Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > END OF AN ERA: Microsoft buys Nokia

Author END OF AN ERA: Microsoft buys Nokia
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-11-17 16:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
As we know Nokia is done with making phones but they do have something up their sleeve which will all be revealed tomorrow.
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia[....]oduct_coming_up-news-10228.php

[ This Message was edited by: on 2014-11-17 15:45 ]
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-11-18 02:10

On 2014-10-25 00:30:00, Bonovox wrote:
Rumour has it yesterday Lenovo is possibly going to buy Blackberry

Man ... that didn't pan out and it made NO DAMN sense at all.

Lenovo was already in the midst of finalizing their deal to acquire BOTH IBM's Server business and Motorola Mobility division from Google ... both publicly known. And they did both just before completing financial reporting which missed analysts ratings.

Doesn't anyone here read Reuters or Bloomberg?!
Either way the stock remained up inspite of false rumors up to 3 days ago. I'm up $5CAN on the stock since July 2014, sold and then repurchased 2 shares ... again at 2 total. Buying more the next month along with Silver ETFs. Energy to follow beginning December.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-11-18 02:23

On 2014-11-04 18:50:04, alenn wrote:
I do hope that Microsoft rots away. Shame on Nokia for not doing a better job in improving. It's such a shame they were too slow with Symbian. Oh well, when I'll have a job I'll buy some legendary Nokias and just stash it somewhere..

Spoken like a true fan-boy that knows nothing about Microsoft.

Yes lets hope they rot away ... with NO company to replace them:
Largest Desktop software business = Windows
Largest Enterprise Server Software business = Windows Server, SQL Server, Exchange Server (yes ActiveSync for your smartphones cause Google shuns it; enjoy going back to POP/IMAP), Azure server (real-time language translation services ON-THE-FLY - not even GOOGLE can do this!!) Trading of stocks globally rely on WinCE code (have you watch Batman: Dark Knight Rises, the stock market robbery scene? Remember that tablet with the aircard pulled out?! If you have to ask what an aircard is you're seriously out of the loop of technological evolution and have no idea just how your statement above impacts YOU or your family's income). Many more software and services.

I see ORACLE and SAP able to take over SQL but enjoy that complexity.

You can all go back to Novel or IBM Lotus Symphony/Notes for work based email programs and servers - enjoy that hell!!
PHP+LAMP/APACHE handles web-based sites ... but for business' to function (outside of Germany) it's Windows Server for a vast majority of resources and business intelligence. And no this is NOT legacy it's truth in power.

You're also forgetting it was Microsoft that brought HotSpots to smart mobile devices:
Aircards (PCMCIA based Type II cards) in Compaq iPaq Pocket-PC devices,
First to have calls on PDA's yeah remember those before the Treo or BlackBerry could make calls .. when phones where KING, actually when Nokia 6360 was king, :///: Ericsson phones like the T28World/T-36 or T-39m was around.

Those where the days of Evolution, today it's more of a Revolution.
[ This Message was edited by: on 2014-11-18 01:25 ]
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-11-18 03:35

On 2014-11-18 02:23:43, Supa_Fly wrote:

Maybe but it will be hard for them to do that...

They are also trying to compete in the cloud computing space but Microsoft have set themselves up in a very strong position there. Their "A team" has been working on Azure for a while and we are slowly starting to see the results come in.. the only real competitor they have is AWS and Google.

Microsoft overtook ExxonMobile and became the second most valuable company in the world after Apple, and there are many reason for that
[ This Message was edited by: on 2014-11-18 02:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2014-11-18 02:36 ]
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2015-01-09 16:05
Rise & Demise of Nokia
[ This Message was edited by: XperiaJunkie on 2015-01-09 15:12 ]
They're in my head
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-09-28 08:20
Bit of an old thread this but I'd like to get people's opinion on the resurgence of the Nokia brand. Are people glance to see the once telecom giants back or do you think HMD are just trying ride on a wave of nostalgia that will eventually come to an abrupt end?
They're in my head
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2017-09-28 10:50
I'm guessing quite a lot of people are glad to see the brand rise from the ashes. It's a powerful brand too, so that will help a lot.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-09-28 12:52

On 2017-09-28 08:20:40, XperiaJunkie wrote:
Bit of an old thread this but I'd like to get people's opinion on the resurgence of the Nokia brand. Are people glance to see the once telecom giants back or do you think HMD are just trying ride on a wave of nostalgia that will eventually come to an abrupt end?

I doubt they will get back to Nokia's former glory, but I hope they stick around, I just get the feeling they will slowly wither away.

HMD are playing too much toward the nostalgia, and not bringing enough of something completely different. Their phones look like generic Android devices.

Nokia were brilliant at Hardware but not so good at Software, they did get better in Symbian Belle and did a great job with Maemo and Meego, but it was far too late but then.

They need to differentiate a lot more in Hardware and Software as well as market the hell out out of their products.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Aivar
T68i
PM
Posted: 2017-10-02 13:24
I will wait for Ericsson
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-10-07 05:45

On 2017-09-28 12:52:44, Tsepz_GP wrote:

I doubt they will get back to Nokia's former glory, but I hope they stick around, I just get the feeling they will slowly wither away.

HMD are playing too much toward the nostalgia, and not bringing enough of something completely different. Their phones look like generic Android devices.

Nokia were brilliant at Hardware but not so good at Software, they did get better in Symbian Belle and did a great job with Maemo and Meego, but it was far too late but then.

They need to differentiate a lot more in Hardware and Software as well as market the hell out out of their products.

Personally I don't feel HMD will ever restore Nokia to it's former glory ... I'm sure there are facts that could support my whims but I'll try without them:
- too many current phone owners are simplistic smartphone consumers that don't go beyond the confines of the OS and the apps main features downloaded for. This is based on the majority of the world being 25-39yr old users even in S60's and S40's heyday ... Globally not just N.America/UK/S.America.

- Many of the worlds 1.4 -1.8 billion cellphone users across the globe are not carrier large brand named Android phones but low end low cost models and brands = don't think UK/N.America ... think Japan/China/India. The latter 2 countries have a population of 1 billion people each so large numbers of users.

-Nokia has not been known as a brand at all for over 5yrs beyond Microsoft. Anyone still remembering that brand is associating remorse from that deal with M$ their trust is NOT going to accept a simple brand rememberance or brand loyalty advertisement. Not this far gone.

The two largest brands globally are thus so because they serve the majority of what users want:
Samsung & Apple
wide range of products
limited more OS supported range
security / features security/ ecosystem
etc etc etc. you know the drill and scent of how such a comparison goes; need not to discus ad nasuem.

This is where social media influences popular opinion and sales and thus revenues for large corporations.

Future:
More teeth into consumer/corporate data and AI mining/analytical etc.
More tight entrance into Health: recall the baby boomers have already retired 80% est ... yet their offspring is larger and their just 10yrs away from early retirement.
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2017-10-14 22:17
They are off to a good start

https://www.phonearena.com/ne[....]-million-in-first-year_id98906
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2017-10-15 09:33 ]
Boinng
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2017-10-17 12:59
Brands are funny things. I find it kind of odd that anyone would care what "Nokia" do now, given that we all know that the "Nokia" that is producing phones now has absolutely nothing to do with the actual Nokia that we remember. Nokia the phone manufacturer died years ago - it's staff sold on and subsequently made redundant by Microsoft, it's factories shut down, everything that made Nokia "Nokia" gone. In it's place is just a brand, a logo, a sticker stuck on something that would otherwise be a generic nameless Android phone - which is exactly what it is beneath the label.

I get that might be enough to fool the odd customer into some feeling of faux loyalty to this new product with an old name they remember - but those of us who frequent places like this, surely we know better don't we?
HunterWrigh
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2020-02-04 18:54
My father stores this phone. Probably plans to sell in 10 years. I think then it will rise in price as a rarity.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic