Visitors browsing this topic: 3
Add to Bookmarks
Author SONY Xperia Rumors 2013 Edition
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-10-03 12:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
It's a standard practice to top up the CPU frequency incase there's a benchmark app running, the whole idea of the benchmark is to bring the best of what the platform provides while in the same time being as real-world as possible...

The problem with Samsung, the first time this behaviour was discovered, it was discovered that the phone will actually top up the frequency to a setting that is higher than what it actually available to any real-world application... for example the phone was advertised to run at 1.9GHz, all real-worlds app will have this clock as the maximum when they demand it... but benchmark apps will have higher than that, for example 2.3GHz...

This behaviour is wrong, as the benchmarks will have higher performance than what is available in any other real-world app...

It's something like giving a car reviewer the same car with Turbo, while the consumer wont have this Turbo in their cars
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-10-03 12:59
It's actually more like what Nissan did with the GTR. The Nissan GTR has limited BHP and top speed for when on any road except a race track, when the GTR's navigation system detects that you are driving into a racetrack it automatically turns off the Limiter, end of the day when the car is being benchmarked on a racetrack like a phone with a benchmark app it widens the performance limiters, so technically, the owner of the car has the use of the power in the track in the same way the owner of the phone has use of that power in a benchmarking app.

It's something like giving a car reviewer the same car with Turbo, while the consumer wont have this Turbo in their cars

Awful analogy as the phone performs in those benchmarks as the same way it did in the reviewers benchmark test, there is no missing component.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-10-03 14:02
You can take the GTR limiter off and drive 'carefully' on the road and see for yourself what it can do. Anyway, this benchmark thing is all over Esato like a disease so lets move on. It wouldn't surprise me if everyone does some sort of fiddling.

Is the headphone jack below the camera shutter key on the Z1F or is that a lanyard hole? It looks like it wants something to slot into it. The sides look rounded which may be more comfortable to hold. A smiley face is not an answer thanks.
AbhiD999
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-10-03 14:08

On 2013-10-03 12:59:04, Tsepz_GP wrote:
It's actually more like what Nissan did with the GTR. The Nissan GTR has limited BHP and top speed for when on any road except a race track, when the GTR's navigation system detects that you are driving into a racetrack it automatically turns off the Limiter, end of the day when the car is being benchmarked on a racetrack like a phone with a benchmark app it widens the performance limiters, so technically, the owner of the car has the use of the power in the track in the same way the owner of the phone has use of that power in a benchmarking app.

Awful analogy as the phone performs in those benchmarks as the same way it did in the reviewers benchmark test, there is no missing component.

Use your mind at least while trollin'
benchmarks and racing track aren't the same thing ! High performance in benchmark only is of zero use while extra performance on track is of use!
Moreover Nissan doesn't fool the consumers as they state true figures and conditions of what's available in what condition, while your favourite cheater company only fools the consumers by hiding everything!
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-10-03 14:37

On 2013-10-03 14:02:05, badassmam wrote:
You can take the GTR limiter off and drive 'carefully' on the road and see for yourself what it can do. Anyway, this benchmark thing is all over Esato like a disease so lets move on. It wouldn't surprise me if everyone does some sort of fiddling.

Is the headphone jack below the camera shutter key on the Z1F or is that a lanyard hole? It looks like it wants something to slot into it. The sides look rounded which may be more comfortable to hold. A smiley face is not an answer thanks.

And you can always OC or throttle your Android.

WRT the bolded-They do, which is why people bitching about one manufacturer is pointless.

To the ever so bitter AbhiD999
Moreover Nissan doesn't fool the consumers as they state true figures and conditions of what's available in what condition, while your favourite cheater company only fools the consumers by hiding everything!

Errmm, its well known fact that car makers figures are ESTIMATES that were done in optimal conditions to get the best result possible, so you're actually completely incorrect.
As for the benchmarks as AnandTech said, pretty much every OEM does it, not just Samsung.

Cheers!
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2013-10-03 13:52 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-10-03 15:06
In two weeks time I'm going to start the 2014 rumors thread, as some of you guys could have noticed, I wasn't active these days because my PC's motherboard broke, so I'm on a shopping spree for a new one, I already prepped a layout for the main page but I still need to scan the previous pages for qualified rumors. I'm also aware that SR4/5 spyshots will be very rare from now on but I think we can still experience some SR4/SR5 news weeks before the actuall product launches, much like what usually happens at SAR.

For Supercoolman and Ramu who initially proposed that I become the next topic author, I want to express my grattitude for suggesting, it will be a challenging year for me for sure but I'll do my best to deliver on your expectations
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2013-10-03 14:07 ]
10 years at Esato
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-10-03 20:14
@Tsepz_GP,
Your example is more correct, mine wasn't accurate I agree with you on that...

@badassmam
Actually, SoC makers suggest the highest freq. that that specific SoC is capable of, in case of Snapdragon 800 for example is 2.3GHz, but phone makers doesn't always use the full clock for several reasons including :-
1- Power
2- Heat
3- Cost

While manufacturing the SoC, some patches are able to work at the full 2.3GHz clocks in all time within the expected power consumption, these are rare compared to other patches which can work normally at a little bit lower clock.. but doing the full clock will make it consume more than expected power or might generate more than expected heat... so the SoC maker sell these lower grade SoC at lower cost which are the majority of the manufacturing in the semiconductor world...

So While the SoC is capable of running at 2.3GHz but it will be best to run it at 1.9GHz for example duo to the fact that this is a lower grade silicon... it's not a fault silicon.. but it just have more electron leak, a known term in the semiconductors world even for PC CPU's and GPU's

So there's a limiter, not in the SoC it self, but in the Kernel and this is to have the SoC at the best optimal and efficient operation... you can remove that limitation by overclocking, exactly like CPU and GPU world.. but you will git higher power consumption and more heat than expected...

in PC world this is known as Turbo mode, which clearly say that this is a not normal condition and is only triggered by the consumer if he want higher performance, it was from the early days of pre-Pentium CPUs when CPU's was clocked at 33, 66, 100, 133, 166MHz... and now with some GPU's that uses a hardware switch to switch between two different BIOS...

Samsung in doing the wrong thing here, this is clear as they're overclocking the SoC without user knowing or permission and in a situation that only benefit Samsung them selfs and not the user ( Benchmarks doesn't reflect Real-world performance )

If the SoC will run at maximum clock it is designed for and this clock is available to all software it's not a problem... the firmware might trigger the maximum clock always if it detect a benchmark app and that is fine to ensure that no other external element will throttle the SoC ( like power saving mode )... and this is what is now being discovered in some major manufacturers... or the SoC might just detect the demanding app and run at full speed which is the case when you run a demanding game...

Just to mention there's multiple factors
1- What the platform is capable of : trigger the maximum freq. which must be equal to real-world apps too. but only in benchmarks or manually by the user
2- What the real world performance will look like : don't trigger, let the SoC decide like in the real world.. just be sure you have enough battery and the phone isn't overheating... in any way, there's no benchmark that will tell you exactly how a specific game will run, all will just give you an overview and also will let you see how well is the firmware is and how good is the optimisation that the manufacturer did...
3- Want to cheat... will... do what Samsung did !!

Not against samsung, I already have Note 2 and S4, the latest Sony I have are Xperia ARC and Xperia S... but that thing isn't a good practice and I consider it as cheating to show that their devices scores better !!
MartenR
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-10-03 20:48
Does anybody know if Z1 is actually selling well?
aussiefella
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-10-04 00:58

@amardeep
I looked at some phones in-shop a while ago, and concluded I liked the iPhone size better than all the larger Android phones I saw. The Z1 f and one mini aren't lots bigger so I'll have another look once the Z1 f is out (assuming it comes to Europe). No rush to replace my ray though (always liked the SX design too).

ahh yeah no worries ay. i was worried you were one of those people who just adore iphone more than any other phone regardless.
im definitely wanting a smaller sized phone. i have galaxy nexus now and even it gets a bit bulky in my pants when i'm working. I used to have x10i and it was pretty good size (i was holding it the other day to compare) just too thick.
[ This Message was edited by: aussiefella on 2013-10-04 00:00 ]
rickrz
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-10-04 03:08
Docomo to announce xperia zf at October 10 (xperia blog)

Leaving us how many others devices to launch this year?

Xperia tablet Z2 and?
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-04 03:39
Xperiablog is guessing the Zf might be announced - no guarantees on that yet.
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-10-04 05:19

On 2013-10-03 12:59:04, Tsepz_GP wrote:

Nope, I think you misunderstand the concept of real world test scenario

Imagine this, Benchmark is Dyno to run full test your car must start from zero, it same treat on smartphone that require to start from idle clock (the lowest) not in cheater way that setup full speed as it's happening now.
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-10-04 11:57
Great explanation from Xajel, very much appreciated.

I really want an announcement soon for the global Z1F if there is one, desperate for a new phone of a reasonable size. It's very quiet in terms of leaks or information.
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2013-10-04 15:37
Sony Aims to Be World’s No. 3 Handset Maker
http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-eur[....]-be-worlds-no-3-handset-maker/

He said the breaking up of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB—the joint venture with Sweden’s Ericsson that ran from 2001 to 2011—meant that for the first time, the company has access to the full range of technology from the parent company.
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2013-10-04 14:39 ]
T610i-K700i-K750i-W700i-W810i-W560i-P1i-W910i-G900i-W595i-X10mini-Cedar-Xperia U-Xperia S-XZ Premimum
xdomino996
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-10-04 20:26
Randomuser, Z2 in 1H2014, or 2H2014?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic