Posted: 2014-03-06 22:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Review -> http://recombu.com/mobile/reviews/samsung/galaxy-s5/

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-07 03:36
Are Recombu having a laugh?? Xperia handsets are NOT the best in lowlight. In my experience the Z1 was terrible my G2 does way better. Don't know if the Z2 will be any better but good review for the Samsung anyway. Pity it's just too damn bland and boring. I'd still get the Z2 over this handset

LG G2 White
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2014-03-07 02:37 ]
emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-03-07 07:20
Samsung GALAXY S5 - Official Introduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XseHZyvGtg
emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-03-07 07:30
Images of official Galaxy S5 accessories surface online

www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2014[....]-s5-accessory-images-revealed/
emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-03-07 07:35
Samsung Galaxy S5 Phase Detection Autofocus Demonstrated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwiPJNeQOiE
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2014-03-07 21:46
Well, over a week since the announcements and im still not totally sure what i'll be going for this year.

I really like the Z2 this year, but theres the usual issues which put me off the phone, one being worries over the screen, the slow support of updates (compared to Samsung), the size of the handset which feels bigger than it is due to its angular design, the Sony launcher..

but the main problem for me is Sony's strategy. I really do not agree with releasing a flagship every 6 months. I hate not getting a new phone every year as UK contracts last 24 months usually now. That means theres going to be at least 3 new flagships from Sony between getting the Z2 and then a successor. For example, for those who got the Z early last year, theres still another two flagships to come from Sony in another years time before they can upgrade.

I don't want to be in that boat.

The S5 is growing on me, even if its not as convincing as my S3 was in 2012. Plus, i'll only be missing out on 1 new phone in the two years unless Samsung change their strategy to match Sony.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-07 21:51
The screen is much better on the Z2 with IPS this time. But don't say you don't agree with Sony's 6 month strategy on flagships in the Sony thread. For voicing my opinion as usual I was attacked from all corners
Phone?? What phone??
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-03-07 22:05
I don't agree with sony update policy as well/. 6 months cycle that is. But in terms of launcher that can be replaced with something like Nova or kit kat -both very nice
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-08 10:32
Quick question here, is it true that AMOLED screens dont work that well with water and can actually damage them. I know my Z1 can goe a bit mad when lots of drops of water are on the screen but when submerged its fine for camera use. I was wonder if the water or any other liquid for that mater may effect the organic element of the AMOLED display in the S5 as most of yopu will know Samsung oppted for an LCD display in the S4 Active could that be the reason why.
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-03-08 11:32

On 2014-03-07 21:46:16, etaab wrote:
Well, over a week since the announcements and im still not totally sure what i'll be going for this year.

I really like the Z2 this year, but theres the usual issues which put me off the phone, one being worries over the screen, the slow support of updates (compared to Samsung), the size of the handset which feels bigger than it is due to its angular design, the Sony launcher..

but the main problem for me is Sony's strategy. I really do not agree with releasing a flagship every 6 months. I hate not getting a new phone every year as UK contracts last 24 months usually now. That means theres going to be at least 3 new flagships from Sony between getting the Z2 and then a successor. For example, for those who got the Z early last year, theres still another two flagships to come from Sony in another years time before they can upgrade.

I don't want to be in that boat.

The S5 is growing on me, even if its not as convincing as my S3 was in 2012. Plus, i'll only be missing out on 1 new phone in the two years unless Samsung change their strategy to match Sony.

It has grown on me to, still won't get it, but I do like it. I know for me it's time I did the switch to the Note series, as I do really like the Note 3 and where Samsung is headed with that brand, as their premium brand.

I also hate Sony's 6month update cycle, it's the very reason why they will not catch up to Samsung and Apple, their portfolio gets confusing for the average user and it feels like there's always a new flagship out, also their slow updates, not a single sign of KitKat for the Z, Z1 or Z Ultra, yet GS4 and Note 3 are already getting 1st KitKat FW revisions.
Another issue is only a paltry 16GB built-in mem in their flagships, no 32GB variant, coming from having a GS3 32GB and GS4 32GB, I am not downgrading to a tiny 16GB in a 2014 high end smartphone, so the Xperia Z2 is a no-go for me to, I'd rather get a GS5 32GB, if I simply can't wait for the Note 4.

That is the beauty with having a Samsung, GS5 updates will come fast and are guaranteed to come for 2years, look at the GS3, it got 4.3 and is now waiting for 4.4, while HTC One X and Sony Xperia S are abandoned, they never even made 4.3, yet all launched H1 2012.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-09 02:04
Yes true Samsung even supported the GS2 upto last year. The 6 month Sony flagship policy is a bad move as people sign contracts for two years and not everyone can just opt out and buy the next Sony flagship sim free 6 months later. But a certain person in the Z2 thread said to me it's my fault for signing a contract. What a bad attitude that is,imagine of Sony said that to it's customers?? Anyway be interesting to see how well battery is improved over the S4 which Recombu claims is brilliant

LG G2 White
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2014-03-09 01:05 ]
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-03-09 09:04
while they didnt specifically say what is next, Sony next flagship in 6 months can be ultra 2, which is like how Samsung doing 6 months, or less between regular Galaxy and note line up.
DexterMoser
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-09 09:46

On 2014-03-07 07:3to33, emerson_shei wrote:
Samsung Galaxy S5 Phase Detection Autofocus Demonstrated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwiPJNeQOiE

This really will be something I'm gonna miss, no matter which device I'm getting next.
After the S4 I'm looking for 'something different' now, so no S5 and no phase detection for me

@XperiaJunkie:
Regarding AMOLED vs water, it shouldn't be any problem if the device is really water resistant or even waterproof. If you have water inside your phone you have more to worry about, I guess.
Samsung maybe needed all capacities for the S4, the yield rate of 5 inch 1080p screen wasn't that high, making it more expensive and more rar. But idk really.

@2 or 1 year or 6 months flagship strategy:
I don't really care, if there's a device I really want I'm gonna get it, I'm not going to adjust my needs to any business strategy. Even though I have a 24 month contract but that's only to subsidize my S4.
I'm even gonna say the obvious thing, with a 6 months strategy the manufacturer will be able to keep up to advancements coming from SoC, camera, display,... manufacturers more easily. A 2 year strategy would be horrible with this, and of course with sales.
Even Samsung is opting for this strategy to keep up with technological progress, of course this involves the Note and the S series, but doesn't change the fact that each Note has upped the specs to what is possible at that time and therefore way better than the same numbered S. I'm kind of surprised that the S5 has only 2GB RAM...

Btw. Regarding the heart rate monitor, I have two Apps on my phone which measure my heart rate very accurate in few seconds. Just with the help of the LED and camera. Am I the only one who uses these Apps and realized that?
Galaxy S4 (S600)
Looking forward to the Sony Xperia Z4 (or 5)
Feynman about Beauty
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-09 16:56
So I see a few people on this thread are complaining about Sony's 6 month flagship strategy and how it isn't fair to the customer. First of all how many different versions were there of the GS4 a total of 19 in the space of 10 months (20 if you include the GPE) albeit not all were available worldwide and now onto the GS5 how many customers will be annoyed when Samsung announce the roumored GS5 Prime a month or 2 after the release of the first version so stop complaining about Sony when Samsung are just as bad with multiple variants of the same phone with maybe more memory, lesser camera spec, lower screen resolution and so on.
[ This Message was edited by: XperiaJunkie on 2014-03-09 16:03 ]
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-03-09 17:58
A short upgrade cycle for the customer is a good thing. They're more likely to have a phone with the latest tech when it comes to upgrade. If the upgrade cycle was 24 months then some customers would only be able to upgrade to a phone which could be almost 2 years old. Who would want that?!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 8910 ... 414243  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic