Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > BlackBerry Plans To Launch bbm Across Multiple Platforms This Summer

12  Next
Author BlackBerry Plans To Launch bbm Across Multiple Platforms This Summer
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-05-14 18:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This is official people! The real deal.
(I never thought this would happen)

PS: Another big announcement is BBM Channels, currently in Beta ... think FaceBook specific pages or google+ but on a mobile platform. Innovation.

BlackBerry Plans To Launch BBM Across Multiple Platforms This Summer!

f you’re already a fan of BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), we’ve got some exciting news designed to make it easier for you to connect with your entire mobile social network. BlackBerry plans to make BBM, our wildly popular mobile messaging service, available for the first time to iOS® and Android™ users this summer, (subject to approval by Google Play and the Apple App Store, as applicable). This means that, once available, you can welcome your friends and family using these other mobile platforms to connect over BBM and share in the Team BlackBerry love.

As we’ve chronicled on our Inside BlackBerry blog for some time now, BBM set the standard for mobile instant messaging with fast and reliable service and an added layer of engagement with delivered and read statuses. You’ve shared with us your stories about how BBM has kept you connected when it mattered most to you. Upon release of the multi-platform BBM service, you can broaden that real-time connection to friends and colleagues on other supported mobile platforms.

In the first version of multi-platform BBM, iOS and Android users are expected to be able to experience the following BBM features:

The immediacy of BBM chats
Multi-person chats
Voice note sharing
BlackBerry Groups, where BBM users are able to set up groups of up to 30 people and share calendar, photos, files and more
The team here at BlackBerry has definitely been working hard to bring the much-adored BBM experience to a wider group of mobile users. In a recent press release at BlackBerry Live 2013, Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President, Software Product Management and Ecosystem, at BlackBerry had this to say:

“For BlackBerry, messaging and collaboration are inseparable from the mobile experience, and the time is definitely right for BBM to become a multi-platform mobile service. BBM has always been one of the most engaging services for BlackBerry customers, enabling them to easily connect while maintaining a valued level of personal privacy. We’re excited to offer iOS and Android users the possibility to join the BBM community.”

BBM Quick Facts:
More than 60 million monthly active users
More than 51 million daily active users who are connecting with friends or colleagues an average of one and a half hours every day.
BBM users send and receive more than 10 billion messages each day, nearly twice as many messages per user per day as compared to other mobile messaging apps
Almost half of BBM messages are read within 20 seconds of being received; indicating how truly engaged BBM customers are
Today, BlackBerry also announced BBM Channels, a new social engagement platform within BBM that will allow customers to connect with the businesses, brands, celebrities and groups they are passionate about. BlackBerry plans to add support for BBM Channels as well as voice and video chatting for iOS and Android later this year, subject to approval by the Apple App Store and Google Play. If approved by Apple and Google, the BBM app will be available as a free download in the Apple® App StoreSM and Google Play store. Additional details about system requirements and availability will be announced closer to the launch.

That’s some pretty big news, indeed. Be sure to share your thoughts with us in the comments below, who will be the first person from your extended network that you introduce to BBM?
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-05-14 19:45
I didn't think of it either. The pressure from the others pushed them to this.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-05-14 21:06
This news would've excited me a year ago as back then most of my friends and acquaintances had Blackberrys, now though? Majority have Galaxy S3s, Notes, Galaxy Aces and iPhones, very few have BBs, those that do are looking exclusively at a Galaxy S4 or iPhone5 as their upgrade.

Anyway, it is a move in the right direction, and will have WhatsApp dropping their yearly charge.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-05-15 00:27

On 2013-05-14 21:06:44, Tsepz_GP wrote:
This news would've excited me a year ago as back then most of my friends and acquaintances had Blackberrys, now though? Majority have Galaxy S3s, Notes, Galaxy Aces and iPhones, very few have BBs, those that do are looking exclusively at a Galaxy S4 or iPhone5 as their upgrade.

Anyway, it is a move in the right direction, and will have WhatsApp dropping their yearly charge.

Well the initial launch will include:
BBM Chat,
BBM Groups - this is key because its not about a group chat here, its a Private Calendar, Private sharing of Photos, Video Voice Notes, Notes, etc.

The killer uptake here will be in emerging markets.

Especially near end of 2013 when:
BBM Voice,
BBM Video,
BBM Screen Share,
and,
BBM Channels debuts as well.

Thus far Channels is still growing in beta but its REALLY good!

Photo courtesy of TSepsz_GP,

Right now on CB 699 posts already on existing BB users going nuts some for some against the decision, some just so confused not sure what to think (I'm in this camp to be honest).

The key is that its free ... none of this Free for 12mths and then I screw you a dollar per month like WhatsApp. But we'll soon see how this works. WhatsApp also charges on some platforms now just to download the app and use it free for 1st year.
[ This Message was edited by: Hardened on 2013-05-14 23:30 ]
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-05-15 01:28
Yep, it will see great uptake in emerging markets like here in SA, where parents buy their kids BB's like the 9300, 9360s and 9380s to keep in touch at low rates, now the parents can use their iPhone/Android to BBM little Johnny at school.

This is going to be great for privacy, no more giving out your number and regretting it the next morning, now just give out your BBM pin and silently delete that person after happy days!

I can imagine some not being happy, maybe due to them buying BB's for BBM, guess it's down what you use your BB for.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2013-05-15 02:27
I am surprised that there has not been more discussions on here about this. BBM opening up seemed inevitable an now all the crazy-heads who bought BB's solely for the messenger have little reasons to stick to that. It was the only thing that BB had that I liked. It might kill sales
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-05-15 15:25
TSepsz_GP,

Well said insightful view! I haven't thought of that paradigm. I'm sure PIN won't be used on other platforms vs a BB ID, but that's how it most likely will work, the way you explained it.

The real kicker is having BlackBerry BBM Channels. Think of this as BBM+Twitter(without 140character limit)+Instagram(sharing of pictures & other media) created by end users and company's to share ideas. If you think it was great for people to submit their own media to news about issues in their community, watch this go viral on BBM Channels. Not to mention Voice Calls (free) and Video Calls and Screen Sharing across platforms. Hmm. There is no other IM on mobile that offers this universally.

On 2013-05-15 02:27:26, skblakee wrote:
I am surprised that there has not been more discussions on here about this. BBM opening up seemed inevitable an now all the crazy-heads who bought BB's solely for the messenger have little reasons to stick to that. It was the only thing that BB had that I liked. It might kill sales

I'm surprised as well. Then again until its available ... out of sight, out of mind, as the saying goes. We shall see what occurs this summer.
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-05-16 17:41
Next:
Nokia releases Nokia Maps to Android and iOS.
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-05-16 18:11
I would jump to BBM, Mainly because its more secure than whatsapp, viber, etc. But I hope they somehow drop the bb pin..

@alenn,
Nokia maps is already available for android and ios via nokia here
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-05-16 18:50
Didn't know that.
Thanks.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-05-17 01:36
Alenn,

Why do that? Common grow up a bit and contribute something relevant instead of taking the thread completely to something unrelated. You don't like BBM, or BlackBerry then berry it and move onto something you do like. nobody is forcing you to read this news nor use BBM on your platform of choice.

On 2013-05-16 18:11:01, djin wrote:
I would jump to BBM, Mainly because its more secure than whatsapp, viber, etc. But I hope they somehow drop the bb pin..

@alenn,
Nokia maps is already available for android and ios via nokia here

BBM no longer follows PIN ... BlackBerry uses BBID (an email and password you create) for the past 2yrs. Slowly migrating. Pin to PIN messaging still exists, and most likely always will for higher security and immediacy.

BlackBerry has had experience with other platforms in the past - namely with BlacKBerry Connect on UIQ and 1 S60 device. It lasted about 4yrs but never went to far because of so many limitations using a BB like experience, not an OS, on other devices. Since then their OS has been udpated 3 times, their new OS Kernel used in BB10 (a completely new OS from scratch), even their NOC has been completely updated - their entire server farm which is quite impressive to say the least (for a rough visual its 3x the size of University of Waterloo property, not just the campus or bldgs alone).

It's not just the security that may appeal to others but:
Shared Groups,
BBM Channels (end of 2013),
Sharing media content in Groups, or to members of a group individually (even though not on your BBM list)
Sharing Calendars to Group members, without polluting your personal calendar/business calendar - but entries are listed for reference outside of BBM (at least on BB its this way, other platforms may need to use BBM to see Group Calendar entries/listings).
BBM Voice (VOIP/LAN based calls over 3G/LTE or WLAN), FREE! (end of 2013)
BBM Video Calls (again over WiFi or LTE/HSPA/3G/EDGE), FREE! (end of 2013)
BBM ScreenShare (yes SHARE your screen to show off or explain stuff directly), FREE! (end of 2013)

Noticed why Google reacted with iOS/Android for unifying their Google+, Messenger (SMS), etc. Still doesn't compare.

skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2013-05-17 03:32
@ Hardened, how do you suppose that BB would benefit from this cross platform venture? Also is it a certainty that BBM on will remain as secure on the two new platforms? I am not doubting but asking.
iPad Air 16GB
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-05-17 05:06

On 2013-05-17 03:32:49, skblakee wrote:
@ Hardened, how do you suppose that BB would benefit from this cross platform venture? Also is it a certainty that BBM on will remain as secure on the two new platforms? I am not doubting but asking.

Dude you got me! I'm part of the camp that's saying "NooooooOOOooooo" LMAO.

The YES camp is negating others saying it's a knew-jerk reaction to holding a white flag to WhatsApp. It's really tough but with over 1200 posts across various threads heavily participated by long term BB fans ... this is what's being positively said:

BBM - great to have on all platforms to increase secured communications.
BB Groups still beast features in other cross platform data IM communicators.
(this includes BB Lync BTW).
BBM Channels (I'm currently using this and I'm VERY impressed - the benefit for BlackBerry is here via other company's for monetization).
WhatsApp charges a $1 after 12months for each month - another cost for what?! You get more free!
WhatsApp is NOT free initially on ALL platforms - strikingly odd.
WhatsApp doesn't allow you to keep your contacts (those NOT sourced from your address book) when you change phone numbers! Not for BB10 at least and I haven't tried on other platforms.
- My number was imported to my old workplace and as such when I left - they kept ownership. All my 30 contacts in WhatsApp did not transfer over when I moved to a new number and thus from iPhone 5 to Z10 back in March. My only option to get those people back is to use a BB6/7.1 device ... but guess what My Number is already changed so WhatsApp NEEDED me to use my OLD number first before being able to associate those contacts to migrate over. EVEN if the app was previously installed and included those 30 contacts on the old BB7.1 device I couldn't copy them over - not even write them down with a pen because WhatsApp recognized the new number in my SIM can BAM refreshed the list wiping all of them out. This will be MORE important when users change THEIR numbers and expect YOU to have it via them updating WhatsApp.

WhatsApp messages expire while in transit before recipient receives it. BBM does not - only when sending a file does it expire in 24hrs. The message does not. invites to groups, does not, sharing of media from groups, does not. SMS conversely expires in 72hrs REGARDLESS of your carrier either on the same or internationally sent or even if you're roaming ... SMS expires 72hrs if not received. Done.

The kicker ... BlackBerry CAN be using this to help in future goal of "mobile computing endpoints" as a line of secure communication, access and diagnostics etc. Remember BBM on BB10 now has Video/Voice Calling and ScreenSharing ... think further about a technician fixing something in you home appliance, or the entire home security or climate control system? What about your car getting a silent diagnostic ... if reported a major issue with fuel injection (that doesn't stop aka Nissan 300ZX Turbo back in the day kept accelerating), or major Brake Caliper operation issue that was discovered, then a tech from the car manufacturer can:
find out if your driving and a silent message alert you as critical.
attempt to voice/video call you (video when car is stopped for more than 5minutes say; so not at a stoplight)
attempt to repair at 3AM when car is shut down but the systems are in deep sleep standby ... if not repaired then a critical alert is sent to the car's onboard MMI system but also your smartphone with a link to launch the browser to fill in details or for Maps to launch to the nearest dealer if safe to make it there. Better yet how about a map launched with timing of arrival for loaner car with driver courtesy. Maybe to reschedule the time earlier/later that day/morning/evening/week.

BlackBerry is not playing around this time around. I cannot SEE how this move will be beneficial - I wish I could I'd have a mondo blog entry but I can't. I'm oldschool so I'm blind for a while in this regard.

SECURITY is a certainty on other platforms; you can be assured of that. And no you don't need a plan to use it; but considering how AT&T in the USA likes to gouge I would not be surprised if they did. iOS users feel it when FaceTime on their network is required, so why not the underdog that is hated, BlackBerry and their services lol.
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2013-05-17 05:44
Thanks hardened, I am not a BB fan but I could not figure out why they did this even though I wanted them to. As far as I can see there is no reason for me to buy a BB now. I went to a couple BB forums in the night after they made the announcement and saw how fast those threads expanded with many BB fans irate about it.

The wife has the Z10 which is nice but its just not appealing to me. Therefore as soon as the app is out I am going for it then continue on using it along side Whatsapp, Viber, FB messenger and see which does best.

I am baffled but happy the did it.
iPad Air 16GB
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-05-17 18:10

On 2013-05-17 05:44:44, skblakee wrote:
Thanks hardened, I am not a BB fan but I could not figure out why they did this even though I wanted them to. As far as I can see there is no reason for me to buy a BB now. I went to a couple BB forums in the night after they made the announcement and saw how fast those threads expanded with many BB fans irate about it.

The wife has the Z10 which is nice but its just not appealing to me. Therefore as soon as the app is out I am going for it then continue on using it along side Whatsapp, Viber, FB messenger and see which does best.

I am baffled but happy the did it.

Baffled as well here to be honest.

Getting interested into the BB10 by looking from a far or a few minutes won't do it for anyone. You have to really play with the phone, especially someone who knows it inside and out to show you how you'd do things based on what you use your phone for. After about an hour you begin to appreciate the efficiency and speed of using it; it may or may not appeal to you then.

BBM on other platforms, big move! The experience will differ as iOS/Android apps will not be synergistic with updating status, bbm invites, etc. For example with a settings enabled other BBM users know what tracks I'm listening to, if I'm playing a game, on the phone, watching youtube (not specifically but on youtube), games can invite others - it's been here long before Googles announcement yesterday, or iOS Game Centre (which I still find very lacking and only kids use).

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi