Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Water resistant and water proof

Author Water resistant and water proof
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-04 13:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
As we all know the mobile phones makers are selling these kind of phones. I remember when started it with the C702(yeah I had one). I even remember when my cousin put it in a glass of water. It worked fine for some minutes. Then it didn't. I went home and put it in rice until the other day. It did its job. It was an IP54.

Some don't understand this. The guys over Pocket-lint wrote an entry about this. Why? Because of this:

“Water proof” and “water resistant” mean the same thing, right? Apparently that’s what Archos CEO Loic Poirier thought — he was wrong.

Poirier was happily showing off his new phone — a Quechua — which is advertised to French hikers and mountain bikers. He tossed it on the floor. No problem! Then, with cameras rolling, he found a glass jar, dropped the phone in, and started to fill it up with water. The phone is rated at IP54 and advertised as being designed to “withstand the most demanding outdoor conditions”. When Poirier tried to turn the phone on, while still submerged, he got no response. He pulled it out of the jar, water dripping from its screen, but it wouldn’t turn on. That’s when the video signal was cut.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-03-04 14:35
It just takes a decent knowledge of vocabulary to know the difference between Waterproof & waterresistant
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-04 14:38
It'll be a requisite to know the difference between proof and resistant to become a CEO.
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-04 14:40
I have no problems at all in using my phone either in the rain or the shower I have even used my old Xperia Z and my Z1 underwater takeing photos and videos with no issues at all however I do think any company who make an IP certified device needs to be more clear as to the limits of its product ie the the Z range of Sony's Xperia brand is fully waterproof and Sony like to shout about this but the phones still have their limits such as port flaps, depth and time, However the new GS5 is only splashproof and Samsung dont recommend you submerge the phone but it may survive but with no gaurantee the phone will work afterwards. This is the kind of clarity needed with all brands but more is needed just to put the customer at ease.
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-04 14:56
At their site, they have this:

The Quechua 5'' Phone complies with the IP54 standard
Developed to withstand the most demanding outdoor conditions. It is designed to withstand splattering with water from all directions as well the harmful effects of dust and sand.
This product can indeed cope with a violent downpour from a storm when out hiking, being accidentally dropped in the snow or even a sand storm when trekking in the desert.

In order to maintain its watertight properties and prevent any water or dust from getting inside, make sure that the caps covering the SIM/SD card slot as well as the USB port and the headphone socket are properly in place.

Please note: this product is not designed for underwater use.
As with all touch screens, the screen will not work properly if it is very damp or if it is raining heavily. It is advisable to wipe or even dry it for it to work properly
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-04 15:07
this is copied direct from the GS5 microsite
Protecting Your Freedom
from Dust & Water

Dust & Water Resistant
Made to last longer and stronger
With an IP67 certification, Galaxy S5 is resistant to sweat, rain, liquids, sand and dust, so your phone is protected for
any activity and situation

I cant find a disclaimer anywere on that site confirms what level of resistance the GS5 has although it does show the IP67 rating but this to the average customer will mean nothing.

this is copied direct from the Xperia Z2 microsite

Always ready for the unexpected Switch songs with wet fingers in the pouring rain. This highly durable Android phone is both waterproof and dust resistant. So go ahead and enjoy it whenever, wherever.

*Covers must be shut. Only in freshwater up to 1.5 m for 30 minutes.Find out more about the phone’s IP rating

Think everyone will agree that on face value Sony displays the limits of the phone a lot more clearly.

They're in my head
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2014-03-04 16:18
Interesting post from Muhammad-Oli in the Xperia Z-thread:

Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
Posted: 2014-02-16 11:19

Please beware of the manufacturing quality of this phone.

I noticed a while ago that I had somehow got dust inside the camera lens on my phone and complained to Sony. I have hardly used the ports on my phone because I have both a charging dock and bluetooth headphones that mean I never need to open the ports again. So really, there was no explanation for the dust. Sony agreed with me and I was going to send my phone back very soon... until tonight when I decided to do some trick photography under water.

The instant that my phone hit the water, the screen started playing up — flickering as if the light sensor was detecting I was in a strobe light party. I thought it was just the screen playing up, thinking the water was my fingers but soon I realised it was worse than that. Then the screen went black.

The phone is still on. It shows signs of life occasionally, like the Facebook blue notification light coming on, but it is unusable now and I can not see the screen to select to turn it off, nor can I remove the battery.

However, having water inside the phone has allowed me to see where it is leaking out from, and it has shown me what the issue is. It is not to do with the seals on the ports, but the attachment of the whole back glass cover of the phone. The very top left corner of the back cover is not attached properly and I can flex it just by pinching it with my finger, pushing water out. I think if I tried, I could pry the whole cover off with just my fingernail.

I would suggest to everyone to check this on their phone and to be very careful of it.

For me, I think it is R.I.P. Xperia Z.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-04 16:38
That's sad! Another victim.
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2014-03-04 16:50
Sad, yes, but as Muhammad-Oli posted later, Sony apparently are going to repair his phone, I'm sure he'll let us know, when they've returned it to him.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
HPkuK610i
Sony Xperia ZR
PM
Posted: 2014-03-04 16:53
I own Xperia Active with IP67 and Xperia ZR with IP58,what confuse me is,why the more waterproof phone is less dustproof?
Black C5502

I Colors On My Signature
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-04 16:54
Yeah its a Sony gaurantee that if the hardware of the phone fails and it does get liquid damaged and is not human error they are likely to replace the device rather that repairing it. Good luck Oli
They're in my head
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-07 01:54
I've always known the difference it's the same with watches. A recent video test proved that the nano coated Moto G survived 30 minutes in a sink of water and it's only advertised as splash proof. Much better than Samsung GS5 so called water proof device
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-03-07 08:29

On 2014-03-07 01:54:00, Bonovox wrote:
I've always known the difference it's the same with watches. A recent video test proved that the nano coated Moto G survived 30 minutes in a sink of water and it's only advertised as splash proof. Much better than Samsung GS5 so called water proof device

...but the Galaxy S5 has never been called Waterproof.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-07 21:52
Oh,I thought it was
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi