 million iPhones in the three months to 27 December - well ahead of most analysts' expectations.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31012410

Wow....love them or hate them but you have to admit that this is impressive.
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2015-01-28 10:30
It's called the US and finally people have choice for a over 4 inch phone lol
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2015-01-28 11:36
Yes they sell huge numbers of expensive phones and well done for that but here in the UK they pay very little tax so its no surprise they do so well. Same goes for the likes of Starbucks which is the number one destination of Macbook users funnily enough.
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-01-28 19:41
While I don't agree with not paying enough taxes that has nothing to do with how much profit you ate making - the profit announced is always bwfore taxes and most certainly with selling 74 million iphones

Also from the what I read 60% of the income is coming from outside the US so whichever way you look at it these are some seriously impressive results
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2015-01-28 18:43 ]
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2015-01-28 23:23
One major factor is their success in China, they are top over there with the top network provider so just imagine the numbers.
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-01-28 23:31
One thing is clear though - users wanted large screens , and I think that's why Apple is selling so well in Asia , I read that even in South Korea they had a huge growth
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2015-01-29 01:05
My personal opinion is the smartphone market will now slow down due to nearly everyone having one. The next manufacturer will need to bring something different to the table, LG are trying different things with the Flex and I dont see wearables being a major success due to the tech being too new and not essential for the form factor. It would be great if someone came up with a holographic screen which can be reflected on to any surface. I think Samsung experimented with something like that. Now that would be cool!!
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-01-29 08:08
I agree that would be cool , but will normal people buy it ? I think a balance needs to be found between coming up with something innovative and presenting a nice attractive phone .

To en extent Sony has the perfect combination - I really like the z3 series , I just don't understand why they are not doing better
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2015-01-29 11:30
Totally agree on the larger screen comment, every iPhone user I know has the 6+ even the ladies and I kind of wish my Z1C was a bit larger having used a Z3 recently. With Samsung making a hefty loss too, I also think the smartphone market is slowing down because each iteration of flagship has been too similar to the previous ones apart from the 6+ of course.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2015-01-29 22:09
As far as I know, Samsung made a profit this quarter, no hefty loss, no? They made more profit than the previous quarter and beat analyst expectations BUT Y-on-Y, the profit has dipped.

As for Apple, $18billion in profit, that is simply INCREDIBLE, haters may hate but my goodness that is just incredible, this is a great example of a well run company, Tim Cook and the team have done an outstanding job, its not just phone OEMs that can learn here, there are damn oil companies and entire countries that could learn a lot from Apple. As much as some of you may hate it, when people talk about the top 10/50/100 best run companies, Apple will be in there for many decades to come, this is Apple's era, and will continue to be for a while.

I do ask myself when the hype will die, but if they continue improving the iPhones, iPads and Macbooks in the small steps that they have, it may last much longer than we think it will.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2015-01-30 00:50
IPads are actually selling less than last year but other than that I agree with tsepz
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2015-01-30 07:06
Hard to imagine APPLE doing bad cause they have an incredibly loyal fan base. They simply don't want anything else no matter its good or bad. They are even happy with the tried and tested designs. On the other hand Android OEM's don't even remotely have such a fan base. SAMSUNG seems to have a small one but still not significant. You can except any Android user to switch brands every upgrade. And with SO MANY android OEM's around none of them are ever going to match APPLE in any way. I really hope there was a limit on how many Android maker were out there..else I dont see any maker lasting long.

@aussieland1
SONY's failure has a lot to do with poor marketing and management than the phone itself. Here in India, when iPhones and GALAXY's are selling hot, people still don't know much about the new XPERIA's, Every casual user who knows about the latest GALAXY or HTC or LG still thinks the latest XPERIA is the original Z -_- cause that was the last time SONY India marketed a phone..and they spent a lot of $$ for that on brand ambassadors. They don't need to spent all that..they just need to put out small ads..just let people know about the new phones and since they are pretty good ones..they will sell!!!!
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2015-01-30 12:26
@ Tsepz
My bad.

Despite people complaining about how inferior iPhone is to what Android has to offer, iPhone works well and I have to say their ecosystem is brilliant. My wife is all Apple, an average user and her iPhone, Macbook and iPad all work harmoniously for her. Me, I've got a Windows 8.1 tablet and an Android and they can't do much together at all. It's pathetic how you can't easily NFC from each other among other things. I can't ditch my tablet so some days I think it's better to get a Windows Phone and then I think it's better to go all out Apple. They make big bucks because an iPhone user will probably have a Macbook and an iPad. I was at a stem cell conference recently and in a 500 seat lecture hall I saw one Windows tablet (my own one) and 70-80 Macbook Airs, most people had their iPhones sitting next to theirs. As amazing as a Note 4 is as an example, I'd probably buy an iPhone with a Macbook Air instead if I'm totally honest. Apple makes excellent products, they have built a fan base and 'Apple world' where their products work together for every type of user. Other companies need to step up and give us a similar experience like Microsoft and Google allowing me to share flipping photos without a flipping wire!
Boinng
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-05-06 13:04
For many years people have derided the Apple "fanbase" and the loyalty of Apple customers, but the truth is that's the secret of their success, the fact that they've been able to build that loyalty over the years with a blend of good products and good services that work together. It's not easy to just walk out on the ease and convenience of Apple's ecosystem once you've bought into it, and more to the point most people just don't want to. It's "sticky" in a way that none of the competition, including Google themselves, have ever quite matched.

I've had iPhones since 2008, and that's lead directly onto owning a Mac, an iPad, Apple TV etc. In the same period of time, all my immediate family (wife, in laws, parents, sister) and many of my friends have gone from Nokias and PCs to iPhones, iPads, and Macs, and we're now tied together through things like family sharing, shared photostreams, imessage, facetime. None of this has happened deliberately - at no point did anyone say "hey everyone, let's all go Apple" - but it's happened, and if anyone were to switch brand now they'd be breaking up and losing out on that social circle.

I totally get how this might seem crazy to the average Android user, flitting from Sony to Samsung to HTC on the basis of price and cold hard specs - but the fact is Apple's business model is really quite different, and a little bit genius, and it works very well for its customers as well as itself.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2015-05-06 17:17
Good points but I do however know quite a few people who have jumped ship and I hardly think they're THAT bothered about losing out on that particular social circle when there are just so many others they can use to keep in touch.

Most of the people I know use Whatsapp and Facebook messenger. Teens and younger users are even ditching these 'traditional' platforms and taking up new social media platforms BECAUSE they don't want their families knowing about their antics ha ha ha.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2015-05-06 16:18 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi