Previous  123 ... 228229230 ... 414415416  Next
Author SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 19:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-05-30 19:17:51, randomuser wrote:
Strange why we have so many posts on this issue. You all do realize sony is using a QHD panel for its 2015 flagship ? So where does that leave all these arguments against QHD displays. Point is a company in a position like Sony needs to stay on par with competition or a step ahead and not go back to the old sony Ericsson era.

And from what info i have, QHD display won't be the only thing that would be behind the competition on the Z3. It's really sad and intriguing at the same time.

There will be many Z2 users here I guess, as many of them will simply not want a QHD display phone as it will die within 10mins of use and have absolutely no benefit , at least that's what they are making it sound like.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 19:45
@RandomUser
Could you be more specific about the Z3?
What about it is going to be worse than the competition beyond the QHD screen.

• RAM? Most seem to be settling at around 3GB.
  • CPU? Sony cannot compete with Apple and cyclone, because Qualcomm has been too slow in updating its SoC after getting caught with their pants down last year. The other Android OEM's are probably going to be using SD805, and nothing more because 808 and 810 aren't ready for shipping yet.
  • Camera? Sony has the largest existing sensor on the market and I doubt they'd manufacture a bigger sensor for Apple, unless they have a bigger one ready for themselves. I've always said they needed to up their game with software in terms of JPEG processing and auto-focus and capture latency, and I've always maintained they should add some form of OIS.
  • Software? Well 4.4 is all there is so far. Their skin is getting heavier and heavier, with their shitty value add-ons. That stupid thing next to Google Now being a particular example but its certainly no worse than competition, with the exception of Stock android.
  • Battery? Again the 3200mAh battery is still larger than the competition so far. Even if other OEM's put larger cells in, its not like Sony's battery will be lacking by comparison.

Honestly, the toughest competition for the Z3 will be the Note 4, GS5 Prime and the iPhone 6; in other words, Apple and Samsung. Frankly, due to brand recognition Sony don't stand a chance against them quite yet (I guess they're building their rep still). HTC's M8 prime is rumoured to be cancelled and so I can't really say much about it. The G3, while having a dazzling display has some odd SKU variations with the cheaper one having only 2GB RAM and the more expensive one having 3GB. Even then it only runs on SD801, which by all accounts, Sony should beat.

The biggest concern beyond the obvious, is availability. They'll be fine with the rest of the world, but the US will be the biggest challenge. I don't know enough to understand what their position is in that respect so I guess I'll wait and see.
Unless of course you know that they're experiencing similar availability issues as with the Z2, in terms of supply and manufacturing delays. Do they?
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2014-05-30 18:46 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 19:49

On 2014-05-30 18:01:01, reeflotz wrote:
If it is efficient at QHD resolution, then it simply means it will be more efficient if it is 1080p only, which translates to better battery life, getting you more usage time on a single charge, and that is at the cost of what? pretty much almost none because I highly doubt you would still be able to pinpoint which screen is sharper like I said in my previous post.

And it will be more efficient if it is 720P, heck... if it's QVGA with the current phone specs we get it will be unbelievably efficient! I mean at the of the day we could've just stayed at 2.2inch QVGA, there was nothing wrong there, they were efficient, and they would cost less in R&D, as a matter of fact, a Nokia 1100 type phone would make the most sense, as at the end if the day all we REALLY need is to stay in-touch, yeah? We could use that argument to death, had we stayed on single core, 256mb ram etc... We could go on and on.

-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 20:01
My main problem with the QHD displays, is the fact that they are bigger. Why 5.5 inches?
That would make the main flagship EVEN BIGGER. Something that I feel is absolutely not necessary.
If they can make a 5 inch, or smaller display at QHD, then it would be more tolerable.

This whole resolution race. I fully understand why OEM's are taking part in it. I understand that Sony cannot get caught with smaller numbers on a spec sheet. After all, I assume that's the main reason Qualcomm adopted smaller cores, that run at higher frequencies, rather than going the Apple approach, and using larger cores, operating at lower frequencies.

However, I despise the current trend of ever expanding flagships. I don't mind them being 5 inches, but its reaching a point where every year....no....every 6 months even, flagships get slightly larger.
Its rather frustrating.

All I want from Sony, is 3 different sized smartphones: A 4.3 inch "Compact", a 4.7-5 inch "Main flagship" and a ~6 inch "Ultra" model. All with identical specs. The median flagship shouldn't get much larger than 5 inches. Those who want a smaller option have one, those who want a larger option have one.

Anyway, this is turning a bit into an Off-Topic rant...I should leave it at this.
MartenR
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 20:44
I think Japanese companies as a whole are not and won't be competetive unless a sovriegn debt default(which is probably going to happen in early 2020s) forces the whole country to change. For Sony it'd be better to move their headquarters to US and bring outside directors to replace current ones and gradually turn into an international based in US company and remove their operations from Japan. As a result of a tightening labor market and old and inefficient manufacturing infrastructure, production in Japan doesn't make sense and Japanese engineers are not globalized and don't get me started on managers. The market is also only shrinking there. Neither manufacturing, designing nor marketing makes sense anymore in Japan. Look at Panasonic, they localized their operation and diversified their designing and managed from Japan to the end markets and they are now profitable. I remember either one of the executives of Mitsubishi, Kawasaki, mitsui or another company said that they are hiring more south east Asians because they are more willing to improve productivity than Japanese. I hope Sony goes bankrupt and some company based out of Japan buys it and save all the legacy and technology of Sony. I don't have any faith in Kaz. The day he stepped in as CEO he should've slashed half of the Japanese manufacturing jobs and made Jobs in US for integrating entertainment and hardware. He should'nt have moved the Sony Mobile HQ to Japan Suzuki is a terrible manager. I feel sorry for all those engineers let down by him. And now Sony is estimating an overly optimistic results for FY2015 the same JAL didbin 2010 and in 2012 they filed for bankruptcy protection.
Shino03
S700
PM
Posted: 2014-05-31 04:43
All the android OEMs are in a crazy bloody spec WAR while in a different world, apple laughs at their madness.
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2014-05-31 06:00

On 2014-05-30 20:01:46, -XYZ wrote:

All I want from Sony, is 3 different sized smartphones: A 4.3 inch "Compact", a 4.7-5 inch "Main flagship" and a ~6 inch "Ultra" model. All with identical specs. The median flagship shouldn't get much larger than 5 inches. Those who want a smaller option have one, those who want a larger option have one.

Anyway, this is turning a bit into an Off-Topic rant...I should leave it at this.

Seems like you won't be getting what you want.
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2014-05-31 07:20

On 2014-05-30 19:49:40, Tsepz_GP wrote:
And it will be more efficient if it is 720P, heck... if it's QVGA with the current phone specs we get it will be unbelievably efficient! I mean at the of the day we could've just stayed at 2.2inch QVGA,

as a matter of fact, a Nokia 1100 type phone would make the most sense, as at the end if the day all we REALLY need is to stay in-touch, yeah? We could use that argument to death, had we stayed on single core, 256mb ram etc...

Oh come on I can't believe you can't comprehend the point of my post , read it again please, here let me quote it for you, AGAIN :facepalm:

because I highly doubt you would still be able to pinpoint which screen is sharper.

the transition from QVGA to 720p to 1080p had been beneficial because we could literally see the difference and we are using larger and larger screen sizes for phones. but from 1080p to QHD 5 inch, nope, the benefit is already minimal. There is a limit to again how much the human eye can see.

Do you get it now Mr. Tsepz GP? Try not to mock other peoples post when you weren't even able to comprehend it fully. You're going crazy thinking I said something about that we should not improve tech, when my post is just all about screen resolution and sizes and the benefit that we get from it. You've lost track of the argument.

@ topic

yeah sure QHD will be the standard, companies most of the time never asks what you like, instead they tell you what you should like and it has been that way for years. I'm just posting my opinion on this resolution race thing. Sure in the end we all pretty much have no choice anyway but to follow what these companies put out on the table.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2014-05-31 06:59 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-05-31 08:18

On 2014-05-31 07:20:14, reeflotz wrote:

On 2014-05-30 19:49:40, Tsepz_GP wrote:
And it will be more efficient if it is 720P, heck... if it's QVGA with the current phone specs we get it will be unbelievably efficient! I mean at the of the day we could've just stayed at 2.2inch QVGA,

as a matter of fact, a Nokia 1100 type phone would make the most sense, as at the end if the day all we REALLY need is to stay in-touch, yeah? We could use that argument to death, had we stayed on single core, 256mb ram etc...

Oh come on I can't believe you can't comprehend the point of my post , read it again please, here let me quote it for you, AGAIN :facepalm:

because I highly doubt you would still be able to pinpoint which screen is sharper.

the transition from QVGA to 720p to 1080p had been beneficial because we could literally see the difference and we are using larger and larger screen sizes for phones. but from 1080p to QHD 5 inch, nope, the benefit is already minimal. There is a limit to again how much the human eye can see.

Do you get it now Mr. Tsepz GP? Try not to mock other peoples post when you weren't even able to comprehend it fully. You're going crazy thinking I said something about that we should not improve tech, when my post is just all about screen resolution and sizes and the benefit that we get from it. You've lost track of the argument.

@ topic

yeah sure QHD will be the standard, companies most of the time never asks what you like, instead they tell you what you should like and it has been that way for years. I'm just posting my opinion on this resolution race thing. Sure in the end we all pretty much have no choice anyway but to follow what these companies put out on the table.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2014-05-31 06:59 ]

I didn't mock your post, you're the one who just isn't comprehending and overreacting. What I'm saying is that we can argue benefits in many areas, do phone screens really have to be as large as they are today? Do CPUs really have to be as overpowered? Do we really need so much memory? Has the move from 2GB RAM to 3GB RAM been that beneficial really? I can see QHD being beneficial for when phones become the base of a workstation, now that isn't happening right now but hey tech has always had a tendency of some areas moving faster than others. When my 4K TV mirrors what my QHD smartphone has on its display etc... I can see many benefits, as I keep saying, all this will not be done for nothing, if they want to bring 4K displays to smartphones then let them, we already got 4K video, and nobody was this hostile despite the overheating this causes the smartphone.
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2014-05-31 08:26
I don't think this is the right thread to post personal opinions unless they are related to Sony.

Anyway on topic,

Sony seems to be skipping S805. No S805 devices from Sony.

As for Snapdragon 810, I guess everyone knows its coming out next year Same for QHD display and 4GB RAM and upgraded internal memory sizes.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2014-05-31 07:26 ]
AbhiD999
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-05-31 08:33

On 2014-05-31 08:26:01, randomuser wrote:
I don't think this is the right thread to post personal opinions unless they are related to Sony.

Anyway on topic,

Sony seems to be skipping S805. No S805 devices from Sony.

As for Snapdragon 810, I guess everyone knows its coming out next year Same for QHD display and 4GB RAM and upgraded internal memory sizes.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2014-05-31 07:26 ]

That remains to be seen if Sony is actually skipping it or not.
So S808 ? That's the only choice left than.
I'm damm sure Sony won't use S801 in Z3 series. Or they could even end up cancelling the whole 2H flagship lot!
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2014-05-31 08:34
Most of the specs of Z3 are similar to Z2. Design will be the major difference mainly.

Also Z3 remains the only high end offering from Sony left for this year. No other high end devices.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2014-05-31 07:37 ]
AbhiD999
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-05-31 09:17

On 2014-05-31 08:34:47, randomuser wrote:
Most of the specs of Z3 are similar to Z2. Design will be the major difference mainly.

Also Z3 remains the only high end offering from Sony left for this year. No other high end devices.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2014-05-31 07:37 ]

Hmmm. . . So you wanna say z3 will use S801? And no other ultra or compact ?
That is highly unlikely! Maybe ain't true either.
Pretty much every source/leaker here has confirmed otherwise!
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2014-05-31 09:21
You can believe what you want to believe

There will be a compact, but not much different from Z1C
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2014-05-31 08:22 ]
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-31 09:42
Interesting...zomg said the Z3 would be class leading a couple weeks ago. I wonder what the change was caused by...if there is indeed, any change at all.

I wonder of Sony is catching on to these leaks and is purposefully using misdirection...who knows.
That could all just be wishful thinking.
All we can do is wait for ifa
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 228229230 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic