Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony's Problem In Mobile, Is Sony (a pretty phone is not enough)

12  Next
Author Sony's Problem In Mobile, Is Sony (a pretty phone is not enough)
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-03-19 08:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I was 13 years old when I bought my first Sony Walkman. Those were the days weren’t they? It was portable, affordable, and everything that it did, it did so well it never found true competition. I then followed with my first Sony Diskman, my first Sony WEGA Flat TV, my first Genezi Stereo system, and even if my first PDA wasn’t a Sony Clie (remember those?), it was a Clie that a friend owned what inspired me to buy my first Pocket PC.

Sony owned my wallet for at least the first half of my life. They had the design, the quality, the durability, and the reputation. It wasn’t cheap to own a Sony product, but it was worth every penny if you did. Back when Apple admired and copied Sony in every way and were still struggling to figure out what they wanted to sell, Sony was the BMW of electronics.

Do any of you remember the Sony Xperia X1? Oh man, I think one of our most epic moments in our origins of video was the moment Brandon unboxed it. We all said wow just as much as he did. The collaboration between Sony, HTC and Microsoft rendered one of the most iconic smartphones in Windows Mobile history. Sadly for Sony though, Apple had learned how to be Sony so well, that the iPhone simply devoured the X1 and even X2 from the spotlight.

The rest is sadly history. If you go to Europe you will see a fair share of Xperias every now and then, but it’s clear that Sony’s worst mistake was allowing Ericsson to handle their mobile division. I know there are still some of you die-hard Sony Ericsson fans who will disagree with me, so I’ll just use Android as an example. Remember the Xperia X10? Remember how it took for ever to launch in the US, and only to be served with Cup Cake at times when Froyo was already launched? And don’t even let me get started with its end-of-the-road with Eclair.

Fact of the matter is Sony Ericsson made too many mistakes with the Xperia. Whether it was Software updates, like the time they made us wait for delays and more delays with the Xperia S during the transition to Sony, or the fact that the hardware didn’t last at all, Sony’s big reputation for quality is just hard to see in their Xperia line-up.

What can we say about Sony’s 2013 line-up of Xperia devices? We’ve already reviewed the Xperia Z, but as I got the Xperia ZL for review last week, I’ve got a couple of thoughts of what’s good, and what’s bad. Please share your thoughts in the comments at the end as well.

Sony can’t be Sony to win in mobile
Sony Ericsson’s Xperia line-up had one good and two very bad things historically. On the positive side, Sony always did a great job in pushing hardware to the limit when it came to design, but they always ran last-year’s processor and last-year’s software. In a way, Sony has been that kind of company. They were rarely ever the first to get to any market, but where they attacked, they were always the best. They definitely used their brand to leverage their consumer appeal, and I’m sure it works for their TV and Stereo line-ups, but mobile is a different animal.

In mobile, brand will only get you so far, if not ask HP. With Android being non-exclusive to Sony, they can’t just decide to push a beautiful phone with Android 4.1.2 at times when the Galaxy S 4 will run Android 4.2.2 and we’ve already received confirmation of their Android 5.0 plans. It can’t stick to the Snapdragon S4 Pro when HTC already has the Snapdragon 600 on their HTC One. The Galaxy S 4 has Hexa-band LTE and Sony can’t even figure out how to get Penta-band 3G in all their variants of the Xperia Z if you noticed in our review. It doesn’t matter how big the Sony brand is, the Android consumer is an educated consumer. He or she won’t buy just for the design alone, but for the whole package of features. At times when Samsung doesn’t think twice about giving users replaceable everything, or HTC doesn’t think twice about pushing design techniques to the limit, or Apple doesn’t think twice about creating an ecosystem out of nothing, Sony’s brand, history and even their set of companies are really worthless. Yes, isn’t it an irony that Apple serves movies and music better than Sony who owns a movie studio and a record label.

What does Sony need to do? They need to forget about who they are, and begin to focus on whom they want to serve.

Sony’s Software department needs to ship-in or go home
One of Jelly Bean’s killer features was to allow you to re-arrange your widgets without having to remove things or resize things. Jelly Bean was designed to be smart about it for you. Try doing that on any of the current Xperia smartphones running Jelly Bean. As stupid as it may sound to you, Sony’s UI doesn’t allow you to.

Why oh why have they decided to break what didn’t need to be fixed? Call this stupid, but where’s the common sense in this change? Yes, I’ll admit that Sony has done a much better job in stripping down their customizations of Android with their new Xperia line-up, but sadly the software team didn’t seem to get the full memo of what Jelly Bean can do.

I think Sony would’ve been better off shipping their Xperias with Stock Android. Can you imagine a Nexus Z made by Sony? Waterproof design, great camera and all, it would’ve been an instant hit.

The bottom line
Imagine buying a beautiful BMW for a minute, and then open the doors to find yourself on non-leather interiors. Would you buy it? Even if it were a BMW, would you buy it if you knew that Audi would give you the full package for the same amount of money?

Sony did a smart move in going Android a couple of years ago, but I just don’t feel they’re bold enough to understand the Android customer. We don’t want brands we want power. We want beautiful design and we want it without compromise. We want an elegant experience with common-sense enhancements, and not arbitrary changes that simply don’t make sense. And more important, we don’t want excuses, because whatever Sony can’t satisfy, Samsung and HTC will.

I honor Sony’s designers for the Xperia Z and ZL. I can’t help but remind you all of how beautiful these two phones are, and how much I’m enjoying my experience reviewing the ZL from a hardware standpoint. Be it plastic if you want, but it’s the best plastic I’ve ever felt in my hand. A true 5-inch display that I can actually operate with one hand because of the minimum bezel. There’s seriously a lot of genius in this design. Sadly software is a different story, and Sony really needs to change their mobile strategy if they want to make a dent in everybody else’s universe.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/[....]+pocketnow+%28pocketnow.com%29

Powerful article by PocketNow, have to say, they have hit the nail on the head, and have also made me aware of things I had no idea about WRT the Z and the Sony Android UI. What do you guys think? It's not an attempt to bash Sony, but rather a look at why they are no longer successful and why they are not able to be the number one Android OEM.

Thanks to Sean for the link.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2013-03-19 08:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2013-03-19 08:42 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-03-19 09:57
Must say its a beautiful and spot on Article.SONY somehow has managed to be a tiny step behind the competition always.A tiny step that matters a lot.and its very disturbing to see them make silly mistakes even with their rich heritage!they have always missed out on small things that mattered.a built in 3.5mm jack comes into my mind!
Z seems to be much better than their previous attempts though,does give some edge over its competition in design at least.
[ This Message was edited by: Ranjith on 2013-03-19 08:58 ]
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2013-03-19 11:49
WRT to the whole launching with 4.2.2 thing. It isn't just Sony, the HTC One is launching with 4.1.2.

The Galaxy S4 is coming out late April, nearly 2 months after the Z was released. And a flagship launching in late April, SHOULD be launching with 4.2.2. Whether its Sony, or Samsung, HTC etc etc.

I said it in the s4 thread, Id put money on Sony having the 4.2.2 update before the s4 is actually released.

Having worked with mobiles for a number of years now, I can safely say all manufacturers have software issues with new products. Even Apple!
[ This Message was edited by: >500 on 2013-03-19 10:53 ]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-03-19 17:11
I was nodding yes all the way until the author wrote that Sony made a mistake by allowing Ericsson to handle THEIR mobile division. RUBBISH, UTTER RUBBISH!!!

Sony screwed up Sony Ericsson when they took charge of the company. I am not going to get into details some of the people here know very well, but Ericsson made a huge mistake by accepting Sony' request to form a joint-venture.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-03-19 17:26

On 2013-03-19 17:11:37, Dups! wrote:
I was nodding yes all the way until the author wrote that Sony made a mistake by allowing Ericsson to handle THEIR mobile division. RUBBISH, UTTER RUBBISH!!!

Sony screwed up Sony Ericsson when they took charge of the company. I am not going to get into details some of the people here know very well, but Ericsson made a huge mistake by accepting Sony' request to form a joint-venture.

+1

Sony was the one to screw Sony Ericsson in 2006, when they said "No, no, we've got this!". And we all know what happened afterwards. Right when was back on track in 2011, Sony decided screw everything for the second time. It seems Sony just couldn't stand the fact Sony Ericsson phones were selling well again. 2011 Xperias were the last great Xperias, they were running GB flawless just two months after its release in November 2010, and had the most beautiful Android skin ever made. Their only mistake was their choice for CPU and RAM amount. And, of course, ruining the great devices with the worst ICS update an year later. Their 2012 UI was crap, the design got ugly and boring, dated OS with many limitations, filled with a variety of bugs and all kind of major flaws. In 2013, the screen panels, used in their phones, are even worse than the one, used in the last UIQ touchscreens... WTF Sony?! If you don't know how to handle your mobile division, sell it! I'm sure Ericsson knows how to sell mobile phones, unlike you!
[ This Message was edited by: mediar on 2013-03-19 16:39 ]
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-03-19 18:17

On 2013-03-19 11:49:32, >500 wrote:

The Galaxy S4 is coming out late April, nearly 2 months after the Z was released. And a flagship launching in late April, SHOULD be launching with 4.2.2. Whether its Sony, or Samsung, HTC etc etc.
ware issues with new products. Even Apple!
[ This Message was edited by: >500 on 2013-03-19 10:53 ]

exactly Something i dont understand around the forum!XZ has launched much before S4,so naturally it wont have 4.2.2.but will SONY provide 4.2.2 ASAP is what matters.

I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-03-19 18:51
Yep,I agree with alot of it. Imagine though a Sony with vanila Android like the Nexus,now that would be amazing!!!!! @Tsepz_GP,I shared it with you on FB cos I knew that was exactly what you were thinking!!
[ This Message was edited by: Sean72 on 2013-03-19 17:54 ]
Phone?? What phone??
RandomCarpet
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-03-19 19:07
Though there are many correct points (about the past), his points against Xperia Z have no real grounding at all. The article pretends to present an expert opinion, but is very, very far from it.
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2013-03-19 19:25
Ironically, the pretty phone can take more stick than the Galaxy S4 ever can.
bronxdude
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
PM
Posted: 2013-03-19 19:28

Hi Dups!

If you dont mind, please share with me how sony screwed up the joint venture? if its too sensitive, send it to me via PM. I wanna know what happened as I love very much

Thanks
[ This Message was edited by: bronxdude on 2013-03-19 18:30 ]
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2013-03-19 20:36

On 2013-03-19 19:28:57, bronxdude wrote:

Hi Dups!

If you dont mind, please share with me how sony screwed up the joint venture? if its too sensitive, send it to me via PM. I wanna know what happened as I love very much

Thanks

Ericsson was forced into the JV because of a fire in a factory that nearly bankrupted them. t68 and later t610 were Ericsson phones and they helped SE become successful. It went downhill with hideki komiyama as CEO and they lost all innovation.

What most people don't understand is that SE has been a Sony run company since 2007 when Ericsson took the back seat. Bert Nordberg came in to "clean up" the company so Ericsson could sell it to Sony. He also brought many good things like an openness towards developers (xda, open bootloaders, etc). I have heard many SE engineers complain about the japanese management and how unwilling they were to share technology etc (I read somewhere that it was common for the different departments in Sony to fight each other).

I'm so sick and tired of people who try to blame Ericsson for the SE's failure. Sony was a shitty company until recently when Kaz hirai became CEO. They dragged SE down with all their proprietary stuff like memorycards and their own data-connections, refused to share technology, locked their devices down.

Sony today is a much better company compared to a couple of years ago and that is why they are doing better in the mobile space. Don't blame Ericsson, Sony today it is basically the same company as SE, only a different name.
Bialynia
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2013-03-19 20:45
I might add that having used the Nexus 4 and a recent Samsung (not a galaxy) I don't get the attacks on the Sony software. Sony puts a very mild skin on vanilla android, and in my view makes it both easier and better, I couldn't stand the vanilla android on the nexus.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-03-20 03:26

On 2013-03-19 20:36:11, motvikt wrote:

On 2013-03-19 19:28:57, bronxdude wrote:

Hi Dups!

Thanks

Ericsson was forced into the JV because of a fire in a factory that nearly bankrupted them. t68 and later t610 were Ericsson phones and they helped SE become successful. It went downhill with hideki komiyama as CEO and they lost all innovation.

What most people don't understand is that SE has been a Sony run company since 2007 when Ericsson took the back seat. Bert Nordberg came in to "clean up" the company so Ericsson could sell it to Sony. He also brought many good things like an openness towards developers (xda, open bootloaders, etc). I have heard many SE engineers complain about the japanese management and how unwilling they were to share technology etc (I read somewhere that it was common for the different departments in Sony to fight each other).

I'm so sick and tired of people who try to blame Ericsson for the SE's failure. Sony was a shitty company until recently when Kaz hirai became CEO. They dragged SE down with all their proprietary stuff like memorycards and their own data-connections, refused to share technology, locked their devices down.

Sony today is a much better company compared to a couple of years ago and that is why they are doing better in the mobile space. Don't blame Ericsson, Sony today it is basically the same company as SE, only a different name.

I totally agree. Been an fan since my GH688/GF788 days. And all the tech that was good in came from

The P-series of came from the Quartz/UIQ prototype of all Sony did was give us baby blue phones, and impose the crappy MemoryStick (::: original platform for the P800 used SD cards).

Up until the Xperia line, all ever dished out was rehashed versions of the Quartz/UIQ and the T68m (aka the T68i under the brand) the P1i being the only mild departure from contributions. (I still think that keyboard was brilliant)

I am a fan of the Xperias. I think that was a good move to revive the company, even if it was slated to become Sony.

For whatever reason, Sony never seemed to put much effort into their mobile division... when they originally had one before the merger... even during the merger... until now.

But one thing has been consistent though.. from to to Sony... their software has always been the issue.

Sony has taken an unofficial route to solve the problem. The FreeXperia program is supported by Sony to develop better custom ROMs for their Xperia line, for those that want the Vanilla Android Experience all without sacrificing the easy user experience of their Sony Xperia UI (my mom has an easier time with the stock UI, so Sony must be doing something right by removing certain features of Android for less tech-savvy people)

Although I don't use the stock Sony Home, I also don't bother with custom ROMs. Apex Launcher is good enough for me until the official JB updates are out.

I'm hopeful for Sony, as they seem to have gotten a good slap in the face to wake up.

Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-03-20 10:42
I have to disagree and say utter bull.

Where is the proof that development for P series was based on SD cards? Back then the Memory Stick had faster data read and write speeds - huge thread here on it some years back, take a search and read, along with larger memory sizes. Recall transFlash, the original name of MicroSD before it was accepted didn't exist then.

Also P series encompass a lot of varying models mist of which are NOT blue.

Sony brought Media experience to the mobile industry which kicked Motorola's 3 attempts using partnership with Apple at bay for years! This experience is the main reason why the 650, we800 and many others where so successful! You guys are knocking Sony yet they brought so much to the game that we enjoyed?? I don't get the bashing.

Ericsson brought mobile expertise especially since they build networks! This partnership was sound yet execution over the years was not done right. Hindsight is 20/20.

The P-Series existed to continue the tradition into smartphones that the R385 did, no? (I may have that model wrong, it should be the Psion model)
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-03-20 10:51
I have to disagree and say utter bull.

Where is the proof that development for P series was based on SD cards? Back then the Memory Stick had faster data read and write speeds - huge thread here on it some years back, take a search and read, along with larger memory sizes. Recall transFlash, the original name of MicroSD before it was accepted didn't exist then. P800|P900|P910|P990|P1, not to mention the M600/608|W950|960 all used MemoryStick slots & internal memory respectively.

yet which company was responsible for the desgin and which was responsible for the chipset/mobo/baseband of the Xperia X1

Also P series encompass a lot of varying models mist of which are NOT blue.

Sony brought Media experience to the mobile industry which kicked Motorola's 3 attempts using partnership with Apple at bay for years! This experience is the main reason why the K750|W800|W810 and many others where so successful! You guys are knocking Sony yet they brought so much to the game that we enjoyed?? I don't get the bashing.

Ericsson brought mobile expertise especially since they build networks! This partnership was sound yet execution over the years was not done right. Hindsight is 20/20.

The P-Series existed to continue the tradition into smartphones that the R385 did, no? (I may have that model wrong, it should be the Psion model)

EDIT updated phone models as I was mistaken.
[ This Message was edited by: Hardened on 2013-03-20 10:58 ]
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi