Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 628629630 ... 122712281229  Next
Author SONY Xperia Rumors 2013 Edition
JoJotaro
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 13:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I hated Vista too, but Windows 7 and Windows 8 are a great improvement, fast, light, super responsive. Also working, gaming and watching video is easy, unlike OSX which only caused me frustration and utter despoilment. Ubuntu has been even worse though...

Anyway. This Vaio Pro seems to have NFC but does it have Miracast? And Sony hasn't even officially announced it or any other refresh/update for their other models. Is Sony trying to exit the performance area of PCs and stick with small portables that interact with their Xperia line? Is this a sign that Sony intends to focus on Xperia and mobility and abandon/shrink the rest of their brands? What's the point of creating an ecosystem with your brands if when the rest of your brands don't stand up to the competition?
[ This Message was edited by: JoJotaro on 2013-06-04 12:27 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-04 13:34
like you said JoJo.. it hasn't even been announced yet. All that's known is what has been leaked. And you're speculating a lot. Sony has always been a much bigger laptop player than a desktop maker, so it's not illogical for them to focus on those devices.

What makes you think the other brands are shrinking? The camera lines are doing great and are some of the best in the biz.. TV lines have some of the best picture quality you can get.. and the walkman line, even though it's not as big as it used to be, still produces some of the best audio at the consumer level. Granted, they're still slapping the "SONY" price tag on everything, but it doesn't seem like there's any shrinking of other brands.

As far as vaio pro, the leaked specs says it's using an Intel HD graphics chip.. i'm sad that it doesn't use something better. maybe it will come with a power dock like the old Z? if so, that would be my ideal upgrade from this 5 year old macbook pro

as far as honami and togari are concerned.. i've been harassing the Sony Xperia News guy on twitter for hints haha.. we'll see how that goes.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
JoJotaro
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 13:48
Well some of their best products haven't received a refresh announcement in over a year! All I've seen is Xperias, Bravias and Playstation, which is nice but what happened to the rest!? Is it all due the restructuring?
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-04 13:54
i don't know why you would think that.

walkman is probably getting integrated into the xperias since most people don't use stand alone mp3 players anymore.

the new vaios have just been released for sale (i.e., the vaio FITs 14, 14E, 15, 15E) so there's your refresh. And the Duo13 and the vaio Pro are in the pipeline to be announced, as you know.

what's left? cameras? I haven't kept up on their camera tech, but it seems they'll be doing a refresh on those soon with the new jpeg engine and all.

you're just jumping the gun saying sony is focusing on mobile market alone. there is nothing to really indicate such a conclusion.

moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
stedus
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 13:55
Damn you Sony..... too many good stuffs this year
Since they are able to shrink the Triluminos panel to a Laptop/Tablet (Hello Sony Xperia Tablet Pro? ) size, I think it would be easy for them to do the same thing with Smartphones and Phablet (Xperia..... Pro? )

Off topic:
I'm going to get a new laptop this year but......
I can't choose between these two

[ This Message was edited by: stedus on 2013-06-04 12:57 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 14:00
High end Alpha/NEX which were supposed to arrive this year won't arrive, not until 2014, Andrea at SAR said that only NEX-7N which is a small refresh for the current NEX-7 will arrive, A77 successor and the full frame NEX camera are all in due for a 2014 launch, and yes this shift was part of the major restructuring at Sony, Hirai's intention there is pretty much clear, he wants every Sony hardware to be top notch.

I'll still go for the VAIO laptop, it's got better hardware than the hybrid, unless you're a graphics artist where its pen display functionality will be a godsend, I can't see the VAIO duo attracting the mainstream crowd.
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2013-06-04 13:03 ]
10 years at Esato
JoJotaro
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 14:11
They haven't announced a refresh for the VAIO S series. All these VAIOs they have announced don't deliver performance! And as razec said their camera line, especially the top of the line hasn't received a refresh...

@razec How is it better for graphics!? An Nvidia GPU!? There's no way these laptops are good for anything that has to do with graphics, not even Photoshop!
[ This Message was edited by: JoJotaro on 2013-06-04 13:18 ]
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 14:19
How does it have better hardware than the hybrid? O_o both will feature haswell CPUs, U-series, probably with same HD graphics, 4400, both will have hdmi out, 2 USB 3.0, sd card slot, backlit keyboards. Both will feature full HD Trilluminous (as option) screens which will be touch with what might be an option on the laptops to opt for non touch, but this is not confirmed. Both should have NFC and neither will have VGA out. Apart from that only difference will be the digitizer pen on the Duo and the sliding mechanism and of course weight, the Duo should weight more than the Pro but this was expected.

Rumour has it the Duo 13 will be lighter and thinner than the duo 11, which is 2.87lbs and 0.71inch

I should mention some of the Pro 11 and 13 models do not ship with full HD, they ship with 1366x768.
JoJotaro
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 14:25
And Sony was suppose to be standardizing 1080p! What a joke! What's next Honami and Togari will be pushed to next year or they'll come out with an S600 SoC! Sorry for going all nuts here but this is disappointing for me...
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 14:36
@Jojotaro: I was talking about the pen display of the Duo 13, it's good for on the go sketching and quick Photoshop retouching, of course for serious graphics design nothing beats a desktop with top of the line hardware, but we're dealing with on-the-go computing here

@ascariss
I'm thinking that VAIO pro might come with a docking station like the VAIO Z where a discrete GPU is built along with the blu ray player. Seriously though I'd prefer a laptop over the Duo 13 just by ergonomics alone, I don't think the keyboard of the Duo 13 would be comfortable for me especially when placed on my lap.
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2013-06-04 13:40 ]
10 years at Esato
JoJotaro
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 14:44
The VAIO S is still the best choice. Non of these new VAIOs come close to the performance of the S and even the S doesn't offer the best performance on a notebook on the market...
[ This Message was edited by: JoJotaro on 2013-06-04 13:45 ]
stedus
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 14:47
The main thing i like about the Hybrid is the thickness )
They also add a track pad into that Duo device

And yes, both of them have similar specs....
pmugghc
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 14:47
Way too much OT now, take the Vaio and NEX discussions elsewhere please
Shotokan81
Apple iPhone 3GS
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 14:55
I think that the problem is that tech advancement makes that for most people we are getting in a situation where, more and more:
- reflex cameras can replace camcorders, compact camera can replace reflex, smartphone can replace compacts.
- smartphone can replace mp3 players, and home audio entertainment, you just (but still) need an amp.
- laptop can replace desktop, tablets can replace laptops.
- people don't need to replace their full hd tv with a 4k, and i rarely see people watching 3d.
- smartphones can also replace portable gaming consoles, let's see how it goes for nintendo and then psp.
So i do think it is a smart idea to put all their strengh in xperia, i cannot tell if is what they do, i do not know.
@Ricky D, I would think they put their best team on each component of honami following the one sony approach.

Additional issue, japanese companies have long put quality as main objective. In the local market, people could accept a price premium if they get the best product. But does this work today? Most people look for the best compromise including in Japan, and if samsung/lg can make tvs almost as good as sharp but at a lower cost, then they sell it, a lot of it, including in japan. In that context, it may not pay-off to make a super product with a price premium, and sony would clearly be taking risks. The difference with smartphones being the subsidies from telcos, so second good reason to be all in on xperia, it should sell more than non subsidies products. But still this is not without risk.

BUT, this is also what is exciting about the honami, one sony, make or break right? Personally, give me the best camera experience on android + ios and i am sold.
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2013-06-04 14:58

On 2013-06-04 14:36:32, razec wrote:
@Jojotaro: I was talking about the pen display of the Duo 13, it's good for on the go sketching and quick Photoshop retouching, of course for serious graphics design nothing beats a desktop with top of the line hardware, but we're dealing with on-the-go computing here

@ascariss
I'm thinking that VAIO pro might come with a docking station like the VAIO Z where a discrete GPU is built along with the blu ray player. Seriously though I'd prefer a laptop over the Duo 13 just by ergonomics alone, I don't think the keyboard of the Duo 13 would be comfortable for me especially when placed on my lap.
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2013-06-04 13:40 ]

I wouldn't expect a dock, the Z had a special connector for that, which is absent here on the Pro model.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 628629630 ... 122712281229  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic