Forum > General discussions > Rumours > SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014

Previous  123 ... 293031 ... 414415416  Next
Author SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-11-12 08:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
My personal opinion is that if Sony want to be special and unique...

They must work on increasing the unit sales for their high-end phones, after that they can go to the next step...

Custom designed SoC, I'm not talking Sony building their own SoC no... but rather asking another company like Qualcomm or MediaTek ( I prefer Qualcomm ) to have custom built SoC... nothing from ground but more like Sony adding more custom functionality to the SoC so they can have unique features...

Like What ?
They can ask Qualcomm to build a special version of APQ8084 for example but without any unneeded silicon, there's no mobile phone maker that utilise all the features of the SoC they use in their mobile phone as the SoC is built to have different uses and configurations.. maybe only Apple do this...
So removing all the non-used logics and add custom hardware silicons to provide additional features... see for example Google did that with the Moto X, they added custom logics to the SoC for the always running Voice command for example

Sony can add Camera processor, Audio processor, Bravia engine all in hardware rather than software, now it's not possible to do this because it will require another chip in the phone for each one, increasing power and space used by the phone... but adding a mobile optimised logic for this will be unique... Qualcomm already have a custom programmable cores in their SoC which might be useful for this and I don't know if Sony is already using these or not ( they might for Bravia for example ) but having a more targeted and designed cores just for these will give better performance for lower power usage... and might allow Sony to add more features...

The problem with this concept is initial cost and time as it will require to custom design the special cores and software to fully optimise these features... but later Sony might have it very easy as they can just copy the same logic to any newer SoC that Qualcomm is made... and might be also do some more optimising and adding more features...

The rest of the SoC will be exactly the same as any other Qualcomm SoC, so from a developer perspective nothing is changed, Qualcomm will not need another specially developed drivers/API only for Sony...

But in the first place they have to make sure that their investment and work in these custom things can be justified by the sales and number of units sold... it's not logical to build a custom SoC like this for only few millions units... but if the logic is already there then it's possible ( like what Google did with Moto X, the logic is there so they licensed it and asked Qualcomm to have it in a custom SoC )
sami92a
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-11-12 10:49

On 2013-11-12 03:47:17, milukugiuniu wrote:
Sony Expo 2013 will be held this evening in Shanghai. I'll be in there and share the information with you later.

AFAIK, there will not be any undisclosed devices showing up. Most likely, Z1 mini can be seen.

in how many hours from now?
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-11-12 11:00
Considering it's 6pm here in China I'd say anytime in the next couple hours at the latest.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
sami92a
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-11-12 11:10

On 2013-11-12 11:00:56, Ricky D wrote:
Considering it's 6pm here in China I'd say anytime in the next couple hours at the latest.

so between 1-3 hours?
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-11-12 11:12
I take it there is no live stream for the event.
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-11-12 11:27
Instead of ask chipset maker to develop a unique one, which would cost truck load of money that mobile division don't have right now. If possible I would love to see them to invest in Ericsson LTE modem tech and patent in order use to develop their own custom chip with LTE connectivity.

I guess, Sony would stick with Q for next year and maybe two before considering better options as I my idea above, they don't want to risk and learn to optimization another new chipset. About MediaTek I read that quoted it as outsource development, ODM device with Sony's skin UI.

As for matter of now, Q is good for today device. 64 bit chipset is something to watch out but not game changer until Android and Google fledged it fully supported in latter half of 2014. (it will pointless to push technology ahead of it time remember Android 2.3 and dual-core?) Q still have plenty of time to play around. 1H14 Q has slightly higher clock chipset MSM8974AB, I think Sony would skip it again (same as SD600 situation) and stick to a lower-bin MSM8974 (2.16GHz) with their hardware optimization know-how.

Fabrication process is far more concern threat this year, as Samsung vow to jump to 14nm in 2014 but TSMC still no any responses to counter that but we all know Korean often bluffing, I don't know if they would rush technology out of the gate again as it happen when they rush Exynos 5410 this year, which not fully working as they claim.

I still remember that day of very first Snapdragon S4's shortage, I think that Q and TSMC wouldn't risk it again.

three devices this evening, anyone would confirm this?
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2013-11-12 11:49
Instead of wasting money on useless custom Soc or buying some HW company, Sony should spend cash on Software.Nobody cares for custom only soc 2% of the crowd knows what Soc. is inside. Sony should build new unique software's Obviously Sony is giving us the latest Soc so all I care is perfect and useful software not like gimmick software features from Samsung.
SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE IS WHAT WE NEED
T610i-K700i-K750i-W700i-W810i-W560i-P1i-W910i-G900i-W595i-X10mini-Cedar-Xperia U-Xperia S-XZ Premimum
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-11-12 12:46
Looks from Sony China's weibo that the event has already started, not sure when it finishes.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-11-12 12:50
This is few sample of application / software publisher under brand of Sony

https://play.google.com/store[....]tal+Network+Applications,+Inc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Sony+Corporation

https://play.google.com/store[....]?id=Sony+Mobile+Communications

https://play.google.com/store[....]ails?id=com.sony.snei.mu.phone

Sony didn't take advantage from it resourcefulness and use it wisely for their Xperia smartphone.

Unfortunately, still no update on Engadget China
[ This Message was edited by: HxH on 2013-11-12 11:58 ]
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
sami92a
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-11-12 12:52

On 2013-11-12 12:46:09, Ricky D wrote:
Looks from Sony China's weibo that the event has already started, not sure when it finishes.

nice nice! keep us posted i canĀ“t wait to see whats coming
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-11-12 13:01
fingers crossed its all good news from Kaz not long now anyway.
They're in my head
sami92a
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-11-12 13:17
http://www.xperiablog.net/201[....]5503-first-sample-image-leaks/
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-11-12 13:22
^ just read that before they are stating it wont be released before the new year which is a shame as I am looking at one for a Christmas present for my girlfriend she keeps using my Z1 reading e-books in the bath so it will be ideal for her.
They're in my head
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-11-12 13:54

On 2013-11-12 11:49:38, smclion102 wrote:

SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE IS WHAT WE NEED

+1

Software has always been Sony's weakness, hinders the true potential of their hardware, right now Sony software is only just about right/decent, needs more tweaking and a little bit more features to become excellent.

I'm hoping Z1s will already have the rumored major camera software update out of the box so that it can leave a good impression once reviewers get their hands on it.
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-11-12 13:55
anybody else constantly refreshing there browser like me to see if there is any more news.
They're in my head
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 293031 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic