Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung uses software tricks to inflate Note 3 benchmark scores

123  Next
Author Samsung uses software tricks to inflate Note 3 benchmark scores
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 18:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Samsung has reportedly implemented software tricks to artificially inflate the benchmark scores for its Galaxy Note 3 smartphone. Ars Technica noticed that the Note 3 outperforms LG's G2 by a wide margin, despite both devices being powered by the same 2.3GHz Snapdragon 800 processor, suggesting the company is continuing the overclocking strategy first observed with the Galaxy S4.

Renaming a popular benchmarking app eliminated the performance disparity, confirming that the device operates in a special mode only when running popular benchmarking apps. The optimized mode appears to prevent any of the processor cores from dropping down to the typical low-power idle mode, though the 20 percent jump in overall benchmark scores points to deeper optimizations such as overclocking.

Read more...
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 19:01
they cheat
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-01 19:17
For shame!
Esato's Expert Of The Year MMIX
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 19:57
My God! I'm shocked! Can't believe what I'm seeing
No, but seriously. Look at this thorough post by Arstechnica it clearly shows that when the system doesn't recognize benchmark app it caps the performance and if the same happens with games it means that this whole quad CPU isn't worth being called Quad CPU. I don't know what Samsung is thinking.

Before you start defending their decision, think about it this way. If the system activates all four cores only for benchmark apps what is the point of having quad core device? Don't start with the whole benchmarking is meant to determine max possible performance or things like that. They are trying to prove that they are the fastest by making them run at full throttle even if in normal usage you'll never get access to this performance.

Bravo Samsung for showing how honest you are

P.S.
No, I'm not fanboy, I just don't like cheating. If in near future it'll turn out that Sony or HTC is using the same technique I'll say the same thing I'm saying now. So don't start this whole silly fanboy war and just admit that samsung is fixing scores.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 20:17
Question to all Galaxy Note 3 users, does this upset you in anyway?
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 20:17
They pretended that they have done nothing wrong with s4, I would be more surprise if they dont do it again with note 3.
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 20:40

On 2013-10-01 20:17:16, Tsepz_GP wrote:

Nope, the Note 3 performs exellent I don't give a shit about Benchmarks, it is of no use to me. I can't see why it is a problem that they gave the phone a boost for benchmarking, even without this boost it still is on top. Another storm in a teacup, people are dying to punish Samsung coz' they can't tolerate their success.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 20:51

On 2013-10-01 20:40:10, rikken wrote:

On 2013-10-01 20:17:16, Tsepz_GP wrote:

Nope, the Note 3 performs exellent I don't give a shit about Benchmarks, it is of no use to me. I can't see why it is a problem that they gave the phone a boost for benchmarking, even without this boost it still is on top. Another storm in a teacup, people are dying to punish Samsung coz' they can't tolerate their success.

Thought as much, that's all I needed to know.

Cheers!
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2013-10-01 19:51 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 21:01
@rikken If I had a Note 3, I'd say the same thing. This is probably a part of Samsung's marketing strategy. A small part, but they want to cover everything to be safe on top of the market. They got busted, so what? They are on top, no other comes close. It would hardly affect their sales. Right now, this is hardly relevant as a lot of people had bought the Note 3 and a lot more would do. If this was HTC, it could mean the difference between life or death for the company.
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 21:09
Question to all Galaxy Note 3 users, does it upset you that your super fast sports car doesn't allow you to drive faster than 80 km/h unless your participating in a race?

Is anybody denying the fact that even without those 'cheats' note 3 turns out to be as fast as the rest of the devices? No.
It's about the principles, if the device is fast enough to be competitive why artificially boost the scores by 'taking the gloves off' and showing off?

And no it's not about punishing Samsung for their success, it's about showing them that that fact that they are the leading OEM doesn't give them right to manipulate the scores - typical buyer looks at the scores(oh wow it's the fastest device on the market) but then he get's home and sees that the UI stutters and it takes some time to load a page etc. (have a look at engadgets Note 10.1 2014 review and all those reviews that were less than thrilled with the way TouchWiz worked on S4), how's that fair?

Truth is that none of this probably matters for those that bought and are going to buy this device, after all it's Samsung and Note 3
(Yes, that was meant to be sarcastic)
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 21:46
Sounds like a combination of jealousy tinted with a lack of confidence in your choice of device ?
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 21:50

On 2013-10-01 21:46:46, etaab wrote:
Sounds like a combination of jealousy tinted with a lack of confidence in your choice of device ?

Great, you've just made me laugh my ass off
Thank you for making my day

If you don't see anything wrong with something like that than maybe next year samsung will put 16mpix sensor in S5 but include only 12mpix option
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 21:56
Well this is all a little deja-vu of a conversation which was aimed at discrediting Samsung which occurred in the S4 thread, which as always proved nothing and was jumped upon by the usual suspects as a very weak argument.

Rather than having the same conversation, maybe you should go check it out and be educated.
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:03
I would be far more pissed of at Sony for always promising great displays and the best of cameras and not delievering

About the benchmarks: please try to replicate 0-60 on a company published car. Their tests have been done under ideal conditions for best possible results.
[ This Message was edited by: rikken on 2013-10-01 21:09 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:06
Heh I was just thinking the same thing. I bought a new car recently and find it slower than my old car 0-60, even though it has a bigger engine. Mind you, going from a medium sized car to a family sized car means it weighs more.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi