Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Cameraphone night time photography

Author Cameraphone night time photography
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-12-01 21:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Well tomorrow im going to (another) Christmas market and it will be dark so i'll be trying to get some shots there using the tips provided.

Cant say i hold much hope though lol.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-12-01 23:42
Taken in my livingroom, I always shoot in Auto-mode

etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-12-02 10:59
Looks grainy. As do mine indoors. In that environment i would just use the flash.
hibiskus
BlackBerry Z10
PM
Posted: 2012-12-02 11:20
concerning night time photos, i have my own theory which is: the longer maximum exposure time phone has, better it is for nighttime shooting. For instance my LG kc910 renoir has only 1/4 sec max exposure time and i know that after sunset i cant picture anything worthwile. kc910 actually can go up to 1600 ISO but with so "big" sensor, theres more noise than picture itself .
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-12-02 14:59
etaab, of course it's grainy, it's taken with a phone. Most cameras would produce a grainy picture under such low light. Using a flash would only lit up the room and make it look unnatural
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-12-02 16:00
Yes,looks grainy but that's auto mode. Auto mode NEVER gets the right settings for night time. That is why I do not use auto at night not even on a normal camera. On a normal camera I use manual or programme mode. That is what settings are for. Auto is 99% crap at night. @Rikken,looks cosy though
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-12-02 15:01 ]
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-12-02 21:52
@ hibiskus - see, i'd believe you but other people post pictures on Esato which are perfectly shot. No noise, no blur, sharp as you'd like. I just cant get there with night shots.

@ rikken - didnt want to offend dude, just how i saw your picture and very comparable to mine indoors also.

@ Bonovox - im starting to think you've got a point. Take a look at these images.

First shot: full auto, nothing changed from the camera starting up in fully auto everything.

Original

Horrible ^ huh. Blurred, grainy, not sharp.

Second shot: Auto, but set to night mode, phone steadied against a wall

Original

Its even worse on night mode !!!! just look at the worse blur and more grain imo.

Last one

Original

Again, full auto but set to night mode ^ - terrible. Ive clearly not learnt a damn thing. The whole shot is a total blur mess.

Please feel free to pick over the EXIF data listed by Esato if possible.

So, Bonovox what you suggest is give night mode a try but with manual settings rather than auto ?? I might stand on my local motorway bridge tomorrow night when i get home from work and see what shots i can get during rush hour.

rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-12-02 22:21
etaab, I was not offended it is hard to avoid grainy pictures when light is low d
ILoveBhe
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2012-12-06 15:16
I just love how the 808 cleans the noise in manual settings and set to pure iew mode.

Ive got some photos too may not be as good as yours but here goes

Original
Original
Original
Original
Original

What happened to the photo gallery most poular photos, did that just turned Sony exclusive?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-12-06 15:30
@etaab,yes. But on night mode you may find if kept still everything will be fine but moving people or cars blur but that gives a nice effect. Just normal auto cameras never get it right
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-12-06 19:27
@ ILoveBhe - very beautiful pictures. Thats what im talking about. I really want a 808.

Did you need a tripod to get those shots ?? the massive detail and complete lack of noise in those pictures is amazing!

@ Bonovox - cheers i'll give it a try. Watch this space - when i get time away from work to test. In the meantime feel free to post some night pics in this thread. Im very much interested in seeing them.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2012-12-06 18:31 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-12-06 23:06
Yeah really wish the price would drop on the 808
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-12-08 21:38
Im keeping my ear to the ground to see whether, or hear, whether a WP8 version will come out.

If not i might get a 808 next year when my new job starts paying out.

Everything about the camera is just great. The loss less zoom, total lack of noise in most pictures, its as close to a DSLR as you can get without buying a DSLR. I know 3x zoom isnt much, but it makes a difference when trying to get decent shots for instagram.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2012-12-08 20:42 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-12-08 22:33
Yes it's starting to frustrate me as I love mobile photography but most camera phones seems to be getting worse. The 808 is the only real one in terms of pure image quality and what it can also do.
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-12-09 13:41
Well, i had a N93 with its optical zoom and since then, ive been frustrated by not having a proper zoom in a phone. 3x zoom isnt much, but when you want to take a picture of something you either have to get close or crop the image and lose some detail.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi