Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > HTC announces HTC One 4.7-inch flagship smartphone

Previous  123 4 ... 161718  Next
Author HTC announces HTC One 4.7-inch flagship smartphone
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 12:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
>500

Not only that. But Ultrapixel is just a gimmick. See the Z thread, I posted some shots comparing HTC One with Z downsampled 4mp pics. HTC doesn't fare well at all. Even at 4MP there is not much detail and quite a bit of noise.

Iphone 5/Xperia V/Galaxy S3 downsampled to 4MP can easily beat the HTC One.

EDIT: See for yourself. More samples

http://www.eprice.com.hk/mobi[....]0The%20new%20HTC%20One-review/
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2013-02-20 11:59 ]
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 14:04
My second favourite Android OEM. Sad, but RIP HTC.

I hope they do well, I really do. I can not name 1 thing special about LG, and I have a Nexus 4 (which is sorta LGish)...

Samsung are a bunch of copycats, so I don't care about them. Apple will patent breathing one day. Nokia have chosen the wrong OS. Basically, they got Elopped.

No USP whatsoever. The camera turns out to be rubbish. They went too extreme with it. Should have been at least 8mp.

toscaniz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 16:02
two major concerns with this phone: cam & battery. HTC's recent tracklist is'nt good at those two points.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 16:42

On 2013-02-20 12:06:10, >500 wrote:
@Tsepz_GP

Not to add fuel to the fire, but, should we really be that concerned still about benchmarks? 9/10 consumers use of the phone wont be hampered if it had a lower benchmark. TBH, its gotten to the point where its all about bragging rights. We simply dont need the extra oopmh for the ways we CURRENTLY use our phones! And, despite what many forum goers think, the average consumer still dont CLEARLY understand the technical differences. Its only a very minute population, in the grand scheme of things, that buy for this sort of thing.

Moving on, as some sites have reported, despite it having different camera tech, its still 4mp, and consumers will see that, and be turned away. And most sales people wont be able to explain the tech properly. Not to sure if this will be affected when viewing on higher resolution screens?

Personally like looking at benchmarks to get an idea of how the insides of the phone and it's SW perform as compared to the competitors.

I'm not big on cameras, and going by the trends, neither are most consumers, I remember when I got my GS3 I had a moment where I couldn't even remember if it had a 8mp or 13mp camera, had to check the box, so I don't know how many will react. If HC market this right, the whole UltraPixel thing could work to their advantage, as for the 4 count, I don't see it being a major deal breaker, especially if they don't mention it in their marketing.

All they have to do is market the crap out of SenseUI, the incredible audio technology in this beast, the beautiful metal finish of the phone, the incredibly high PPI display (+450 PPI) and then just drop UltraPixel in there and make it sound like an evolution from Megapixel and they are sorted. I'm only a marketing student, so I'm sure Htcs own marketing team will have much better ideas, I just hope they have a better campaign than they did for the One X.

I'm shocked nobody has anything to say about HTCs fast distribution to so many markets and carriers, I saw signs of this when the One X arrived down here rather quickly, seems they have sorted out their distribution channels, all they need now is a killer campaign
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 19:20
A marketing campaign? With what money?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 19:24
I like this phone & I think it will do well for HTC. I also like the fact that they have finally overhauled their skin. The old app drawer was looking boring and tired. They now changed it with folders etc & Sense 5. Also,I doubt it BB are going start to sue HTC or anyone they ain't like Apple. HTC more than likely had this design ages ago before they knew of BBZ10
[ This Message was edited by: Sean72 on 2013-02-20 18:27 ]
Phone?? What phone??
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 20:09
The samples in below link:

http://www.eprice.com.tw/mobi[....]-M7,%20新%20HTC%20One-review/

The outdoor shots are actually pretty good considering our typical low light winter skies in the UK. At full zoom details are nice and colours and focus are spot on. The more samples I see I am shedding my initial scepticism and this could be a really nice camera...

But the kicker is that they are no better than anything currently on the market and certainly nothing near Pureview which was stunning, there is no crystal clear detail like Pureview in these samples and they look more like samples from last year's One X. This would be fine but most people would rather have an average 8/13mpx camera than an average 4mpx unit.

I could just about live with this and I'd need to see more shots in good light.

Overal I'm more impressed with the One than the Z. HTC have made a good move in restricted the screen size to 4.7 - ideal imo, 5 is too much for me and the design is something that Samsung could take a leaf from.

All in all a very nice device, but I really wish that HTC had gone with the flow on the camera or at least increased the sensor size.
[ This Message was edited by: rickster2kuk on 2013-02-20 19:10 ]
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 20:12

On 2013-02-20 20:09:40, rickster2kuk wrote:
The samples in below link:

http://www.eprice.com.tw/mobi[....]-M7,%20新%20HTC%20One-review/

The outdoor shots are actually pretty good considering our typical low light winter skies in the UK. At full zoom details are nice and colours and focus are spot on. The more samples I see I am shedding my initial scepticism and this could be a really nice camera...

But the kicker is that they are no better than anything currently on the market and certainly nothing near Pureview which was stunning, there is no crystal clear detail like Pureview in these samples and they look more like samples from last year's One X. This would be fine but most people would rather have an average 8/13mpx camera than an average 4mpx unit.

I could just about live with this and I'd need to see more shots in good light.

Overal I'm more impressed with the One than the Z. HTC have made a good move in restricted the screen size to 4.7 - ideal imo, 5 is too much for me and the design is something that Samsung could take a leaf from.

All in all a very nice device, but I really wish that HTC had gone with the flow on the camera or at least increased the sensor size.
[ This Message was edited by: rickster2kuk on 2013-02-20 19:10 ]

I've posted that the Z is 2mm wider and taller with a bigger screen. The on-screen buttons hide themselves in videos anyway, so the screen is not usually wasted. 'design is something that Samsung could take a leaf from'. No, how to copy designs is what Samsung could take a leaf from. HTC have beautifully copied the back of the XP and ion, along with the front of the iPhone 5. Nice one?
[ This Message was edited by: Away on 2013-02-20 19:47 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 21:08
Samsung is worst for designs very bland
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 21:45
The Chinese will take over HTC's market share if not already

For a fraction of the cost
[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2013-02-20 22:06 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 21:58
If im not mistaken Huawei or ZTE are the 4th largest phone maker after Samsung, Nokia and Apple, cant remember, but the Chinese have definetly begun taking over, i dont know if they can take down any of the big 3 though.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 22:51
Heh, personally id never buy a ZTE or Huawei. Both companies have been known to install spyware in their products according to news sources so I could never trust them with a device which is so smart.

Regarding the new One.

I think its great. Its got a fantastic chipset which is faster than Sony's new phone before its even been released. I can list a few points of why I prefer the One over the Z.

- the One looks nicer imo
- metal is better than glass, Apple are the leaders in fashion and design. Their 5 has metal now. Glass is old news
- someone said the Z will be rugged, not where its mostly glass. Id rather have toughened aluminium like my old N8
- better screen - the Z has poor contrast and viewing angles
- much better speakers - One is better for movies with better screen and speakers
- better UI skin - I like sense, Sony's skin is dull, colour less, harder to customise, cant stand having home screen dots at top of screen
- better software and quicker android updates
- better software innovations

I know, some will disagree but they're whats important to me. The problem I would have with the Z is the silly flaps over the ports which look stupid when plugging in headphones or a charging cable. Flaps over ports are so last decade.

I think HTC have the better phone but I think Sony's will sell more on looks alone.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 22:57
The BBC reported recently the spy story was found to be false. The Sony has them flaps to keep it water tight
[ This Message was edited by: Sean72 on 2013-02-20 22:00 ]
Phone?? What phone??
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 23:02
The funny thing with last years One was that it was a really good phone and got great write-ups everywhere, yes there were initial issues with the screen and battery (but Sony were just as bad).

HTC just seemed to completely forget about marketing it - I can't recall seeing much media presence compared to Samsung or Sony and on that basis a fundamentally good phone fell under the radar.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 23:15
I know it has flaps to keep it water tight. But I have no need for waterproof phones. Those flaps would just annoy me.

I wish HTC all the best but I dont think it will dig them out of the hole they're in.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 161718  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic