Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia no longer the top dog in Finland; Samsung smiles

12  Next
Author Nokia no longer the top dog in Finland; Samsung smiles
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-05-29 17:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The International Data Corporation (IDC) revealed in recent figures that Nokia has lost its spot as Finland’s top mobile phone seller. Samsung has pulled into first place with its 36.1% market share, while Nokia currently sits in second place with 33.6%. Last year, Nokia controlled a strong 48% compared to Samsung’s 28%.

A research director at the IDC sat down with The Wall Street Journal to discuss the astonishing market drop for Nokia; the company stated that Nokia’s sales are almost a 50/50 split of smartphones and “dumbphones”. This data is in contrast to Samsung who pushes smartphones at a unit rate of 80%.

It should be noted that Nokia is introducing low priced phones such as the Asha 501 that draw a thin line between smartphones and their lesser counterparts; this might cause some confusion as to recent smartphone statistics for Nokia.

Despite Nokia losing their own domestic market, the company did have record breaking sales for its Lumia smartphones in Q1; the company’s Windows Phones are picking up sales in European markets, but struggling in the US market.

Do you think this is a devastating loss for Nokia or just a hiccup?

http://www.wpcentral.com/noki[....]top-dog-finland-samsung-smiles
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-05-29 21:06
That is pretty incredible, I'm surprised as I thought the Fins would be loyal to Nokia but at the same time I guess it was bound to happen with Samsung's aggressive push globally.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2013-05-29 22:06
Fins would be loyal to real Nokia, not this Microsoft-Nokia crappy partnership
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2013-05-29 22:35
This is what you get for selling your HQ and closing your domestic factories.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-05-29 23:28
@admad so you reckon Finnish people are still buying Symbian or Asha phones?? As for Windows phone it's been brilliant IMO with cracking phones from Nokia. The problem is Microsoft who are so laid back they would fall off their office chairs. Nokia has made WP what it is and made it to 3rd place. Nokia is doing all the work lately sorting problems out unlike MS. I have not seen a drop in quality since Nokia phone were made in China. Their factories in Finland,Germany and Hungary were only sold due to having to make cuts like many other manufacturers have had to. WP is growing though not as fast as they'd like but it's is growing

Sony Xperia P
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2013-05-29 22:28 ]
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2013-05-30 01:04
Well yeah, Nokia is the only reason why Windows Phone is still in market, but it's pulling Nokia down real hard. Windows Phone is a fail, no matter how You look at it. It might be getting better, but it's still limited after 3 years of market presence, not to mention its roots go back to 2003.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-05-30 03:04

On 2013-05-29 22:06:48, admad wrote:
Fins would be loyal to real Nokia, not this Microsoft-Nokia crappy partnership

Last year I'd agree with you 100% but I'm not sure that even Symbian, real powerful Symbian S60 phones are made by Nokia any longer (nothing really new)?? I know they would if the OS was evolved just a bit more with more powerful apps to go with it.

On 2013-05-30 01:04:11, admad wrote:
Well yeah, Nokia is the only reason why Windows Phone is still in market, but it's pulling Nokia down real hard. Windows Phone is a fail, no matter how You look at it. It might be getting better, but it's still limited after 3 years of market presence, not to mention its roots go back to 2003.

INDEED! However I personally feel that its not Microsoft as a whole ... but Balmer, Biofore and a few others that are so damn FAT (financially) and SLOW (designing, implementation, evolving the OS, and taking fresh new design teams) to advance Windows Phone.

I'd like to see Nokia, or even Microsoft license the BB10 kernel (QNX) and then mold it to their own infrastructure, strengths in Office/Windows/365 Office and come up with something VERY powerful and versatile. Microsoft wasted 2 yrs to evolve from single CPU's - and yet the OS on WP7/7.1 was SLoooow on that architecture - to evolve into dual cpu's.

Balmer ... NEEDS ... TO ... GO! Or take a back chair and let someone else be the front man/scapegoat.

|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-05-30 03:36
I think so does Elop. Have noticed on some videos the 808 model saying Made in China on some. Made me think why didn't Elop appear at the recent launch of the Lumia 925??

Sony Xperia P
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2013-05-30 02:40 ]
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-01 17:00
Nokia already damaged what could be damaged.
To fire so many people...It's just ridicolous.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-06-01 17:26
Huh,and this happened also with Sony etc and some others not just Nokia
Phone?? What phone??
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-01 17:47
But why made in China?
The quality may be good but nothing is made in Finland anymore.
[ This Message was edited by: alenn on 2013-06-01 16:49 ]
titus1
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-01 18:15
There were times people are looking for a Finland-made Nokias. For they thought the ones made in China are copy-cats.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-06-01 18:15
Because like all other manufacturers they wanted to save money,cheaper labour costs. They all do it now,Sony,Apple etc. Samsung top phones are made in Korea but some of their budget ones are from China.
Phone?? What phone??
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2013-06-01 18:16

On 2013-05-30 03:36:00, Bonovox wrote:
I think so does Elop. Have noticed on some videos the 808 model saying Made in China on some. Made me think why didn't Elop appear at the recent launch of the Lumia 925??

Elop is but a puppet. And a stupid one, too. He said that the reason the company chose Windows Phone is to be distinct in the market dominated by the Android OS. Even when Nokia was on a very bad status when he first stepped in, he took the chance to have a mobile phone company be "unique". Yeah, they did get what they wanted, and Nokia is gaining more because of the Lumias, but is it enough to bring them back to the top? Slowly but surely, their fanbase is starting to grow back, but how long till WP gets enough traction to overtake Android? If they went for Google's instead, they would have made the same "unique" distinction among other OEMs because of their focus on improving mobile phone cameras. They could have retained the look of Symbian that everyone loved but with much more functionality now. Their software team was the best in handling updates and their customer support is awesome. They would have a lot more support from independent developers from the Android world, too. They would have made much more money, and that could have made them grow much faster.
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-01 19:11
Nokia could have gone with Meego.
That's kinda logic and Nokia didn't do it.
Nuff said
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi