Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > SONY Xperia Rumors 2013 Edition

Author SONY Xperia Rumors 2013 Edition
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-24 03:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
mzr7: According to insiders the Z1 did not launch with its proper camera firmware due to delays of some sort. One person suggested it had something to do with a legal matter. Anyways, as of approx 2 weeks ago the insiders were hinting that the proper firmware was about a month away. I don't think we've heard much since then though, so no idea if it's still on track.

Dunno about any other possible updates for Z1 or any of the other phones though. Hopefully we'll see more optimizations related to screen and battery life. The performance already seems to be pretty much top notch so I don't think there's much room for improvement there.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-24 06:22
sorry talk about Z1 in here but it's kinda dead in here anyway..

@vivftp - someone posted on XDA they got 10 hrs of video playback at 40% brightness. battery seems fine to me..
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-24 07:03

On 2013-09-24 06:22:49, moogoo wrote:
sorry talk about Z1 in here but it's kinda dead in here anyway..

@vivftp - someone posted on XDA they got 10 hrs of video playback at 40% brightness. battery seems fine to me..

Excellent.

Compared to my x10a with its unreliable battery life, this will be AMAZING! I suppose I'll use my tablet far less with this around... until I get my VAIO Flip that is.
mzr7
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-24 07:10
No no I mean for future phones is Sony working on getting the kinks out of its system? Basically the software to be up to date and fully optimized(Just the camera) when it it packed in that box off the production line. Last I heard there was confusion between who will do it Lund or tokyo and no synergy between the hardware and software teams.
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-24 07:30
Interesting. I was just using the Digital Versus comparison tool where they compare shots from the iPhone 5S, Lumia 1020, Galaxy S4, LG G2, Xperia Z1 and iPhone 5. Here's a direct link:

http://www.digitalversus.com/[....]bf801e6cea6d2b250cec8eeba4cdfb

I suggest scrolling down to the category on the left for Detail 100%. You can grab any of the samples and move them about to see anywhere on the larger sample test image. For the majority of the image, it actually seems like the Z1 resolves more detail than all of the other phones except for the Lumia. It does get soft in the top and bottom left corners, but looking at most of the image in the center and the right, it seems to produce better results than the others. There is a certain level of noise present on the Z1s shot overall though and it's barely noticable in some areas and very noticable in others. Hopefully these are the little parts that'll be fixed in the big camera update that's coming
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-24 07:31
@vivftp - kinda funny how someone can get 10 hrs of video playback yet GSMarena with its "comprehensive" battery test can't even come close to that number. Just goes to show you that their battery test isn't all that accurate!

@mrz7 - let's hope so. That is the path Sony is looking to go down for the future. No more independent silos, but working as a cohesive organization to produce the best products possible. Disputes between departments are inevitable. but at least they will be talking and hopefully, in the end, we the consumer will benefit.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-24 07:35
D'OH!

I meant to post the above in the Z1 thread, lol... ah well

moogoo: true... I suppose screen brightness, running apps, and breaking in the battery are all factors too. Plus of course theirs was a pre-production unit. Plus I guess the type of video file? How processor intensive it is, what app you're using and how efficient it is... probably a lot of factors in play there.

In GSMs defense though, I suppose they do the exact same test on all phones, so at least there is overall consistency there. Or at least there should be.
supercoolman
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-24 08:21
@vivftp

with truly differentiating features, you can't have one test applies and being fair to all anymore.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-24 08:23
^not necessarily. they might play the same video in the same format, but there's no indication if they use other settings on an equal basis. as was mentioned before, the Z1 has X-reality, which adds a whole other level of processing to every frame of video. That alone should cause more battery drain than another device without the enhanced video processing..

i've tried looking quickly, but didn't see anywhere on GSMarena where they layout exactly how they test each device..
moogoo
supercoolman
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-24 08:49

On 2013-09-24 08:23:16, moogoo wrote:
^not necessarily. they might play the same video in the same format, but there's no indication if they use other settings on an equal basis. as was mentioned before, the Z1 has X-reality, which adds a whole other level of processing to every frame of video. That alone should cause more battery drain than another device without the enhanced video processing..

i've tried looking quickly, but didn't see anywhere on GSMarena where they layout exactly how they test each device..

for example, when playing the same video, how do you take out the difference between hardware decoding, efficiency of software decoding...etc?
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-24 09:33
^supercoolman. you can't. but that's the point of the battery test, I suppose. Given the abilities/features of the phone, how long does it last to play a video? while browsing the web?

I don't have a problem with their test per se. I have a problem with them not detailing exactly how they tested each device and their attempt to compare all different types of devices, without giving clear caveats for the differences in abilities and features.

just my opinion. perhaps i'm too picky
moogoo
pmugghc
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-24 13:11
Competition: Samsung just announced their own sensor tech, sampling in 4Q:

http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]or-low-light-abilities_id47711

randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-09-24 13:15
Not really. Samsung has a couple of years to go to even come close to Sony when it comes to making image sensors
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-09-24 14:59
Right now Sony needs to find a way to port that image processing in the RX100II to the Xperias asap, Sony always had the best hardware in my opinion which is why alot of hackers are interested in their devices (playstation, PSP, PSVita and even the old sonyericsson had a lot of custom camera drivers, audio drivers and patches)

Software had always been their weakness for quite a long time now. Hopefully One Sony philosophy fixes that.
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
nodarsixar
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-24 14:59
vivo cameraphone

https://www.facebook.com/phot[....]8242187&type=1&theater
NO
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi