Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Blackberry > BlackBerry Demonstrates New Mobile Computing Service for Automakers

Author BlackBerry Demonstrates New Mobile Computing Service for Automakers
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-07 03:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
BlackBerry Demonstrates New Mobile Computing Service for Automakers
source of press release

New “Over-the-air” service delivers wireless software update and management capabilities to automakers.

BlackBerry has entered the lucrative Machine-to-Machine (M2M) business. I knew this would happen and even blogged about it back in February titled RIM – BB10 True End-Game is QNX & NOC! (shameless blog plug).

Jun 5, 2013,
Telematics Detroit Conference, Novi, MI – Today, at the Telematics Detroit conference, BlackBerry® (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB) will preview a new solution for automakers that lets them manage and deliver “Over-the-air” (OTA) software updates to vehicles. Leveraging BlackBerry’s existing global and secure infrastructure, which today delivers software updates to millions of BlackBerry devices around the world, the Software Update Management for Automotive service facilitates machine-to-machine (M2M) communication directly between the automaker and the vehicle, allowing the automaker to easily provide software updates to vehicles in the field.

“BlackBerry is helping facilitate a rapid convergence between mobile computing and the auto industry as automakers seek to connect with customers wherever they may be,” said David J. Smith, Executive Vice President, Enterprise Mobile Computing at BlackBerry. “At Telematics Detroit we are previewing how BlackBerry can help automakers connect with customers, solving the complex and difficult task that automakers face when they have a software update for the vehicles they’ve made. BlackBerry’s Software Update Management for Automotive service can transform the vehicle experience by enabling automakers to deliver new, compelling capabilities to their customers, long after the initial sale.”

Vehicles have more computing power than ever before with complex environments equipped with dozens of electronic control units (ECUs) as well as sophisticated in-vehicle infotainment systems that can provide everything from 3D navigation to smartphone connectivity. The vehicle’s built-in software is an important component of the automotive experience, and software updates can refresh a vehicle with new features and services as they become available. With BlackBerry’s new Software Update Management for Automotive service, automakers can easily, securely and cost effectively manage and deliver software updates.

“According to a study Gartner did with U.S. vehicle owners in 2012(1), 40 percent of all U.S. vehicle owners either ‘definitely want to get’ or at least are ‘likely to get’ the ability for wireless software updates in their next new vehicle – making it the third most demanded automotive-centric Web application and function,” said Thilo Koslowski, Vice President, Distinguished Analyst, Gartner.

Through BlackBerry’s OTA service, which provides secure global distribution and is highly scalable to support millions of vehicles, automakers can deliver a number of new capabilities to customers, including software updates, new applications, and the ability to get the status of functional systems in a vehicle.

The development of OTA services is part of BlackBerry’s broader mobile computing strategy. BlackBerry is providing the foundation for a new era of mobile computing by connecting mobile end points securely and creating opportunities for community building, connecting and sharing.

More details about the BlackBerry's OTA solutions will made available in the coming months. For more information, please visit http://www.blackberry.com/m2m.

About BlackBerry

A global leader in wireless innovation, BlackBerry® revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims to inspire the success of our millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. BlackBerry is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ: BBRY) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: BB). For more information, visit http://www.blackberry.com

1 Gartner “U.S. Consumer Vehicle ICT Study: Web-Based Features Continue to Rise”, December 13, 2012.

If anyone not a fan of BlackBerry thought their partnership with Petronas Mercedes-AMG in F1 was a waste of finances and a sad hope of a return on advertising should think again. What better test bed for car telemtry, schematic feedback on (fuel, tire wear/pressure/traction, gear synchro wear and effectiveness, speed and driver adaptation during the course event, etc) than in a F1 car? Yes its a closed circuit but the need for effective reporting, updates, etc is paramount in milliseconds! And to be reliable and secure is second to none. Now using BlackBerry's Network Operations Centre (NOC) based in Canada - not just in Waterloo I might add - along with service provider agreements also using secure APN's for deliver/feedback on our cars ... you can think a little more of where BlackBerry is going.

This commercial was made BlackBerry as a think tank of possibilities roughly 3 years ago, which predated the RIM to BlackBerry name change and just after the CO-CEO shake-up yet both former CEO's still on the board of directors at that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?[....]=player_embedded&v=wY9AzUfSdKU

What do you all think of this?
[ This Message was edited by: Hardened on 2013-06-07 04:19 ]
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-07 03:49
FYI ... if the link for BlackBerry M2M in the press release fails, here is the direct link.
http://global.blackberry.com/[....]ness/automotive-solutions.html

More: PDF documentation.

A comparison of Protocols for Device Management and Software Updates.

Software Update Management for Automotive.

Security Overview: Software Update Management for Automotive.

Cheers.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-08 18:31
I'm surprised that nobody is even remotely interested nor curious about this and what it means for the mobile industry. Hmmm.

Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-06-09 01:08
Interesting no doubt. When's the earliest we can see this implemented in cars on a wide scale?
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-09 07:01

On 2013-06-09 01:08:59, Away wrote:
Interesting no doubt. When's the earliest we can see this implemented in cars on a wide scale?

That is the killer question! No doubt that Mercedes will be rolling this out if they're not already testing - an executive was present at BlackBerry Live 2013 on May 14th on stage and briefly discussed this type of business, so we'll see.

The key to understand is this does not compete with infotainment choices by manufacturers like Apple's Siri implementation used in 2014 BMW's (just announced). This is for management of the entire cars' MMI, Sensors, etc. Recalls of cars will be less wide spread, less costly, and well more efficient.

PS: no battery pull is required, lol, and major updates will be prompted before downloads or implemented from what I've read in the documentation notes.

For trains this becomes more powerful. Burlington-Northern Santa-Fe (BNSF) has "Train Masters" that can remote control trains within a train yard which is a VERY impressive feat in-and-of-itself to be quite honest. Now if we consider bullet trains ... tolerances of the track, payload, direction avoidance of collisions, arrival time optimization, etc can be boosted, amongst many other things that I cannot even consider to understand. Solar, Wind, and Water Power grids would benefit as well. Rogers Wireless (Canada), AT&T (USA) and a few other wireless providers already have M2M business for Home Security, so there is one possible vertical market which is very lucrative.

RIM has already demonstrated an HTML5 app for accessing telemetry on the Bentley Continental prototype back in January and have an app similar to this for Android in testing since April this year for another car, but this business is not for handsets or direct interfacing. We'll see how this plays out but you can be assured M2M 2.0 is going to be big business. Sony has a different direction for their M2M play and we'll be hearing a LOT more of it this year.

Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-06-09 13:51
So if Lenovo had bought the hardware division of BlackBerry a few months ago, this would have been RIM's main business going forward?
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-11 19:06

On 2013-06-09 13:51:40, Away wrote:
So if Lenovo had bought the hardware division of BlackBerry a few months ago, this would have been RIM's main business going forward?

Lenovo never had any discussions with BlackBerry. BlackBerry confirmed the lies, publicly although there were wiling to come to the table to see what was in their cards. Lenovo's CEO interest was not in hardware manufacturing (they have enough plants of their own and make mobiles for the chinese market), their interest was in service provider partnerships, established/secure/reliable gateways, BlackBerry's (RIM's) NOC - network operations center, and for QNX's expertise and business model and clients. HUGE $$ especially now since this M2M news has come to light. Sony has a similar M2M business model but their going wide with theirs, not specific as of yet.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi