Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Should we replace "phone" into "mobile" in the shootout?

123  Next
Author Should we replace "phone" into "mobile" in the shootout?
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-02 18:39
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello my friends, I want to talk about the future of Esato's phone cam competition.
Recently we discussed the voting system and decided to stay with one-vote one-point.

Time moves on and technology runs even faster forward as ever. The competition is running for more than five years now and the 2 megapixel cams from 2008 have become secondary front-cams. Lots of you have an iPad or tablet now and as long as you have an internet connection you don't even have to use your phone anymore. You can use Skype for calls, Facebook for text chats and some have a camera that is very well capable of taking a decent picture.

For capturing better photos there are special lenses on the market, iPhone has a kit just like the one that you could buy for 800 many years ago. they act like a zoom only.

Now there are lenses that are self sufficient, they only need a screen to see what what you are about to frame.

My question is:
Should we allow this in the competition?
Where do we draw the line?
How to verify no-one is cheating?

Please think about this. I'm open for all suggestions. Go crazy
9_Destiny
HTC One
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-02 19:19
In my opinion its bad idea. I had Samsung Galaxy Camara for a while and I know that such kind of equipment gives big advantage in comparison to mobile phones. Soon there might be more of such products made by Sony, Samsung, Nikon and Canon. Im looking forward for opposite arguments, but for now Im saying No
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2013-09-02 19:25
I say do what's always been done, pictures taken with a mobile phone and no lenses allowed
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2013-09-02 20:30
I agree with 9_Destiny and Rikken, for now, these devices shouldn't be allowed to take part in the competition, maybe we can reconsider this in a year or so, but not yet.
The extra lens for the W800i was only a zoom, but the new Sony lenses have their own sensor, so then it's not the phone anymore, that takes the picture, imo.

Don't know how to discover, if anyone has been cheating, with one of these lenses, I guess, we"ll have to wait, till the first photos, taken with those lenses, turn up in the photo section, to see, whether it shows in the exif data, or not.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
emporium
Sony Xperia V
PM
Posted: 2013-09-02 20:50

[ This Message was edited by: emporium on 2013-11-03 13:44 ]
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2013-09-02 20:55
Oh yeah, forgot about the tablets , wouldn't mind them either, as they take the photo the same way, the phone does, they're only larger.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-02 21:13
A handheld communication device. No extras. Real photos only.
I like that. Let's continue.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-09-02 22:02
Not much of a photographer or much of a camera phone enthusiast but what've always liked about the Camera phone competitions here throughout the years is the users pushing to get the very best out of their phones little cameras, seeing competitors entering with SE K750s, W800s, W810s, K800s, Nokia N73s, N95s, N82s, Pixon12s, LG Arenas to the latest Htc Ones, Galaxy S4s, Lumia 920s, Nexus 4s, iPhone5s etc... Is awesome and I think we should keep it like that and I do agree that tablets should be allowed to.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2013-09-02 21:02 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2013-09-02 22:12
Let tablets enter the game
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2013-09-02 23:04
I'm almost inclined to say that if the device does not have a "DIALABLE" phone number attached, it does not quality for the competition. That I believe is the only way to future-proof this topic... especially considering how the lines are being blurred lately between cameras, phones, GPS units and tablets. It's not broke so why fix it?

If there are that many users saying they don't enter because they only have a tablet, then may I suggest a "monthly Tablet shootout"?

***Edit***
Oh, and just to be clear (because I already see it coming) SKYPE & Google Voice / etc DON'T count as a dialable number... it must be an actual phone that can place and receive calls without the assistance of wifi or other undetermined means.
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2013-09-02 22:07 ]
[addsig]
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-02 23:11
I think that tablets should be allowed in the competition.
I have a mobile internet device (MID) that's not just a phone.
So what about phablets?
And a big NO to that lens sensor packages stuff.
You can egattach a lens accesory that will only improve on what you've imagined, not to ruin the shot.

Just my 2 cents.
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-03 05:57
I'm not trying to fix something that ain't broken. Just maintaing the quality.
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-09-03 06:18
My opinion, to keep competition fair:

no accessories allowed (external clip on lenses are prohibited, as well as the upcoming sensor on lens tech)
no photo post processing allowed (photoshop, android app, ios app, windows phone app are prohibited)
Exif must be intact, image must be original straight from the cameraphone or tablet.

I believe a tablet's built in camera is fine, they are in the same league as phone cameras in terms of specifications so competition will still be fair, and will all come down to the skill of the photographer, which is what the esato competition is about, apart from participating in the esato community
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2013-09-03 05:19 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-03 08:05
I think most people here are in agreeance.

Tablets - yes
Accessories (ranging from 'clip-on' to 'sensor + lens') - no

I think there should be a line drawn somewhere on the in-camera effects too. The software effects that are applied before actual photo capture e.g. on Xperia Z there are a number of filters that aren't standard, things like kaleidoscope, sketch, Harris shutter. I felt a little guilty using these in one or two recent entries. Not guilty enough to not post the pics as they are within the current rules, but guilty enough to question myself and the nature of the competition.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-09-03 12:18
no photo post processing allowed (photoshop, android app, ios app, windows phone app are prohibited)

Wait that's just too rigid imho, what about BW/Sepia conversion? what if a certain cameraphone does not have a built in feature for monochrome photography? and suddenly a new theme calls for users to do BW. and that certain guy who wishes to join just couldn't do anything about it?
10 years at Esato
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi