Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > GALAXY S III Android4.2 Update leaks

Author GALAXY S III Android4.2 Update leaks
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-02-23 08:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just a short time ago, Samsung rolled out Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for the Samsung Galaxy S3, an update that brought the company’s Premium Suite including the Galaxy Note 2′s Multi-Window View. Samsung has also recently rolled out the Galaxy Note Android 4.1 update and the Galaxy S2 Android 4.1 update. However, the company doesn’t appear content with just those.

It now looks like Samsung is hard at work on the Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.2 Jelly Bean update as test firmware has leaked out today in the form of Android 4.2.1 for the I9300XXUFMB3 model of the Galaxy S3. The file comes from XDA-Developer member Saturn, by way of SamMobile, and it appears to be packing quite a few features for those Galaxy S3 owners willing to take the plunge.

The list of features is said to include:

Improved Ripple effect on Lockscreen
Lockscreen Widgets
Daydream
New Additions in Notification Center
Improved Notifications
Voice Command
Keep in mind, this is an update that is a piece of test firmware which means that it won’t be the actual update that rolls out at some point in the future. Speaking of the release date, it appears that the update may not roll out until after the Samsung Galaxy S4 arrives, likely because Samsung wants to tout Android 4.2 on the Galaxy S4.

No specific date was listed but given that the Samsung Galaxy S4 isn’t set to be released until April at the earliest, we expect the Galaxy S3 to be on Android 4.1 for quite some time.

Those that own the appropriate Galaxy S3 model and can’t wait for the official roll out, can take the plunge early though those who aren’t familiar with the process should proceed with extreme caution.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/[....]y-s3-android-4-2-update-leaks/

Some other reports of Android4.2 being on the way for the Galaxy S3:
http://www.androidcentral.com[....]-international-galaxy-s3-leaks
http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]amsung-Galaxy-S-III_id40104#4-

Here's the XDA link to the test firmware:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1835931

Samsung truly spoiling us here most of the GS3's 2012 competitors are not even on 4.1 and some of its 2013 competitors are being released with 4.1 with no clear indication of when they'll get 4.2, pretty incredible work by Samsung.

Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-23 12:56
Thanks Tsepz this is great news.

Moving from Sony > Samsung I've been very impressed with the updates and the speed considering Sony were really slow.

I can't see this coming out until after the S4, this software has probably been prep'd for the S4.

Doesn't really seem like many improvements (but the 4.2 update is welcome), Daydream is a bit gimmicky and 4.1 already has notifications so Samsung are unlikely to change this. Expanded notifications will be interesting.

I can't really understand Google's philosophy with Android at the moment 4.2 is so minor compared with 4.1 and I even found the leap from ICS to JB pretty minor (apart from project butter).

I'd rather have a yearly release with more functions but I suppose Android is getting to the point of saturation in terms of what can be added to it imo.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-02-24 21:06
Completely agree Rickster, WRT Google's philosophy with Android updates, I don't get it either.
Another thing , for us Samsung GS3 and Note2 users the update to 4.2 won't be that big as many of the features that it brings can be found in Samsungs TouchWiz UI on Android4.1.2, if anything, at this point Samsung seems to be doing more with Android than Google itself.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2013-02-24 21:30
For those who would like to try the 4.2.1 test fw : http://www.sammobile.com/2013[....]-1-jelly-bean-leaked-firmware/
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-03-02 14:02
I've had a look at some of the videos of the new 4.2.1 firmware.

Shame Samsung haven't included photosphere but tbh I think it is a bit gimmicky.

Few new nice additions but I don't think it's going to improve the experience massively, I would rather prefer memory and battery management.

I personally don't get the whole "widgets on lock screen" idea - I thought the whole point of the lock screen is the it maintains privacy. It's not something I use anyway because I have pattern unlock.

Daydream seems nice but again a bit gimmicky.

I also think the new notification/quick access options menu is a bit of backward step; currently Samsung have the most common ones you use when you drag down and they move sideways so you can pick the one you want. The 4.2.1 now removes this to a degree so you have to do a 2 finger pull down to expose all options. I couldn't work out if the items you select (i.e wifi, bluetooth) stay in the 5 option thing or they update depending on what you select.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi