Forum > General discussions > Tablets > Xperia Tablet Z2

Author Xperia Tablet Z2
Smaug
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-03-24 12:39
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-03-24 01:38:34, Felimenta97 wrote:
Oh, you guys think the Tablet Z2 is costing too much in your country? Do you REALLY think 400 pounds is too much (for the 16 Gb, WiFi only version)? What about 939 pounds/1549 dollars for the Brazilian one?

We feel your pain Felimenta97, but that is largely not Sony's making. You can thank your government for high import taxes and duties for that. It would be unreasonable to expect Sony to sell the Z2 below the COGS plus distribution and local excise given the financial constraints they are currently under.

The same taxes apply to most electronics sold in Brazil that are not manufactured within the country. It's why an iPhone costs over $1170 USD. The PS4 is over $1700. Sony did shift some manufacturing to Brazil recently. Perhaps you might benefit from lower prices in the future. I hope so anyway; it is unfortunate that Brazilians must endure absurdly high prices.

You're not alone though. Even in the UK, the cost of a Sony Action Cam is almost twice that of the US. And if you ever live in Singapore, try bringing up the price of a new car. There are some things in the world we cannot change.
Felimenta97
Sony Xperia S
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-26 00:44
Yep, I'm aware of that. What makes things even worse, is that people don't do nothing here to change it (I'm assuming you're not Brazillian and you maybe don't know that). They keep those incredibly high taxes because people still keep buying.

I've mentioned this a time or another here in Esato, but I will do it again: when the iPhone 4 or 4S (can't remember which right now) launched here, the 64 Gb version was about 3200 Brazillian Reais, I think (about 1388 USD today). A magazine here did some calculations and if you took a flight from São Paulo to NY, spent a night there, bought the same iPhone, with the same storage size, and came back, you'd still have 100 Brazilian Reais to spent.

Anyway, I took a quick look at the Z2 Tab manual and saw where the LED is. Much better than the Tab Z. However, I still want to see it in action.
I don't get people. Never Have, never will.
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-03-26 15:34
Got my z2 tablet today! LTE in white. Bought it in HK. $650, also bought the dock too.
Sony store did not have the noise canceling headphones.... nor the cover... It came with a free screen protector, and thats it.
The HK version has a usb cable, charger which is rated at 1.5A, just like the phones, and a very disappointing pair of headphones. It is the one with the round metal mesh that does not go deep into your ear canal, if u know what I mean...

Thanks to all the congratulations in advance. I am visitor here, and don't have Wi-Fi at all times, so I won't be able to answer questions or requests until day after tomorrow, unless I come across free Wi-Fi again!

anyway,

I arrived in HK this afternoon (from Tokyo), started browsing on the web (sony store HK webiste) in order to do some research on sony cameras, and by chance found out that the Z2 tablet was going on sale today. Kinda lucky!

So I go to the nearest Sony Centre in TST, but found out after a good 10 minute walk that the shop is under ronvation. So I get on the subway, go to the next nearest Sony centre, but after all the journey they tell me that they don't have the cover, or the LTE model in white.

However, on the way out, kinda feeling disappointed, there is a Fortress (electronics store) on the ground floor, so I walk in, just to check.

I ask, but they told me that it had not come in yet, and thats when I realised by chance that there was a big box by my foot, where I was standing. And guess what was inside... shipment of Z2 tablet that had arrived only moments ago, and some other staff were in the process of unpacking it!

Got it there, first customer! and I moaned that the case cover was not available... he said he will give me free the one for Z tablet (previous model) and it kinda fits... so I got that free too!
[ This Message was edited by: u2jewel on 2014-03-26 15:01 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-03-26 16:35
That's a nice story, you are very lucky, it's as if someone from above is looking down on you today.

Anyway, you must be very happy that you got your tablet and it's the exact version I am after too. If you can let us know what most impresses you about it then that would be cool (if you have the time).

Well done.

Pity about the headphones though.
Felimenta97
Sony Xperia S
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-26 22:26
When you have time, could you take a picture of the Status LED while it's on, please?

And, as you said, congratulations for getting it
I don't get people. Never Have, never will.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-27 03:03
I pre-ordered on clove and they've not said anything about the release being imminent yet.

*jealous*

If China was getting the LTE version not the HSPA version I'd go down to the market today to see what I could find.

Anybody spotted any of the accessories on sale yet? I'm looking at the bluetooth speaker dock, the bluetooth keyboard and maybe something like the Z Ultra stylus.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-03-27 20:57
£354.99 for the Wi-Fi version.

In fact all the versions seem to have about 10% off on this site.

http://www.valuebasket.com/search/search_by_ss?q=xperia+z2
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-03-28 01:29

On 2014-03-27 20:57:56, goldenface wrote:
£354.99 for the Wi-Fi version.

In fact all the versions seem to have about 10% off on this site.

http://www.valuebasket.com/search/search_by_ss?q=xperia+z2

Careful, ValueBasket has a pretty bad reputation. I definitely would avoid them.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-03-28 18:29
Thanks for the warning I read the reviews and it has put me right off.

Phonearena has just published the Z2 Tablet review here.

"In the end, unless you are aiming for a tad higher pixel density, the Z2 Tablet comes out as the best 10” Android slate you can buy at the moment. Even if you are firmly invested in the iOS tablet vortex, Sony's slate might wow you with the extra features it offers before the iPad Air, too."
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2014-03-28 17:35 ]
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2014-03-28 18:45

On 2014-03-28 18:29:49, goldenface wrote:
Thanks for the warning I read the reviews and it has put me right off.

Phonearena has just published the Z2 Tablet review here.

"In the end, unless you are aiming for a tad higher pixel density, the Z2 Tablet comes out as the best 10” Android slate you can buy at the moment. Even if you are firmly invested in the iOS tablet vortex, Sony's slate might wow you with the extra features it offers before the iPad Air, too."
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2014-03-28 17:35 ]

Now they say it has quad-speakers.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-29 03:32
PA are inaccruate in saying there are 4 speakers. I've scrutinised over 100 in the wild shots and they all confirm what the Tab Z2 online user guide clearly shows: there are two speakers.

Moreover, if you hold the device in landscape mode with two hands palm down you easily block the spekaers. That photo is from the same review that says:

"Sony's tablet flaunts four stereo speakers on the sides (in two by two format), which are situated in a way that prevents you from covering them with your palm when you hold the tablet in landscape mode"

They obviously didn't thoroughly test the device, [sarcasm]unless there are some magic invisible speakers that Sony don't advertise which can project the sound without a speaker opening, but then why would they not use such magic tech for all four speakers [/sarcasm].
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-29 05:08
This shop on ebay ship internationally and have stock ready for dispatch now.

~£430 all in. I just can't press the button. I already have Tablet Z. Do I really need to spend this money? Or is the Z Ultra the better bargain?

Sorry to keep repeating myself in this and the Z Ultra thread, but I'm really really torn up about this. Not since Aino, Satio, X1 and C905 have I wanted more different Sony (Ericsson) products in the space of a few months.

At that time I had C905, Aino and bought X1 for my dad, just to not let such a device go unbought.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-30 04:46
Done, via the ebay link I posted previously.

I figured that come November (upgrade time for me) it'll be easier to upgrade my contract to the next Ultra than to a tablet. Plus the Z Ultra is 6 months old already.

Am I excited? Bet your ass I am!
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-03-30 22:18
Ha, you have me excited now. I can't wait to get mine, might be tomorrow
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-04-02 10:01
A review by Wired
http://www.wired.co.uk/review[....]/2014-04/sony-xperia-z2-review

"Conclusion
The Sony Z2 Tablet improves on its predecessor with a lighter, slimmer casing and more powerful processor, while retaining its fine screen and perfectly good camera. It's around £399 for the cheapest 16GB version, rising to £449 for 32GB and £499 for one with 4G networking capability. The 4G version is perhaps a little on the pricey side, even for a high-end tablet, but the basic 16GB model has almost the same spec for a full £100 less.

In short, bloody brilliant."

LOL in the review they are claiming the Z Tablet (the first) to have glass back panel!
Wired you are not well informed!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic