Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Samsung Galaxy S4 announced

Previous  123 ... 596061 ... 777879  Next
Author Samsung Galaxy S4 announced
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2013-07-01 11:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Away, this is the Galaxy s4 tread. Why are you even posting here when you have such hate for Samsung ???????

What is your reaction when someone posts their contempt in the Sony tread ????

Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-07-01 13:02

On 2013-07-01 00:20:30, Away wrote:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy

This should help.

I preferred it when you didn't read my posts.

@Tsepz

What makes Sony a 2nd tier manufacturer when you consider HTC, Samsung, Apple and lg first tier?
[ This Message was edited by: Away on 2013-07-01 00:00 ]

I've generally said Samsung, Apple and Nokia are tier 1, don't remember putting LG and HTC in that group, what I've said is that HTC and LG are the ones I see trying to put Samsung under pressure in Android.

Anyway

Well 1st of all, Sony are not even in the top 5 of overall handset manufacturers or smartphone manufacturers, as of Q1 of this year they were at 8th, with 1. Samsung, 2. Nokia, 3. Apple, 4. LG and 5. ZTE.
Sony don't seem to have the same sort of capacity these guys have, they are almost non existent in one of the most important smartphone markets, USA. When it comes to supply chains Sony can barely touch the top 5 and lets not forget network subsidies and bargaining power, Sony just don't seem to have any sort of power here, one of the saddest things to watch is for example, how US networks treat the few SE/Sony phones they do make available, be it how long it takes for them to make them available, update support or lack of any subsidy, Sony have absolutely no control here. Until they can address these areas they will always be a tier 2 OEM.

There was also the matter of dated hardware (e.g. CPU/GPU), but Sony seems to be sorting this out with the Z Ultra and upcoming Z2 or whatever that 20mp phone is, or Qualcomm has such an over supply of the S800 that Sony could also get in on the new HW.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-07-01 14:11
^^ So your basis in ranking a manufacturer is because of sales or number of units shipped, not on leading technology innovation and capabilities in bringing something new to the table.

To me personally sales mean only a part of a manufacturer's value, that only means they got the money, that can easily mean they rely on suppliers for their tech and marketing to sell their product. I'd easily call Nokia and Sony tier 1 manufacturer, why? Nokia have proven themselves in imaging department, Sony have proven themselves in camera hardware sensor technology in which both Apple and Samsung did rely on. Sony started the trend in waterproof flagship phones including tablets, Z ultra has a screen which you can use a pencil on, LG as far as I know also introduced great display technologies, and had the first mobile phone with capacitive touchscreen.

You see these companies I categorize tier 1 are the ones who sacrifice their money in R&D to push technology further, and are not afraid to share their hard earned R&D to other manufacturers to spread the tech. To me those are the things that add respect and value that can never be bought by any amount of money because it is an achievement done not for money reasons but as an engineering feat.

I find your reason for tier 1 very shallow if it is based on market share and capacity only. FYI I do see Samsung also as tier 1 because they do have their contributions in making faster ram modules, and did contribute to screen technology also. But to call Sony tier 2? when they have been the pioneer in electronic devices and has contributed a lot to R&D is very unfair imo.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2013-07-01 14:00 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-07-01 15:25
I guess we can do it multiple ways, but yes, the way I classify what tier each falls under is through a mixture of how they handle the 5 forces along with their share of the market. End of the day we are not looking at who contributed what, we are looking at WHO is CURRENTLY using those contributions to the best of their advantage.

If we were to go by your way, Motorola would also be a tier 1 manufacturer as they have contributed a whole lot into the industry. It's quite hard to truly quantify how much each OEM has contributed though as there is so much going on behind the scenes.
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-07-01 15:28
Not Nokia not LG not HTC, Sony is putting Samsung under pressure

http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]ding-to-other-Androids_id44731
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-07-01 16:19

On 2013-07-01 15:25:51, Tsepz_GP wrote:
End of the day we are not looking at who contributed what, we are looking at WHO is CURRENTLY using those contributions to the best of their advantage.

Which is absolutely wrong imo, and completely ignorant, so going by your logic the one who uses the best tech made by others, and then make it yours is the one who deserves all the credit and attention? Well maybe you look at it that way, I personally don't.

You don't simply say this brand crushes everything in it's path and easily threatens it's competitors when it needed/borrowed it's competitors technology just to make something good. If we were just to look at "WHO is CURRENTLY using those contributions" then that means you're simply being blind of a company's success, there's more to it than that, it needed it's competitor just to become the best. Which does not sound good right? Why did Samsung go with Sony sensors when they can produce their own? Because its cheaper? to keep their phone at competitive price? or is it because it was better? either way they needed it in their final product.

If we were to go by your way, Motorola would also be a tier 1 manufacturer as they have contributed a whole lot into the industry. It's quite hard to truly quantify how much each OEM has contributed though as there is so much going on behind the scenes.

Yes Motorola would also be a tier 1 manufacturer, you know just like how kodak is a tier 1 manufacturer of cameras even though they no longer exist. So you might be asking what are tier 2 manufacturers then? well HTC, Huawei, ZTE and other phone manufacturers who just orders parts and rebrand it as their own would be one step lower imo.

Anyway this is going off-topic and this would be my last post regarding this argument. I'm just surprised at how much praise this thread has almost as if it's a god you're worshiping , with witty comments to lash out at other manufacturers.
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2013-07-01 17:43
How hard is it to stay on topic. . . . . ?
[ This Message was edited by: rikken on 2013-07-01 16:55 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-07-01 19:23
reeflotz
so going by your logic the one who uses the best tech made by others, and then make it yours is the one who deserves all the credit and attention? Well maybe you look at it that way, I personally don't.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I mean, as long as you've paid for that tech, if your product has the best tech from a bunch of other companies and combined is a great product then by all means YOU deserve credit. E.g. the GS4 I've got has a Exmor RS Sony sensor, a Wolfson DAC, antenna by Broadcom, and a GPU from Imagination Technologies, and is an excellent product, thanks to Samsung buying the best tech available at the time, they by all means deserve the credit as they've combined it all to make one hell of a smartphone. Many industries work like that, the car industry being one of them.

You don't simply say this brand crushes everything in it's path and easily threatens it's competitors when it needed/borrowed it's competitors technology just to make something good.

Yes you do, if that company got into a contract with multiple companies to use their tech to create a product that rivals theirs, that is exactly what's happening in the industry. Nokia's very best phones were mostly made up of parts from Sony, Samsung, IP licensed from MS etc etc...

Why did Samsung go with Sony sensors when they can produce their own? Because its cheaper? to keep their phone at competitive price? or is it because it was better? either way they needed it in their final product.

The funniest part being they got better results out of Sony's sensors than Sony themselves, how did Samsung do it? They bought the tech from Sony and optimized it better combining their own know how, IP they've licensed etc... It's how the industry works buddy, sooner you get that the better.

Yes Motorola would also be a tier 1 manufacturer, you know just like how kodak is a tier 1 manufacturer of cameras even though they no longer exist. So you might be asking what are tier 2 manufacturers then? well HTC, Huawei, ZTE and other phone manufacturers who just orders parts and rebrand it as their own would be one step lower imo.

The ignorance in this ^ paragraph is on a monumental level.

WRT the bolded part, errmmm, every OEM does that, or do Sony make EVERY single part they put their phones??? ....Nope, I thought not, they outsource certain parts. By the way, Huawei has quite the IP portfolio when it comes to RF tech don't be so quick to talk them down.

Thanks for all that....whatever it was.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-07-01 22:26

On 2013-07-01 15:28:16, randomuser wrote:
Not Nokia not LG not HTC, Sony is putting Samsung under pressure

http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]ding-to-other-Androids_id44731

After what Samsung did to Nokia and Apple, they shouldn't have a problem flicking Sony off their shoulder. Then again, with how long it takes Sony to update their phones and other silly mistakes, Samsung may not have to do much to get back the few customers they've lost.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-07-02 22:09
@ rikken - it does get rather dull listening to deluded people, doesn't it ?

You know im a fan of all technology and look at the market as it is. Which is why I get so annoyed about these people who are so utterly deluded. Seriously what do they have to gain from saying such things ? or do they seriously believe what they're saying.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 08:30
Yep, the GS4 really isn't selling well, over 20million units in 2months, Samsung are seriously doomed people! it must be due to all those many people buying the Xperia Z

Samsung sells 20 million Galaxy S4s

Samsung has sold over 20 million Galaxy S4 units (supply basis) in a span of two months. The figure was apparently confirmed by JK Shin to Korean reporters and will help refute the speculation about lower-than-expected sales of Galaxy S4.

The phone went on sale in late April and reached the milestone by end of June. In comparison, Galaxy S III took 100 days to reach the same 20 million mark.

As for the sales in Korea, Samsung has managed to sell 500,000 units.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013[....]g-sells-20-million-galaxy-s4s/
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2013-07-03 07:31 ]
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 11:16

On 2013-07-02 22:09:23, etaab wrote:
@ rikken - it does get rather dull listening to deluded people, doesn't it ?

You know im a fan of all technology and look at the market as it is. Which is why I get so annoyed about these people who are so utterly deluded. Seriously what do they have to gain from saying such things ? or do they seriously believe what they're saying.

I agree, let's ignore etaab and tsepz.
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 20:46
Oh, he pretends to have humor. . . . .
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 21:28
The success continues: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsu[....]_galaxy_s4_units-news-6313.php
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 21:52

On 2013-07-03 21:28:40, rikken wrote:
The success continues: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsu[....]_galaxy_s4_units-news-6313.php

Do you come to this thread just to read MY comments? If the answer is 'no', what's the excuse to miss that news which has already been posted on this page?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 596061 ... 777879  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic