Forum > General discussions > Rumours > SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014

Previous  123 ... 678 ... 414415416  Next
Author SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014
sami92a
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-16 23:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I wanna know more bout the International version of Z1 Mini, does anyone off the insiders have anything to share?
[ This Message was edited by: sami92a on 2013-10-17 01:51 ]
MartenR
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 06:24
Panasonic Sony stop OLED cooperation.
http://e.nikkei.com/e/ac/tnks/Nni20131016D1610A10.htm
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 07:15
Article seems to require a subscription and they're not accepting new ones.

Can you copy/paste?
dandyqb
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 07:21
Congratz and Goodluck kababayan!! Hope 2014 will bring me back to Sony!
MartenR
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 08:11
@vivftp
I don't have the subscription. I just could see the title which was Sony Panasonic pause OEL tie-up. I hoped someone here would have the subscription.
I guess zomg must know more about this. Could you ask him?
[ This Message was edited by: MartenR on 2013-10-17 07:16 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 12:09
A OLED with WhiteMagic tech would solve the color temperature issues of the tech, but Sony engineers knows more than I do, so my idea might not be feasible
10 years at Esato
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 12:31
@razec

Biggest problem would be power. As physicists would know, increasing the frequency of light, increases its energy. Red has the lowest energy, green has the median energy and blue the highest energy. All that considered, means that Blue LED sub-pixel consume more energy (and tend to burn out faster) than the other two.

LCD's don't have this problem has they have uniform white LED backlighting (which isn't OLED), each pixel is only a colour filtre with the liquid crystal blocking a certain amount of light from each sub-pixel, depending on what colour is needed.

At least that is my understanding of the situation.

So based off that, having an additional White OLED sub-pixel, which runs at ALL frequencies of the visible spectrum in addition to the pre-existing RGB LED's, will only increase power consumption.
This is of course assuming we're adding a W sub-pixel to an RGB Stripe OLED display (i.e NON-PenTile), where there would be 4 sub-pixels per pixel, as is with the Xperia P. RGBW PenTile Displays already exist with OLED, but they only have 2 sub-pixels per pixel (RG, BW, RG, BW as opposed to just RGBW, RGBW)

This is only a guess based on what I know, so please don't quote me on this. I could be completely wrong here.
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2013-10-17 11:35 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 13:02
^^ Nice insight there mate

Just hoping all future Xperia devices would use the same display tech as the one used by ZU, sans the pencil input
10 years at Esato
SON1Q
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 13:17
@sami92a

I don't have any insider info but as an educated guess I'm thinking they put more resources into focusing on the Z1 and bringing it to market earlier and in more regions like the US.
The release date for the international Z1 f has probably moved from late 2013 to early 2014.

I'm guessing it will be released at CES '14 internationally.
This is actually a good thing as they can fix issues that may arise in the early batches of the Japanese Z1 f over the next few months so that the international version doesn't suffer from them.
Shotokan81
Apple iPhone 3GS
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 14:15

On 2013-10-17 07:15:59, vivftp wrote:
Article seems to require a subscription and they're not accepting new ones.

Can you copy/paste?

Did not even click on it, I think the story is simple, Pana is retiring from the TV market, closing and selling plants.

What would they do with an Oled tie up with Sony now...
[ This Message was edited by: Shotokan81 on 2013-10-17 13:15 ]
本当に良い刀は鞘に入っている
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 15:04
@-XYZ @razec,

don't forget that OLED screens actually consume more power than regular LED back-lighted LCD's when displaying pure white ( all subpixels are working )...

Maybe, maybe, they uses a semi-transparent OLED panel and added an LED back-light also with a one way mirror between them...

For me, the only solution to have a good display and good battery life for this time, is to optimize Android and the SoC... and depend on IPS displays... if they design the SoC and optimize it for Android they will surly increase the battery life... Qualcomm proved it with their Dalvik optimization, and I think redesigning an ARM core specially for Android will greatly improve performance per watt...

Apple is doing it now already for their iOS... I know it takes time and resources, but if SoC makers unite their resources for this purpose, they will really make a different...

Or, we wait till better OLED materials is discovered... or invented which will take much longer time than optimizing ARM cores and Android...
MartenR
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 15:50
Crystal LED is actually the most efficient backlighted panel and closely followed by MEMS LCD.
@ insiders what do you think about this?
http://www.oled-info.com/auo-[....]tion-their-singapores-afpd-fab
The capacity is just 45000 panels a mounth.
[ This Message was edited by: MartenR on 2013-10-17 14:55 ]
sami92a
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 16:54

On 2013-10-17 13:17:47, SON1Q wrote:
@sami92a

I don't have any insider info but as an educated guess I'm thinking they put more resources into focusing on the Z1 and bringing it to market earlier and in more regions like the US.
The release date for the international Z1 f has probably moved from late 2013 to early 2014.

I'm guessing it will be released at CES '14 internationally.
This is actually a good thing as they can fix issues that may arise in the early batches of the Japanese Z1 f over the next few months so that the international version doesn't suffer from them.

yea ure right
karim128
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 19:54

On 2013-10-17 12:31:06, -XYZ wrote:
@razec

Biggest problem would be power. As physicists would know, increasing the frequency of light, increases its energy. Red has the lowest energy, green has the median energy and blue the highest energy. All that considered, means that Blue LED sub-pixel consume more energy (and tend to burn out faster) than the other two.

LCD's don't have this problem has they have uniform white LED backlighting (which isn't OLED), each pixel is only a colour filtre with the liquid crystal blocking a certain amount of light from each sub-pixel, depending on what colour is needed.

At least that is my understanding of the situation.

So based off that, having an additional White OLED sub-pixel, which runs at ALL frequencies of the visible spectrum in addition to the pre-existing RGB LED's, will only increase power consumption.
This is of course assuming we're adding a W sub-pixel to an RGB Stripe OLED display (i.e NON-PenTile), where there would be 4 sub-pixels per pixel, as is with the Xperia P. RGBW PenTile Displays already exist with OLED, but they only have 2 sub-pixels per pixel (RG, BW, RG, BW as opposed to just RGBW, RGBW)

This is only a guess based on what I know, so please don't quote me on this. I could be completely wrong here.
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2013-10-17 11:35 ]

Actually, there are two ways to make an OLED : either make white subpixel and apply a color filter in front of them to turn them into red, green and blue subpixel, or make subpixel that only emit one color. The biggest problem of using the first method, is that two thirds of the light are absorbed by the color filter (for example, in order to make a red subpixel, the red color filter absorb the green and blue light, leaving only the red which is less than third, but if you average the amount of light absorbed by the color filter in front of all subpixel, in absorbs exactly one third, assuming you're using a good color filter of course). In order to partially solve the problem, you add a white subpixel with no color filter at all. In case where you display pure white, no light is absorbed by the color filter as only the white subpixel is lit. In case you display either pure red, blue or green, no energy saving are made since only their respective subpixel (with the color filter) is lit. So you save more or less energy depending on how saturated your color is (the more undersaturated the color is, the more you save energy). Adding a white subpixel doesn't add anything when you don't use color filters in the first place like in OLED made by Samsung as there is no color filter to absorb light and energy.
And adding a white pixel have nothing to do with picture quality.

Edit : And image to explain the difference between the two technologies. Anybody that uses the second method adds the white subpixel (AUO, Japan Display, LG TV ...) whereas Samsung uses the first and don't use that subpixel .
[ This Message was edited by: karim128 on 2013-10-17 19:09 ]
MartenR
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-10-17 20:57
If the companies other than Samsung use filters then they are way behind Samsung. JDI's panel is said to have 10000:1 contrast ratio which is almost impossible to achive with filters.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 678 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic