Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia PCSuite Bluetooth Petition - Disappointed by Nokia?

12  Next
Author Nokia PCSuite Bluetooth Petition - Disappointed by Nokia?
NIletter
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2003-02-18 01:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Dear All,

As many users of the Nokia PCSuite are aware, currently Nokia International only support the Socket Communications range of Bluetooth connection devices, and it is has been stated by Nokia that they have no intention of extending the software to support additional devices, and this means that those such as myself that have purchased a Nokia Mobile Phone ( Such as the 6310i ) with the hope of syncing it with the their address book or other software on their personal computer are finding that they have just wasted a lot of money ON THE PHONE as well as the bluetooth communication device.

It is my intention to get Nokia to be aware of how much they are infuriating their consumers, especially when compared to how well the competion (Ericisson T68i) can cope with these USB dongles, and have therefore created an online petition to which I hope those affected by this rather short sightedness will add their names in an attempt to raise the urgency of this problem to Nokia International.

I thank you for your time, and hope you will spend the time to sign the
petition here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/niletter/petition.html

Yours Sincerely,

Tim Pickering

[ This Message was edited by: NIletter on 2003-02-18 00:39 ]
shithappens
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-02-18 05:03
won't be the 1st time nor would it be the last...nokia simply does not listen to the customers....sometimes i feel they think their phones are god's gift to users and that's where they are terribly wrong....i'll sign the petition......

there....it's done.....

[ This Message was edited by: shithappens on 2003-02-18 04:07 ]
NIletter
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2003-02-18 15:16
Quick Update:

I don't think it just effects the 6310i, but ANY nokia phone with bluetooth- including and not limited to:

9210, 6210, 3650, 6650, 8910 and 8910i.

And the biggest problem is the first time you find out you have an issue is at the dreaded:

Operation Failed(Error Code 8004320A)

after purchasing the hardware!

Yours,

Tim Pickering
shithappens
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-02-20 07:35
hmmm...guess not many ppl are that interested after all....how many petitions u got mate?
True Bravery is arriving home late after a boys' nite out, wife waiting with the broom & u ask: "Are u still cleaning or are u flying somewhere"
jomni1
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-02-20 07:43
switch to sony ericsson...

This message was posted from a P800

sonyericsson
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-02-20 08:11
frankly speaking, i will not sign because it is just plain wasting the time.

i am sorry to say. If you use nokia, u just have to accept what nokia phone behave.

It is just like that. Anyway, most nokia user dun really mind about the limitation.

Cheers

All the best on your petition.
2003BC
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-02-28 15:14
I recently bought an 8910 - my 7th Nokia since I swore I wouldn't buy anything else. Ericsson phones used to SUCK but Sony has done a lot for their phones and some of the new ones kick ass.

I have had the same problem as mentioned above with connecting my phone to a USB adapter.

Forcing people to buy expensive, proprietry hardware is not a good marketing plan (ask IBM). Due to the 'restrictions' deliberately written into PC Suite, it is not possible to connect the phone to many non-Nokia products. In most cases, Nokia themselves don't even sell an alternative product.

They also do not answer any emails on the subject and give very vague answers over the phone. I have wasted far too many hours trying to find some sort of work-around so I give up.

If Nokia don't sort this mess out, I'm going to buy an Ericsson.

(I never thought I'd hear myself say that)
playa_boy
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-11 16:39
No more Nokia for me.
shithappens
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-03-12 05:32
atta boy....
True Bravery is arriving home late after a boys' nite out, wife waiting with the broom & u ask: "Are u still cleaning or are u flying somewhere"
dah
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-03-25 15:06
Quote:

Due to the 'restrictions' deliberately written into PC Suite, it is not possible to connect the phone to many non-Nokia products.

I don't think it's deliberate restrictions. It looks like the PC-Suite just doesn't cope with USB Bluetooth adaptors (apparently it's to do with virtual COM ports on the USB). It seems that any PCMCIA card ought to work - certainly I know people who've used a TDK one successfully and Orange Customer Services will give support for this card. (It's available at amazon for £72.94 - more expensive than the USB adaptors).

Worth also mentioning that the USB Bluetooth adaptors can be used to set up a Bluetooth connection to the 6310i for e-mail and internet access over GPRS.
phylhamlyn
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-03-29 20:14
Has there been a reply from Nokia about the petition?

Phil
tomk
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-03-31 14:18
Quote:

It seems that any PCMCIA card ought to work...

You'd think, wouldn't you? Bluetooth being an open standard and all. It seems Nokia don't see it that way though - My 3Com PC card talks very well to my Clie, but not to my 6310.
raboliot
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-03-31 15:31
Dear all,

I am owner of a 6310 and a cheap bluetooth device.
Im disapointed about nokia who wants us to buy nokia devices.
I have decided to do some reverse engineering with PCsuite to disable the "famous" error caused with non-nokia bluetooth devices.

If anyone have some information about hardware/software of Nokia it would be helpfull.

I will post my work on this board.

Raboliot.
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-04-02 12:13
This whole thread and this "petition" smells a little funny to me. Don't know much about the N6310i and it's BT capabilities, but what I do know is that the N7650 works just fine with just about any BT USB adapter using PC-Suite.

I've used a 7650 myself with a cheap Billionton USB adapter without any major problems(taken into consideration that BT is still not a very stable standard), and I know alot of other 7650 owners who use BT with various non-Nokia BT USB adapters or pc cards.

So this "proprietary" thing that you all are talking about makes no sence to me..
carpe noctem
pdc777
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-04-03 12:50
I also have this problem .... TDK 'go blue' PCMCIA to Nokia 6310i ....

hopefully not for much longer .....

it would appear Nokia are addressing this problem .....

see the site below ....

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?s=1dc3b70a1cac58be7d183c7aae9887bc&threadid=18186

cheers
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi