Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Xperia Z1

Previous  123 ... 155156157 ... 369370371  Next
Author Sony Xperia Z1
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 07:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
miromiromi: You have heard that the Z1 launched without its final camera software, right? It's telling that even without final camera software the camera is already quite good. It looks like we won't know how good it can be until next month. In case you'd like some sort of evidence, here's a post by zomg earlier this month

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80099241&postcount=82

As for why launch with incomplete software? Sony has had a market perception of being late to the game when it comes to launching smartphones. They're trying to turn that around and considering the Z Ultra was the first phone from a major brand with S800, it looks like they're succeeding. Still, technology and progress take time no matter how much you want to rush it. The phone had to be out now to be competitive with all the other companies, and the software it's launching with is "good enough" for 95%+ of people out there who don't pixel peep. Now the rest of us wait until next month for the proper camera software and see just how good this camera is.

moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-25 07:50
@miromiro - i hope i can maximize the camera's potential at its current software version! I will definitely take a ton of pics to get a feel for what it can do and how I can get the best results. This is true for any new camera, I think. Most likely, the majority of the photo samples will be posted next week, as I'm still pretty swamped with work this week

@vivftp - indeed there's been lots of talk about a real "final" software being released in a month from announcement (next week), but we can only judge on what currently exists. As it stands, Sony has already released TWO updates for the Z1 (though they seem to only be in Asia..) which undoubtedly were to fix minor bugs (headphone issue) with no real upgrades. I certainly HOPE to have a more "final" camera software in an update in the coming weeks, but I am not holding my breath. I ordered my Z1 based on what I've seen, not on the hopes of what might come. If it improves in the future, then that's all the better! But until then, it's just a rumor. No disrespect to any insiders on esato - but as we all know, nothing is official until it's.. well.. official Of course, based on Sony's track record, they do tend to improve the camera with software updates. That's always a good sign.

btw, my Z1 arrived in the country 20 minutes ago! Another 8 hours and it will be at my door as long as there are no customs/FCC issues that delay it..
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-09-25 06:57 ]
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
monkeypantz
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 07:59
Where did you order from Moogoo? If there was a FCC issue they should have contacted you already. Fedex told me if there ar papers missing when the package leaves the origin country they will contact the receiver at the same moment so I am pretty sure you will be fine!

moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-25 08:04
^I ordered from Handtec. Ordered Friday night, Verified ID Monday, Shipped Tuesday, Arrives Today by 1030am. I'm sort of worried FEDEX will arrive really early (like 7am) and I won't hear the door! I have a hard enough time hearing the door when I'm on the second level to begin with.. Hope I don't miss it.

Well, I haven't received any calls.. but it's also the middle of the night. Maybe they are waiting til 8am or something to call. Who knows. Hopefully, it arrives with no delay.

moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
monkeypantz
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 08:10
When I called FedEx earlier they said I could make a note in my online tracking panel to leave the package at the frontodoor and/or leave my signature attached to the door. Or you just get up early
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-25 08:14
Word. It's going through customs now..

-- yes i am stalking it via tracking --
moogoo
monkeypantz
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 08:16
I really wonder why there arent any duties on smartphones ? its strange , not that i am complaining
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 08:17
Listened to the Verge Mobile Show... yeah, with Vlad writing that review the Z1 isn't going to do all that well. Calling it now, 7.5/10 from Verge once the review comes out.
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 08:41
What's really surprising is audio quality in Z1 video, very good indeed. As for zoom in video forget about it, Z1 stabilization is just like on computer software, it crops the video to stabilize it, that requires a lot of computing in real time, hence no 1080p@60fps and no real zoom.

They could do that when stabilization is off, but looks like Sony don't want to underline software stabilization cons with it This is where OIS would shine.
[ This Message was edited by: admad on 2013-09-25 07:42 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-25 08:47
and there it is... status: DELAYED..

i guess they are either contacting handtec or waiting to contact me. Weird that FEDEX is the only one doing this while DHL isn't. Maybe Clove is providing information Handtec isn't? who knows.. As a company who regularly deals with international customers, you'd think Handtec would have this sorted out for a flawless experience.

Unless this gets sorted quick, doesn't seem like I'll be getting my Z1 on time.. It's only 12 miles away.. yet so, so far.

EDIT: so, i got impatient and called FEDEX, thinking they were just waiting to call me in the morning to fill out a FCC 740 form. Turns out they want more detailed information as to the package contents and itemized listing of everything with their value. Apparently, whatever Handtec gave them wasn't good enough. Tsk tsk Handtec.. Sounds like depending on where it arrives, customs is strict or not strict. Hopefully, it get sorted soon so I still get my package on time! Won't hold my breath cause I'm not that lucky. I think I should have ordered from Clove. Seems like DHL has no issues whatsoever or Clove is just better at the whole importing thing than Handtec is.
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-09-25 07:58 ]
moogoo
monkeypantz
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 09:01
Sorry to hear that!.

Maybe you can give them a call, because by the time handtec will answer ( time difference to UK ) there might be another day delay on top that you could possibly avoid.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-25 09:08
@monkeypantz - i did call. they weren't looking for FCC information. They wanted itemized list of contents and value of each. She started listing all sorts of stuff and i'm thinking.. "isn't it just a phone?". So I told her it's probably best to get the info from the shipper (Handtec). Handtec should be 5 hours ahead. they don't start business til 10am their time though.. lazy asses. After i take a few hours nap, I'll find out if it's continuing to my door or if it's delayed some more. Oh well, if it gets delayed a day it's not a big deal. I don't really have a whole lot of time to play with it cause of work, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

BTW..

I just came across this site.. maybe some of you already know it. it does simple spec comparisons between devices to help you shop for the best one for you. The iphone 5s one is funny, imho. Needless to say, Z1 wins (on paper at least) against all its top competitors. Of course, we knew that already. This site is just for fun. Clearly, their spec list isn't comprehensive. Still neat

http://geekaphone.com/compare[....]peria-Z1-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S-4

http://geekaphone.com/compare[....]ia-Z1-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3

http://geekaphone.com/compare[....]ria-Z1-vs-Apple-iPhone-5s-16GB

http://geekaphone.com/compare/Sony-Xperia-Z1-vs-HTC-One

@admad - 1080p@60fps even with digital/electronic image stabilization is possible. There are many examples of it in the camera industry. 1080p is just a 2mp image, so processing it shouldn't be a problem if it can easily burst 31 frames a second at 8mp. If they can use x-reality to process every pixel of every frame of a 1080p movie to enhance it in a multitude of ways, it would follow that they can easily "stabilize" a 1080p video at 60fps. Possibly implement some lossless zoom too (not sure on this one). So, it really is just a software update they can do later. Of course, CAN DO, doesn't always mean WILL DO
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-09-25 08:36 ]
moogoo
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 09:52
photo comparisons again...

http://smartmania.cz/clanky/s[....]galaxy-note-3-a-xperia-z1-5781

lg g2 vs lumia 1020 vs note 3 vs z1

translated review:
Social networks are often the absolute winner guessed Nokia Lumia 1020. It is true that the quality of the photos is very good, but on the heels of her pedaling Xperia Z1 and a close second is the LG G2. In some cases Xperia Z1 even bought a slightly sharper image than 41Mpx Lumia. When shooting it always depends on how the camera evaluates the scene being shot - all four phones we therefore used the automatic mode. In the case of Lumie 1020 resulting images are saved in 5 megapixel resolution, the Xperia Z1 automatic captures images at a resolution of only 8MPx (the other is the need to switch to manual mode), the LG G2 we took the initial 10 megapixels and Note 3 to the starting 6Mpx.

[ This Message was edited by: miromiromi on 2013-09-25 08:54 ]
Hatseflats
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 09:56
Quick question to Z1 owners; while recording video it sometimes briefly stutters? So during playback you see that. I have had it now on several occasions. I'm using a microSD card to store it (http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/microsd/ultra-class10-with-adapter/). Any of you have had the same problem?
[ This Message was edited by: Hatseflats on 2013-09-25 08:57 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-25 09:59
@miromiro - strange. from the sound of that conclusion, they put the note 3 last. it seemed to do better than the G2. *shrug*

I hope Sony implements Hi-Res Sweep Panorama and Intelligent Sweep Panorama in future updates. That'd be great!!! Hi-Res panorama capability is definitely a MISSING feature.
moogoo
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 155156157 ... 369370371  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic