Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Russia's Apple monument dismantled after Tim Cook comes out as gay

Previous  12
Author Russia's Apple monument dismantled after Tim Cook comes out as gay
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-11-06 19:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
So why the NEED for Tim to make this public? Really what does it benefit him if his life is so - so damn healthy & private?! Who gives a real FAK?! I'd say 'because it's fashionable' ... to shock or be in the "IN" crowd, being gay is like being the new emmo, or sorry better yet yuppy!

I think this is exactly why its getting controversial. Why would he come out now? And why is he so proud? In one of the articles posted above..... there's nothin wrong with being gay, but does he have to brag about it?

Like it or not, Tim is a very public figure, he's like a celebrity in the tech world. Even if he doesn't want it (or he does?) ... children look up to him, he's like a 'mentor' or something like it. And just like any mentor - he has a responsibility to his followers. Which is why Russia thinks... he is sending the "wrong message" to children, by saying he is "proud" to be gay.

a quote from the article above.
"After Apple CEO Tim Cook publicly called for sodomy, the monument was taken down to abide to the Russian federal law protecting children from information promoting denial of traditional family values."

Another thing, I also saw in one of the articles, ........" If a child sees a man kissing another man on the lips... will Tim say to that child that it's wrong?" Will he still lead by example, and say its wrong, when its clearly something he's okay with?

I think this is one of the roots of the controversy. And is maybe the same reason Saudi Arabia and other middle eastern countries has the same anti-gay laws... they want to preserve their traditional values?

cheers!
..function cant coffee without in the morning.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-11-06 19:40
I am not shocked by any of the treatment gay people get these days because there will always be people out there whom are prejudice. I just think it's wrong how they get treated I just live & let live with gay people I have nothing against them(as long as they don't touch me) Although I also do not get why it's so cool and fashionable to 'come out' as I don't go around celebrating me being straight. I never understand the need to tell the world
Phone?? What phone??
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-11-06 20:48
I wouldn't say it was 'cool' as such. From his point of view, from what I've read, a big part of it was to help others who might be in the same situation.

In Russia, it's a big problem for gays. I've watched some horrific documentaries on the issues some face in Russia. It's like the worst form or racism, people being battered in the streets, ostracised, disowned, beaten to death etc.

In the West, the EU, the US etc, because we live in a liberal democracy, the message to people from all backgrounds is that as long as your not harming anyone else then you should be free to live your life. Sure, not everyone will agree with your lifestyle, your religion or whatever but you should be able to feel safe and live your life as a productive member of society, CEO's included.

How this affects Apple's business, well it's early to say because their products are hugely popular in countries where you can be killed for being gay. However, there is news blackouts and such so this news might not even make a ripple in the news.

To a lot, this isn't news worth mentioning. The fact that it's Apple makes it news. I would certainly be more surprised if the head of Sony came out as being gayer than a box of ribbons ha ha ha.
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-11-06 21:02
If we want to talk politics then this is probably a move from Russia to curb out western influence i.e. America.

Apple is the symbol of America and a very successful one, using this as bait is just a small snowball waiting to get bigger.

Its like Americans banning Smirnoff Vodka and claiming Russia are full of alcoholics.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-11-06 21:16
Ha ha. Please let's not ban Smirnoff!

Yeah, but I agree, the whole issue will probably become a political football for Russian politicians to score points with.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-11-06 21:49
I think it's wrong if it effects their business. Putin is a dangerous man in my view I don't trust him he's very shifty looking
Phone?? What phone??
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-11-07 06:07

On 2014-11-06 19:33:15, difenbaker wrote:
So why the NEED for Tim to make this public? Really what does it benefit him if his life is so - so damn healthy & private?! Who gives a real FAK?! I'd say 'because it's fashionable' ... to shock or be in the "IN" crowd, being gay is like being the new emmo, or sorry better yet yuppy!

I think this is exactly why its getting controversial. Why would he come out now? And why is he so proud? In one of the articles posted above..... there's nothin wrong with being gay, but does he have to brag about it?

Like it or not, Tim is a very public figure, he's like a celebrity in the tech world. Even if he doesn't want it (or he does?) ... children look up to him, he's like a 'mentor' or something like it. And just like any mentor - he has a responsibility to his followers. Which is why Russia thinks... he is sending the "wrong message" to children, by saying he is "proud" to be gay.

a quote from the article above.
"After Apple CEO Tim Cook publicly called for sodomy, the monument was taken down to abide to the Russian federal law protecting children from information promoting denial of traditional family values."

Another thing, I also saw in one of the articles, ........" If a child sees a man kissing another man on the lips... will Tim say to that child that it's wrong?" Will he still lead by example, and say its wrong, when its clearly something he's okay with?

I think this is one of the roots of the controversy. And is maybe the same reason Saudi Arabia and other middle eastern countries has the same anti-gay laws... they want to preserve their traditional values?

cheers!

Well said!

I'm glad to participant in an intelligent conversation with the lot of you. Most impressed seeing the different views and comments laid here intelligently.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Boinng
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-11-30 23:53
Genuinely surprised at some of the comments in this thread. Why is he "proud"? Because people like Putin and many other homophobes around the world want him to feel ashamed, that's why. Why is he making public statements about this? Because others like him in other parts of the world are having to hide away and risk their lives just to be who they are - and if someone as successful as TC living in a supposedly free country like the US can't talk about it then what hope do others have.

It's very easy to be straight. The vast majority of the world's population are straight. I don't think there are any countries in the world where you get beaten or imprisoned just for being straight. If you happen on the other hand to be gay, and yet despite all the abuse, all the barriers, all the ferocious discrimination and fear that gets put your way, you remain true to yourself, and you take the more difficult road of actually being yourself and encouraging others in the same situation to do the same well, I think that's something to be proud of actually. And I say that as an entirely straight man.
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-12-01 04:05
@Boinng - Unfortunately the big old US of A aint a free country anymore and the term that its the land of opportunity is pretty much well and truly outdated. I mean look at those hardcore religious groups who hate everyone except themselves and even if you were a foreigner looking to start a new life in America, if your not a so called first class citizen then you are dirt to them. Don't even get me started on having a gun as an essential item in your home lol

P.S. Sorry to go off on another direction but this stuff annoys me.......
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi