Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung promises to compensate factory workers who suffered cancer

Author Samsung promises to compensate factory workers who suffered cancer
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2014-05-14 15:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Samsung Electronics has apologised and promised compensation to chip factory workers who suffered cancers linked to chemical exposure, a rare win for families and activists seven years after the death of a 23-year-old employee from leukemia galvanised a movement to hold the company to account.

Samsung said the apology does not mean it concedes a link between the chemicals used in its chip factories and cancer and other diseases. However, the company’s statement on Wednesday that it should have sought a solution to the controversy sooner is an abrupt shift in its stance and a form of vindication for workers and their families.

Samsung’s vice-chairman Kwon Oh-hyun said the company, the world's largest maker of smartphones and memory chips, will compensate workers and their families.

Read more...
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-14 15:32
hm... as they should have?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-05-14 15:48
I heard about this quite some time ago seeing people protesting outside the Samsung factory about this. Took their time over it
Phone?? What phone??
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2014-05-14 16:52
I think that even if it's half proven that it's the companies fault they should pay.
We had some cases like this in the Netherlands also.
kunalmothe
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-11-01 09:22
That was great step taken by Samsung to keep their brand name in market.
goldendragon
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-12-09 09:43
It's really a great news to hear that Samsung to compensate factory workers who suffered cancer but when the company is going to implement the law? I heard this news since a long time.
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-12-09 11:35
I'm a cancer researcher and it's terrible that there is any possibility that workers should get cancer from these chemicals. I work with some nasty chemicals but I'm trained and for that reason I'm super duper ultra cautious. That suggests that what they were using was highly dangerous, they weren't trained properly or they just didn't know. Someone at Samsung was either reckless or knew the potential risk and for that you should see some heads roll. If they develop secondary tumours then the money means nothing. Treating cancer permanently is near impossible.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi