Author One flagship per year
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-10-27 11:25
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony’s New Strategy Is To Release One Flagship Smartphone A Year [Rumor]
By Tyler Lee on 10/27/2014

According to a rumor last week, Sony is said to be revising their smartphone sales estimates again. This does not bode well as it was just last month that the company had slashed their forecasts, so another revision would mean that the company isn’t selling as many smartphones as they would like.

That being said, it seems that apart from revising their sales estimates, Sony is also said to be reducing the number of flagship smartphones they release a year. As it stands, Sony releases two. Last year we were treated to the Sony Xperia Z followed by the Xperia Z1. This year we were treated to the Xperia Z2 and the Xperia Z3, but come 2015, we might only see one Sony flagship smartphone.

DigiTimes claims that Sony will be following in the footsteps of Apple who has typically released one flagship model a year (we suppose apart from screen size, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are near-identical in hardware). It seems that most Android OEMs tend to release two flagship phones a year to avoid losing market share.

Will this work out for Sony? We guess we’ll just have to wait and see, but we suppose if it is true, it could explain why the rumored specs of the Sony Xperia Z4 are so high, since Sony only plans on releasing one flagship phone a year.

continued;
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014[....]year-rumor/?utm_source=mainrss

cheers!

..function cant coffee without in the morning.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-10-27 22:03
I remember reading that the main reason for the six month strategy was to catch up with competitors in the technology field.

Xperia devices have not always received glowing reviews over the years, deservedly or not.

However, I'm detecting a sea-change with the current releases, the Z3 and Z3 Compact have been receiving great reviews and if the Z4 rumours are anything to go by then it will be up there with the very best.

If true, then it means that it will be able to stand the onslaught of it's rivals for longer, well into the far end of the year cycle, so a new high-end six months down the line will be less likely.

Sony's mid range also needs sorting out. Any phone with a small screen / body ratio is hard to find attractive, especially when a premium is being paid. They should keep their devices as compact as possible, at all price points.

The good thing is they now have a bigger foothold in the US. I just wish the Z3 and Compact was released on Verizon instead. I think they now need to bring out more high end devices as these are what they excel in.

I'd like to see a new 6" device to enhance the range. I'd like to see a Z4 which is the same dimensions as the Z3 but with a slightly larger screen and a hike is processing power and with some value features added.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-10-28 02:05
I believe it may annoy many who have signed up to 24 month contracts with a Sony phone with 6 months flagships
Phone?? What phone??
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-10-28 14:01
The six month cycle could also delight those who are coming out of a 24 month contract to find they will never have to upgrade to a phone than is more six months old.

It works both ways.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi