Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 222223224 ... 414415416  Next
Author SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-20 19:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm not convinced 8 cores are really necessary. Just seems to be overkill.
Apple gets by, by using 2 ENORMOUS cores, and a low-ish frequency. Qualcomm uses comparatively TINY little cores, that are clocked at over 2GHz. Are big numbers really that important?
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-05-20 20:07

On 2014-05-20 11:35:04, nodarsixar wrote:
Xperia Z3=Snapdragon 810?
http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]e-chips-onto-the-table_id56288

Nope, 810 will be in production in late 2014, in devices in early 2015...

Z3 = 805
Z4 = 810

@ascariss

That's for chipset availability, devices will need some time to be ready after
[ This Message was edited by: Xajel on 2014-05-20 19:10 ]
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-20 20:39
I really wish Sony would just nice kill their TV division already.
They would be better off investing in semiconductor fabrication, to make their own ARM based chipsets.
I mean eventually they could even start making the secondary chip in the PS4 and maybe even licencing AMD's APU for totally in-house fabrication, reducing costs by a f**kload, and allowing for higher margins.

Side benefit, they get experience in SoC design for use in their own smartphones.
sami92a
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-20 20:53

On 2014-05-20 20:39:31, -XYZ wrote:
I really wish Sony would just nice kill their TV division already.
They would be better off investing in semiconductor fabrication, to make their own ARM based chipsets.
I mean eventually they could even start making the secondary chip in the PS4 and maybe even licencing AMD's APU for totally in-house fabrication, reducing costs by a f**kload, and allowing for higher margins.

Side benefit, they get experience in SoC design for use in their own smartphones.

Hell no! I own a Bravia and its the best tv i ever owned so i really wish they´ll continue doing their awesome tvs!
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-05-20 21:09
I think that killing their tv division will hurt the brand very much because sony brand first of all is linked to tv historically and subconsciously: tv>sound>playstation>camera>mobile>laptops (that don't exist anymore for that reason also). with all sony's history in tvs and leading the industry for a long time it's a shame that they did not arrive to the point that they manufacture their own panels for mobile devices like lg, samsung, sharp are doing.
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-20 21:33
The TV division is killing their finances.
I think they should take the hit on their so-called "brand" and get rid of this gangrenous, cancerous, tumour of a division that is doing nothing but soaking up money and converting all profits into loss.
I'd be really surprised if they could pull of a turnaround, because Samsung, LG and Vizio are all driving prices downwards and doesn't matter how brilliant Sony's TV's are. Average Joe's go into a showroom, see that Samsung and LG's TV's have bright, oversaturated colours, look at the pricetage, see that Sony's is $500 more expensive, and then buy the Samsung.

This is all by the by though....
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-05-20 21:56
@-XYZ
It's easier to kill things, harder to rebuild... i agree about prices, they need to try to be more competitive. samsung is also rule the tv industry in affordable tvs with more features... at least sony has also affordable tv's it seems. i read an article in the newspaper about "best budget 50" LED tvs to buy for the upcoming mondial" and i was surprised to see sony on top (with samsung) and also sony was picked for best picture quality. they need more attractive budget tv's on the market, definitely. this seems to be their problem also for mobile devices. xperia z this z that.... high end... xperia e1 and m are pretty weak. moto g and others are a better deal.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2014-05-20 21:05 ]
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-05-20 22:01
Noooo, I'm planning on a new 70" Bravia soon

Any way, your idea might be good, but in real world, it's too costly, Apple did it in a multi-year planning, the design of such chip is a no easy task. from both time and cost sides...

manufacturing business is even harder, semiconductor plants are expensive, too expensive... and specialized mobile parts require special manufacturing plants also, not to mention licensing and the radio part also which even NV struggled with till they bought another company to speed up things... and convincing other manufacturer buying Sony chipset is very hard, NV is still working on this after investing billions of dollar which Sony now can't afford... and NV is much better known and experienced than Sony...

If Sony should make custom SoC, the best way I'm seeing it is to order a custom designed one from Qualcomm or MediaTek or both.. same like how Motorola did with their Moto X SoC...

the SoC might even be very similar to Qualcomm's own SoC but with some different logic or core counts / freq. thus requiring much less effort in the drivers side when new Android version is launched...

TV division while it's now loosing money, there's a hope and might even do some major changes...
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-21 02:08
i apologize but i don't know where to post this.

sony apparently is trying to close down xperiaguide.com.

what's with this stupidity? why close one of the blogs that try to promote sony's brand? they say it's about the use of the xperia name but i don't understand what kind of damage sony will be getting by having some blogs use xperia on their domain names. it's simply stupid. it creates bad relationships with fans who try to promote sony products. if this gets blown out of proportion, sony will suffer a PR problem. just imagine this getting reported on gsmarena, phonearena, and other high traffic sites.

sony's stagnating and even falling because of policies like this.
[ This Message was edited by: miromiromi on 2014-05-21 02:02 ]
DexterMoser
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2014-05-21 02:19
^Well that's indeed stupid.
And Xperiablog?
Galaxy S4 (S600)
Looking forward to the Sony Xperia Z4 (or 5)
Feynman about Beauty
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-05-21 07:23
They did it long time ago with XperiaBlog, but after few days they inked and agreement and XB is still breathing ( in 1 and 0's )

Sony is just protecting them selfs, as with XB, the agreement changed almost nothing to XB policy, it's just a guarantee that nothing will or might happens

-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-21 07:34
Probably because of leaks. Won't last long.
rss_ndrsn
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2014-05-21 08:35
I hope Xperia Z3's bezel is similar to Xperia ZL 2 but thinner. Imagine all features of Z2 in a smaller body. One could only dream.
AbhiD999
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-05-21 23:13
Z3, Z3 Compact and Z3 Ultra : The Trio launching at IFA. Source - DoomLoRD
DexterMoser
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2014-05-21 23:56
^That would be sick! (good)
Galaxy S4 (S600)
Looking forward to the Sony Xperia Z4 (or 5)
Feynman about Beauty
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 222223224 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic