Previous  123 ... 205206207 ... 414415416  Next
Author SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 10:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-04-30 09:34:51, Muhammad-Oli wrote:
In my opinion, the Arc design is stupid. Basically they're making the top and bottom fatter to make up for the huge chunk out of the middle. It's not efficient design at all.

It looks interesting, and it might sit in the hand well but there are other ways of doing that. As said above, a glass Arc phone would be fragile, so it would more likely be plastic if Sony ever made another one, and therefore it would probably feel quite cheap, just like the Arcs that have gone before.

I personally think it's unlikely, and also hope Sony don't do it.

I'm inclined to agree. The arc design has already been used twice. They should be able to come up with something new and equally ergonomic, but with better space efficiency.
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 11:59
Fellows, milukugiuniu said in earlier page: "The designing of Xperia will change a bit for the 2nd half with the edge getting round." i don't know about you, but i trust him. it doesn't sound like an arc design, but more like z2 design with find 7 like top and bottom curves or like ben ling's z3 concept design which also looks pretty nice: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2725781 some people i read complain about the edges being too sharp so i guess sony is listening.
@razec
wb.
i think you missed that design rumor.
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 12:43
Xperia Designs have become boring I want something fresh not a BAR phone
T610i-K700i-K750i-W700i-W810i-W560i-P1i-W910i-G900i-W595i-X10mini-Cedar-Xperia U-Xperia S-XZ Premimum
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 13:15
@smclion102
Agreed.
a find 7/oneplus like top and bottom curves with omnibalance with shorter bezel could be a nice change.
lewko
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 15:53
Hello,

What i would like to see from Sony this year (hope someone can confirm):
- a WP phone... decent one , mid-ranger is enough
- a ipad mini competitor - something like LG G Pad 8.3, but with S800 and a decent camera and IP58

For a cameraphone I wich sony takes the optics from their T range cybershots (Carl Zeiss ones, but probably they cannot due to licencing restrictions - remember CZ lenses in mobile devices are licensed to Nokia/MS). This periscope optics can fit into a smartphone body nicely at one of each ends.. it provides true optical zoom, OIS and superior resolution. I am actually quite surprised Sony hasnt used this idea so far. Bump on a top or bottom edge is not an issue and remember satio? My god that was a picture quality there... unmatached so far if you ask me... xenon flash, superior sensor, i never minded the 12mm bump. It was a nice one to hold. now with the periscope optics from T range cybershots you can easily built it into something like 10-11mm and make the rest of the body 7-8mm...
That is what i would love to have..
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-30 15:55
Why reinvent the wheel?

There really aren't many ways to out a large touchscreen with appropriately sized bezels together. The only real area for making a point of difference is the back and sides, which Sony does with omnibalance (sides are very very nice and quite unique) and did with arc (again very nice and unique).

Curved screens have been regarded as gimmicky when tried by other manufacturers. Bulging backs feel 'fat' in the hand and aren't really that ergonomic.

Other form-factors are inconvenient or inefficient.

I bring back my suggestion to Sony that they have two running clear design styles t once each line with identical specs just a different shell.

Imagine:
Xperia V-series: V3, V3C, V3 Ultra, V3 Tablet (maybe an arc shaped tablet isn't necessary, but it would be earth shatteringly cool)
Xperia Z-series: Z3, Z3C, Z3 Ultra, Z3 Tablet

Both series run with the same specifications but one has a distinct arc design and one the omnibalance design. It'll be important to match the series numbers to each other even if it means sight confusion in the beginning when reviews ask 'where was V1 and V2?', but the consumer will be given a clear choice and both choices are within the Sony family.

With the spec races slowing slightly this is the way the market will go (similar to the way feature phones were a 8 years ago). Same specs different cases like the W800/K750.

The processors in current handsets are already faster than most people need or indeed notice. Most people make their choices now on design, friend's opinions and the camera (which is increasingly less of a USP).

I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
bronxdude
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 15:59
how about the Xperia NXT (S,P,U) series? That one is really cool especially the LED strip.
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 16:27
Sony should definitely NOT have to identical series of phones, with slightly different designs. They will compete with each other and confuse the market.
Simplicity in the portfolio, is best.
Maximum 9 phones per year.

Z series - flagship series
S series - midrange series
M series - low range

Compact, standard and Ultra variants for each series.
Simple.

Common Design language for the three series.
Make the owners of the lower end models, feel like they own flagships. Compromise on internals only. Fit and finish shouldn't be identical, but still of a very high quality. Soft touch, HQ plastics in place of metal as needed.

As for the design language itself....let Sony work their magic. Arc design is pretty but overrated. Space is inefficiently used due to the shape. Convex shape is better because silicon can be stacked in a pyramid shape. Camera bump is a huge nono. If needed the design needs to make it look like it isn't there. Provide an illusion of thinness if the thickness of the phone needs to be increased to accommodate a larger camera sensor, battery etc.
The vacuous space left by a so-called arc design, can be filled with a few extra hundred mAh of battery capacity. Bigger battery is more important than reviving the arc-design ethos.
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2014-04-30 15:31 ]
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 16:33
bezelliness guys will moan like hell, if NXT comeback to life again

unless Sony can find new way to implement the transparent bar on device.
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 17:59

On 2014-04-30 11:59:44, amirprog wrote:
Fellows, milukugiuniu said in earlier page: "The designing of Xperia will change a bit for the 2nd half with the edge getting round." i don't know about you, but i trust him. it doesn't sound like an arc design, but more like z2 design with find 7 like top and bottom curves or like ben ling's z3 concept design which also looks pretty nice: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2725781 some people i read complain about the edges being too sharp so i guess sony is listening.
@razec
wb.
i think you missed that design rumor.

Yeah I missed this, thanks mate
10 years at Esato
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 18:52
Fully agree with XYZ, good post.

In other news, where is Xperia G (or whatever it will be called)?! Wasn't is certified in Indonesia a couple of weeks back? Sony has been slacking with their mid-ends recently
[ This Message was edited by: motvikt on 2014-04-30 17:54 ]
Wintermute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 19:17

On 2014-04-30 09:14:30, miromiromi wrote:
will also be the most fragile design ever

Not if it's sapphire.
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 19:42
Not sure if anyone has mention about Corning can make curve glass already

but I wonder if it suitable to fit it into arc-shape design?
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-04-30 19:56

On 2014-04-30 16:33:52, HxH wrote:
bezelliness guys will moan like hell, if NXT comeback to life again

unless Sony can find new way to implement the transparent bar on device.

Xperia SP seems the way!
I love its design! It has that sexy transparent bar at the bottom and the aluminium Corning!
Sexy
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-05-01 05:45
Some off topic news from SAR, Sony were about to announce A77 mark II (which I'm really eager to see ) and RX100-mark IIIlater this evening (8PM tokyo time) with XAVC-S video format like the video centric A7s, now I wonder if that format would ever come to an Xperia device?
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2014-05-01 08:29 ]
10 years at Esato
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 205206207 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic