Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Considering Exiting The Mobile Phone Business ?

12  Next
Author Sony Considering Exiting The Mobile Phone Business ?
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2015-01-13 21:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://www.reuters.com/articl[....]sony-ceo-idUSKBN0KL27F20150112

Lets hope this isn't true it would be a real shame after the loss of Nokia.
It seems that with Samsung's current fall in Galaxy sales and terrible loss of profits , HTC's well documented fiscal troubles and this news about Sony only certain Chinese manufacturers can currently make any money out of Android.
[ This Message was edited by: lemmy31 on 2015-01-13 20:52 ]
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-01-13 22:10
there are still money that can be made, they just need to go low profit margin strategy like xiaomi and grow its market share over time. I am not sure what average consumers in china think of sony as a brand since they are Japanese but never hear negative things from my chinese friends.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2015-01-13 23:54
It's hard to believe that Sony, with it's huge media and music heritage will wave goodbye to it's smartphone business. It's smartphones are it's main exposure of the Walkman brand. It would be almost like waving goodbye to Walkman too.
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2015-01-14 00:21
If this was true, this would have a major effect on the phone industry. Sony have always been the innovators and trendsetters but just never got that marketing or production issues sorted.

I would be deeply gutted if they exited the market as since Ive been using Sony tech for a long time. Having made jumps to other phones/OS in the past, i was never happy with them and always came back to Sony because I knew I would be using something special and typical Sony. Thats what Sony need to do to convince consumers and if they can they will be force to be reckoned with.

If its just me that this reminds me of SE days when they were having problems and Sony bought out their share to resurrect the Xperia brand. I just hope that is not the case.

P.S. I could never go to Apple again, use Samsung or LG. Just all have their weaknesses that outweigh their positives and for me Sony has more positives than negatives to me.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2015-01-14 02:47
i would be devastated!!!!

if this happens.. i'd probably just get google nexus devices. sigh. would be a very very sad day.

what else does sony even make now? just audio stuff?
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2015-01-14 04:23
Yup. Radios, cameras, wireless speakers etc. I think their Android TV's are pretty good. I hope they can turn things around.
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2015-01-14 09:31
I find it hard to believe.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2015-01-14 11:15
This is like what Sony did when they sold their laptop devision which Samsung also did. Maybe someone else might run things better?? Motorola are doing ok under Lenovo with decent phones and timely updates. If they sold it would it mean selling Sony brand names too or just mobile devision?? They won't be selling Walkman brands etc?? Maybe Google will buy them then spit the rest out selling it on to someone else with the bits they don't want.
Phone?? What phone??
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2015-01-14 22:17
Hard to believe,can't see any future for electronics company with no mobile devices.
emporium
Sony Xperia V
PM
Posted: 2015-01-15 00:51
On phonearena says one of options is getting partner. If e.g. foxcon can produce for apple and nokia, why should not for sony?
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2015-01-15 01:29
Samsung should buy it...
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2015-01-18 12:49

On 2015-01-13 23:54:24, goldenface wrote:
It's hard to believe that Sony, with it's huge media and music heritage will wave goodbye to it's smartphone business. It's smartphones are it's main exposure of the Walkman brand. It would be almost like waving goodbye to Walkman too.

Depends where you are located. In the USA sure most people know walkman through the phones. Probably the same for Europe, but I see people buying standalone walkmans as well, I am one of them, a small minority, but I try to collect as many as I can. The situation is the opposite in Japan for sure, where the Walkman is still selling quite well, might also be the case in some other Asian countries.

There were rumours on here and from other sources that the walkman would die but at this moment it is still going. Sure the lower and mid end range of walkmans have not been updated in europe or elsewhere, only Japan has the S-series for now, if this will cross over to europe, is anyone's guess.

Anyways, as pointed out above, this is similar to the situation with Vaio, which I hope is not the case, since we all know how that ended. For now we know a Z4 will be coming but a Z5?
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2015-02-21 06:27
I still have my Sony laptop, Sony Cameras and my trusted Z2. I can't live without my Sony electronics. I hope they stay alive with their mobile devision.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2015-02-24 01:47

On 2015-02-21 06:27:46, Residentevil wrote:
I still have my Sony laptop, Sony Cameras and my trusted Z2. I can't live without my Sony electronics. I hope they stay alive with their mobile devision.

^ you've stated consumerism of the capitalists market glee perfectly!

Your Sony devices, neh your gadgets are not:
Next of Kin,
Your children,
nor your significant other,

Your gadgets do not:
Make you money your the family income to survive on (VERY few here can honestly make this claim),
provide nor feed you Food,
provide emotional nor intellectual support nor growth in either (may using smart internet or apps can intellectually),

So I highly can wager you WILL be able to survive without Sony electronics. I have been able to since the demise of the:

Original Sony Walkman WM-AF54 (just before Auto-Reverse debuted; if you have to Google this you're far too young)

The Original Sony 'collapsible' metal Cassette Player, WM-10

* NOTE: As a hint I was 10yrs old rocking this in the day when these where considered HOTTER than any other personal device EVER made! Men making $50K/yr riding a long commute here in Toronto on the TTC would accuse me in the summer that I stole it, being a young black kid, and I'd say "nope I didn't. My pops works at the airport and you damn fools that travel and not go back to pickup your luggage in two weeks, airport staff gets first dibs on anything within. So you're a fool not to claim your goods and it's all legal, so watch yo damn mouth!" This device wasn't even available in N. America for another 2yrs!!

[img]Sony WM-10 Stereo Cassette Player:
http://www.stereo2go.com/file[....]eImage/true/CIMG8061.JPG[/img]

[img]http://media.engadget.com/img/products/445/9jfy/9jfy.jpg
[/img]

With prestine headphones that looked so damn futuristic - when everyone else had cheap foam on their ears!

Or the MiniDisc error ... you know that disc shown in the Matrix when near wakes up to Trinity saying "Follow the Rabbit. Knock Knock" sells the data to that mesc-aline addict?
[ This Message was edited by: Supa_Fly on 2015-02-24 00:55 ]
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2015-02-24 10:32
those were the days . Only two buttons. Play and ff.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi